The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hanging a Mirror to haul a horse alone

Has anyone ever hung a mirror in the horse compartment to keep a horse calm when they are hauling alone? I have a horse that loads great stands calmly in the trailer until you step out, he just hates to be alone. We haul on a regular basis and it is just as traumatic every time for him, but I can't justify bringing along a buddy just because. If you have, how big of a mirror and where did you hang it? I have a 2 horse slant that I leave open (with him tied) so that he doesn't feel so clausterphobic, and that helps a little. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TBDressage916 View Post
    Has anyone ever hung a mirror in the horse compartment to keep a horse calm when they are hauling alone? I have a horse that loads great stands calmly in the trailer until you step out, he just hates to be alone. We haul on a regular basis and it is just as traumatic every time for him, but I can't justify bringing along a buddy just because. If you have, how big of a mirror and where did you hang it? I have a 2 horse slant that I leave open (with him tied) so that he doesn't feel so clausterphobic, and that helps a little. Thanks!
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster unless you get a special shatterproof one.

Also, most horses tend to be weirded out by mirrors in indoors and stuff, not comforted.

2 members found this post helpful.

Get a mini as a travel companion. Mirrors are a nightmare waiting to happen, and I agree, horses are not birds who are comforted by a mirror's image.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=0&SourceID=69

this is the study I found, and I've heard people on the track use the trick, a mini is out of the question, I go everywhere alone, I can not deal with a second problem when we get where we are going!

I gave my bonnie a sheet of mirrored plexiglass I bought on ebay. It is shatterproof, was cheap, and she loves it. She talks to her reflection in her stall all the time. I don't see why it wouldn't work in the trailer too. Search for mirrored acrylic- and buy the thicker sheet- the thinner one is too bendy.

hmm got a thumbs down for that- probably from the "stall mirror" companies that sell the exact same thing for $$$

We use mirrors on infants in the hospital to comfort them so they do not feel alone (particularly for twins or triplets who must be separated due to illness just after birth) and it has been shown to help.

I guess it makes sense that it would comfort some horses too. Perhaps horse brain = infant human brain ;-)
    Here is the exerpt that I found re: a study that was done in horses.
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horse...370/48292.html

Thanks everyone! I'm going to look into the shatterproof plexiglass, and I'll try it in the stall before I put it up in the trailer just to make sure it doesn't make him more upset!

I hung mirrors on the back doors of my trailer when I hauled my weanling home from South Dakota two years ago. He rode backwards during the trip with his new "friend" and his hay in the back. He handled the 11-hour trip like he had been doing it his whole life -- stayed quiet and drank water when offered. The mirrors were covered with lip marks when we got home.

Here's a picture of the setup:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/IMG_0706.jpg

They were plastic mirrors that I ordered online (forget where I ordered them). I mounted them using sticky velcro pieces and sealed the edges with duct tape.

His stall has two of these mirrors in it (from a previous experiment) and he will often stop to greet his "friend" when he comes in from the pasture.

When I took him to his first horse show this summer, I mounted one of the mirrors on a thin board and hung it in his stall. I wasn't sure if it was helping (he was very upset) but I took the mirror down on the second day as I was packing up, and he began to levitate after that.

Needless to say, I think this is an excellent idea for your horse.

I hung mirrors on the back doors of my trailer when I hauled my weanling home from South Dakota two years ago. He rode backwards during the trip with his new "friend" and his hay in the back. He handled the 11-hour trip like he had been doing it his whole life -- stayed quiet and drank water when offered. The mirrors were covered with lip marks when we got home.

Here's a picture of the setup:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/IMG_0706.jpg

They were plastic mirrors that I ordered online (forget where I ordered them). I mounted them using sticky velcro pieces and sealed the edges with duct tape.

His stall has two of these mirrors in it (from a previous experiment) and he will often stop to greet his trailer buddy "friend" when he comes in from the pasture.

When I took him to his first horse show this summer, I mounted one of the mirrors on a thin board and hung it in his stall. I wasn't sure if it was helping (he was very upset) but I took the mirror down on the second day as I was packing up, and he began to levitate after that.

Needless to say, I think this is an excellent idea for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by shayaalliard View Post
    hmm got a thumbs down for that- probably from the "stall mirror" companies that sell the exact same thing for $$$
    Absolutely
    - cause they got nothing better to do ... "stall mirror" sales being so slow an all, now that you've revealed your DIY version ...

It certainly can't be from someone who is already a COTH member an just didn't happen to agree with your comment ...
    Nope it's those "stall mirror" sales reps

Welcome to the non-exclusive world of Thumbs Down Paranoia

I bought the little one from this company to use as my mirror in the dressing rooms of the trailer.

http://www.silktree.com/p25.html

they do have a larger one for horses. I did buy it (not sure what happened to it) for my horse that weaved on the trailer. Never did a thing for him. He weaves when other horses onboard as well tho......

anyway they are plexiglass, so it makes sense to buy a cheaper non-horsey version. Mine came with a magnet on the back, would be easy to replicate. Or you could drill holes and use string to mount int trailer.