The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Frank Angst's article on Salix at BC

Can I get an amen? Anyone else see this article in the Bloodhorse?

Quote from Mark Casse about Spring in the Air bleeding after the juvenile fillies: "She walked around for 30 minutes choking and coughing," said Casse, noting he wished he'd filmed it so Salix-ban supporters could see what a horse goes through during EIPH.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Could you post a link. I agree with Casse, those who support banning lasix should have to cool out a horse that has bled. It will be interesting to see how Spring in the Air comes back. Some horses are never the same after bleeding IMO.

It still amazes me that most of the world can race without Lasix, but America can't figure it out.

Edit: Actually, I wish I were amazed, unfortunately.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Perhaps this article is something to think about.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...nherited-trait

Somewhere , somehow someone must give this some thought.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

2 members found this post helpful.

Seemed logical to me that this was out there somewhere, Merrygoround. Thanks for providing the supporting documentation.

Was always amazing how well horses who did well in NY ran without it - and how so many who were used to it from other states did poorly when coming here.

But then once let in, and its use was ok'd everywhere, things started going downhill. If a horse is a bleeder, than maybe he/she shouldn't be running. The response to that will be, "but then you're talking about a lot of horses!". Right.

Would like to know what lines Mandella was talking about.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Horses run OK in UK and Ireland without using drugs. But then, should one bleed (which is not very common) they are shipped off to the USA.

Not to be unsympathetic to the plight and pain of Spring in the Air because nobody would wish that upon any horse .. however how many other JVs in the Breeders' Cup experienced such problems? Anyone?

I don't have the answer but I suspect if there was another Spring In the Air like case it would've been publicly cited just as often.

So with that said honestly one notable case out of all of the 2-yr old runners is more proof that it might not be as necessary as some claim it is. I'll admit that absent of physical illness we'll all likely never know if performances were compromised. e.g. the horse finished but just not with the expected run. Although you hear that after just about every race for the also rans.

Some horse may always need it but it does beg the question should those horses be running?

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Not to be unsympathetic to the plight and pain of Spring in the Air because nobody would wish that upon any horse .. however how many other JVs in the Breeders' Cup experienced such problems? Anyone?

I don't have the answer but I suspect if there was another Spring In the Air like case it would've been publicly cited just as often.
    Two of John Sadler's 2yos also bled, including Capo Bastone who ran 3rd in the Juvenile. He's been just as vocal about his anger with the results as Casse has. There were several others who had difficulty as well--run by trainers who don't wish to buck the system publicly.

So it wasn't just one filly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Drugs absolve one of worrying about bleeders in the breeding shed. That's the bad thing.

Racing was devised to prove your breeding strengths, not grab money. America seems to have been going backwards in this respect.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Nov. 21, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

And even though it used to be prohibited in NY, I doubt how well that suggestion would go over now, since NY's breeding program has exploded since that rule was in effect.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

How can it be good to breed horses that break down unless you drug them ? All you'll get is more of the same.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I don't think bute or salix should be used in racehorses but if they have to be I do not think they have any place in stakes or breeding animals. If you want to use those drugs, fine, geld and spay those animals so they don't pass their defects on to the next generation.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

[QOUTE=Equibrit;6677719]How can it be good to breed horses that break down unless you drug them ? All you'll get is more of the same.[/QUOTE]

Break down? Do you mean bleed out or actually break down on the track from an injury?

I'm not trying to nitpick your terminology, I just think there is a huge difference in "breaking down" and bleeding out, not sure which you were referring to.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Who's to say what qualifies as a breakdown and what precipitates a horse being injured and eventually euthenized ? It's really just a matter of degree. If a horse suffers physical damage as a result of racing he has broken down. ie; he is NOT FIT TO RACE, and should definitely not be used to proliferate the weakness on.
    This is a very interesting read; http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us...anted=all&_r=0
    ... _. ._ .._. .._