The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default *facepalm* some people refuse to learn

From a fb group I belong to (Minnesota Horses):

OP "Patti is a registered paint (APHA). She is well broke and is 14.5 hands high. Patti is a very friendly horse and is good with kids. We are looking for a good home. We want to sell her to someone that will give her lots of love and attention. Asking $500.00 cash"

Poster 1 "14.2 or 15.1? 14.5 isnt correct measurement. Also is she buddy sour at all? How does she do with electric fences?"

OP "you are correct with the meaurement system of hands. However, she is in the 14 hands category and that can differ by how the horse is standing or where on the whithers the measurement is taken. She is slightly buddy sour but all horse are. And she "

Poster 1 "Okay so she's 14 what? 14.2? Not every horses are buddy sour it's the rider letting it get away with being alpha. I understand it differs for measurement but if you measure a horse on level ground and the horse is standing square to the highest point of the withers that's how tall the horse is. People always claim there horses are bigger then they are too."

OP "Patti is a registered paint (APHA). She is well broke and is 14.5 hands high. Patti is a very friendly horse and is good with kids. However, we don't let our kids ride her alone as they are only 3. We are looking for a good home. We want to sell her to someone that will give her lots attention. Asking $500.00 cash. Thanks."

Myself "14.5 hands is not how you express how you measure a horse! A hand is 4". When a horse is 14 and a half hands, or 14 hands 2 inches, you write it as 14.2 hands."

Poster 2 "I think she got the point when other people told her "

Myself "Well, after other people told her she repeated it incorrectly, so no, I don't think she did."

Poster 2 "eeassyy there "

Poster 3 "I think she got it..its her horse if she wants to refer to the horse being 14.5 hands even after being told different do you really need to be rude about it? Come on...positive comments! Instead of saying how she is incorrect, comment on trying to help her sell the horse...please! We need to be better than this..help each other out."

OP "Thanks everybody for the corrections....I do apologize. I really don't appreciate the drama that some of you are creating...My biggest concerns is finding my horse a good home. It's not on being politically correct. I apologize if you guys don't understand that. To those of you who are being rude and disrespectful, should maybe think on how you make me feel and others that disrespect. I'm a very kind and caring person and it really bothers me that there are people out there that bully and cause hurt to people. Please stop. And just for a side note my husband (since he was a young boy) has always measured his horses this way. The people around our area do the same thing, so I would appreciate it if you all would respect the way we do it and let it go already. Thank you!"

Myself "Exactly how is informing someone as to how to correctly write an expression of how tall a horse is being rude or being not politically correct?"

So, just wondering, because I do not think I am being rude, bullying, or (lol) not being politically correct, what other people think of this transpondence.

5 members found this post helpful.

Usually, it's best to just walk away. I'm laughing my ____ off though. Try dog rescue, they're worse.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Okay...so basically if you've got a height requirement in the horse you're looking for, let's say you don't want anything under 14.3, and you're interested in this lady's horse you're pretty much screwed because she can't be arsed to say how tall she is?

She expects people to drive out and look at her 14.5hh mare who might be 14.2 or might be 15.1 or might be any height really depending on where she's standing?

Somebody needs to remind this lady it's a buyer's market. If she wants to get her mare in a good home because that is paramount (just before winter no less) the least she could do is pull her head out of her wazoo, trod out to the barn and measure her properly.

All that whinging about rudeness and hurt feelings and she couldn't just answer the darn question. Yep, prattling on about your hurt feelings while refusing to give a straight answer about something so simple as the horse's height will really get that buddy sour mare sold. Oh but that's how her hubby measures them. That excuses everything.

9 members found this post helpful.

Lol! How tall is the horse?! Now I'm dying to know!

Yep, lauraky, dog rescue interactions can be exactly like that.... with prospective adopters and the general public, too!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Okay, I don't understand the "politically correct" part; is she saying it's nasty to refer to horses as short, or buddy sour, or something?

Or, being in Minnesota, is she suggesting Norwegians use the .5 instead of .2, and pointing out the difference is akin to telling Sven and Ole jokes??

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

One more reason to avoid FB like the Plague.

OK - I'l play Devil's Advocate here.
    Is it possible the DH said something like:
    "Ole Patti is 14 & 1/2 hands high." < meaning 14.2?

Maybe DW doesn't know how to measure and took his words literally.
    14 & 1/2 = 14.5

Really: how much difference is there between 14.2 & 15.1 - 3"?
    Would that really make so much difference?
    Now between 15h and 17h, yup...
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Eh, some people are picky like that though. I know a few trail riders who have had major knee surgeries in the past and 2 or 3 inches can make a big difference to them when trying to mount from the ground out on the trail. My mom's one of them and she's got a set height she won't go above when looking for a horse (14.3 is her cut-off, she won't go an inch higher). Myself, I'm a curvy gal and don't care for anything under 15hh.

So yeah, a few inches can make or break a sale for some people. Add to that if this lady throws such a hissy fit over being asked to clarify the horse's actual height how much of a stark-raving drama queen could she potentially turn into when it comes to prying other information out of her about the horse? I'd bet asking for details on the buddy-sour issue could elicit some histrionics too from the sound of it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I always assume 14.5 hands is 14 1/2 hands (or, 14.2) because I never .... ok very rarely .... see anyone with a 14.6 hand horse.
    I suppose if someone were THAT concerned about the exact measurement you could say, "14.5 hands... how many inches is that?"

And yes, actually I thought the responses seemed a bit unnecessary because unless someone was SUPER interested in the horse - and extraordinarily concerned about a couple inches in height - then it does enough to describe the horse's general height. Also going into what makes a horse buddy sour... sounds like someone is trying to make the seller sour. OTOH, I would hardly call the responses "bullying".

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

14 & 1/2 = 14.5

Well,yes. It DOES make a difference. Suppose someone looked at the ad and thought, "Ah, if it's 14.2 (14.5 = 14 and a half hands?) it might make a good show pony for my kid. If it's 14.3 or bigger, not interested." So, 3" can be a BIG difference.

4 members found this post helpful.

It would make an important differance 2DogsFarm if somone was looking for a horse that would measure as a pony.

But it's just this refusal to learn to do something correctly, something so simple and easy to understand, that makes my head hurt

LauraKY you are right, I should just walk away...

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

14 & 1/2 = 14.5

I agree with this, and I may be the odd one out here, but OP, I did think your comments were a little rude. If you have no interest in buying the horse why did you even bother to post on the fb page?

I just can't handle the stupid (as in ignorant) FBers sometimes. I belong to two in WA, and sometimes my fingers ITCH to type something along the lines of "really?"

The best was someone selling a Moresian (sp, Morgan x Friesian, which sounds like Morgan Freeman ) colt. She was trying to do right with HIS AD, some good video of a suckling and excellent stills, the colt was really advertising himself. Out of curiosity, I asked about parents. She told me the only pictures of the dam were the ones with the colt, and sent me a four year old picture of a two year old Friesian covered in MUD, literally the entire part of all four legs, his belly, and caked into his tail and mane, for the sire. What the what? And WAIT! A girl posts after some back-n-forth about his final height, and she asks if the colt will be "too tall" to bred to QH mares, because that would be her plan. :facepalm:

The only time I have posted was when a 15 year old girl was posting saying she was available to give lessons. I asked her if she had liability insurance, and if she would be able to get it with her parents as she was under age. I was a big ole meany.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Yeah, Im with you Crackerdog! (which I keep typing as CrackerGod!)

When I call about a horse, I get a feel for the seller and basically if it sounds in the ball park of something I'm interested in. "Patti" sounds like a paint mare who could be between 14 and 15h (she could also be a Hanovarian stallion-you never know till you take a look!). The owner could have just discovered she had cancer, her kid is having problems, her husband laid off-who knows but for whatever reason getting an exact height isn't the top of her priority list. I don't know what the point of arguing with her is-I really don't care if she understands measurment or not, Im only interested in whether or not I've heard enough to go look at the thing. I am attentive when any owner says "Yes, but all horses do that" about ANY behavior!! It says to me, "okay the owner wants to sell this beast and is likely not a terrific reporter". All that factors in to whether I am interested in proceeding further but I don't see where arguing with the seller gets me very far. I just take it all as information. As all the CL ads and others attest, people will say/do just about any damn thing with horses ("No, I couldn't bear to cut him, it so cruel, but he's so pretty he looks just like the horse on the cover of King of the Wind and we think he's make such a GREAT child's horse! He's nine now and we've never even put a halter on him but I think he knows his name!!")

Yes, but if you're looking for a pony, specifically, a 15hh horse is not the ticket. A couple of inches can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Yes, but if you're looking for a pony, specifically, a 15hh horse is not the ticket. A couple of inches can make a difference.
    Then I'd have to ask myself, "Do I feel lucky?"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Then I'd have to ask myself, "Do I feel lucky?"

Just one more reason why I am so happy I gave up facebook two months ago.
    And I sure do not miss it!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

It's funny, you wouldn't let it lie, either, so I suppose both parties warrant a facepalm.

I've found that horses are almost ALWAYS shorter than they are advertised!! I always "read" 14.5 as 14.2, but how about 14.4??? Now THAT one I'll never figure out. Years ago I called about a 15 hand horse for my daughter...never went to look though because the seller admitted that she thought there were "3" inches to a hand....uhhhhhhhhh... that would be an error of 15"!!! Some times people just don't want to "know"!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Argh soapbox: SOMEONE TELLING YOU SOMETHING NEGATIVE IS NOT BULLYING. If I say Justin Bieber is stupid, that is not bullying Justin Bieber. If I give Justin Bieber a wedgie and steal his lunch/iTunes royalty money and put naked pictures of him all over the locker room, that is bullying. "Your horse is not 14.5 hands" is not freaking bullying. When we call everything that is not sunshine and unicorns crapping rainbows "bullying," actual nasty dehumanizing emotionally crippling bullying is reduced to the same level as "you said something factually incorrect on an internet BB."

Argh.

21 members found this post helpful.