The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Changing yards and trainer!

So, things have been going less than stellar at my yard for the last few months and it has (finally) become clear to me its not going to get better.

So today I went to visit a possible new place and I loved it. The space itself is gorgeous, the arenas are all very nicely kept and the trainer comes with great reference and looked lovely today.

I'll be talking to my current trainer tomorrow telling her I'll be leaving at the end of the month.

Now, I really want everything to go smoothly, so I come here for the endless knowledge of Cothers!

Any advice on how to break the news to my current trainer? Should I expect her to keep giving me lessons until the end of the month? Its already paid for...

And what about the new place? Any specific advice to keep everything as drama free as possible? What is the best way to get the respect without annoying everybody out on the first week?

I've been at this yard for 4 years and I guess I'm out of practice... Plus I hate messy situations!

As an instructor I would recommend that before you make the break you may want to do a "test" lesson with the new trainer. Or at least watch several lessons to get an idea of how she teaches and what she works on.
    If you paid for the lessons then yes your current trainer should either continue to the end of the month or refund the unused lesson fees.
    Just tell your current trainer you need a change. Thank her for her time and effort. Don't burn bridges, be polite. I just wonder if you have made any attempt to get your current trainer to change things to better the situation. Have you actually discussed your issues with her? If not, don't be surprised if she is upset with your decision, if she doesn't know you have a problem she can't possibly fix it.
    At the new place, it's better to ask questions than make assumptions. That way everyone will know you are a newbie and most likely will be willing to assist you in finding your way. The best way to get respect is to be respectful of others and their horses.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wink

Good advice to watch several lessons, as some students require a different approach than others. If you like what you see, book a lessons yourself, if possible.

As for your present trainer, just quietly state that you are moving, thank her/him for all their input. Keep it as pleasant as possible.

Do remember, no teacher owns a student, no barn owns a boarder. Hope he/she realizes this and is gracious about your departure. If not, more reason to leave.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

You're giving her three days notice?

Unless there is something egregiously bad going on that you are moving because of, that is not cool.

First of all, thank you for all your advice.

Well, I've discussed things with her a bunch of times, but it just isn't working. Her priorities have unfortunately changed and I need someone on my side to help me accomplish things. She's only focused on her own life and horses, and ends up not doing her job when it comes to my horse.

As to the new trainer, I have seen him ride several times and this weekend went to our national championship finally only to watch how he handles competition and students. I have not done a test ride, but I have really enjoyed seeing him teach others.

I know its really bad to only give a couple of days notice but if the horse stays there until the first of December I'll have to pay the hole month, and I only made the final decision after watching the new trainer last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    I know its really bad to only give a couple of days notice but if the horse stays there until the first of December I'll have to pay the hole month, and I only made the final decision after watching the new trainer last weekend.
    That is really scummy. And most trainers have a contract in thier board agreement that says you must give and pay for 30 days notice. Even if your horse is not at the barn you still must pay for 30 days. Check your contract. You never know when you will need a bridge, no sense in burning one.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    First of all, thank you for all your advice.

Well, I've discussed things with her a bunch of times, but it just isn't working. Her priorities have unfortunately changed and I need someone on my side to help me accomplish things. She's only focused on her own life and horses, and ends up not doing her job when it comes to my horse.

As to the new trainer, I have seen him ride several times and this weekend went to our national championship finally only to watch how he handles competition and students. I have not done a test ride, but I have really enjoyed seeing him teach others.

Yeah, welcome to life and how to be a decent human being.

You give notice now, sit tight for December, and THEN move. At this date she has certainly already bought shavings and feed for your horse for December.

If you want respect and for people to like you at the new place, then behave like someone who is considerate of others and worthy of that respect.

Being a sheister whenever it's convenient for you is a life motif lots of people can sniff out in a hot second.

4 members found this post helpful.

I agree with meup! If you want to have a good reputation as a fair/honest horseperson, you give notice in the next few days, wait out the 30 days and depart gracefully at the end of the month.

MeUp and Tasker have it right. That is way too short notice. If she knew you were leaving, she could have made plans to fill that stall for Dec, now she won't have time. Even if you want to move your horse 12/1, the most fair thing would be to pay for Dec anyway.

If you want to avoid barn drama, treat others fairly and inform them of your plans well in advance. Don't be the source of the drama by removing your horse with a few days notice!!
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.