The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Low budget/redneck horse vacuum.

If ya got the bucks, ya can buy an electrogroom. And I would also get a private jet, a sports car, new truck and trailer, and a horse property with all the bells and whistles near an awesome ski resort. But alas and alack- I have thus far not yet won the lottery. On the other vacuum thread folks talked about the dirt devil hand held vacuum. I might consider that but I have a sensitive OTTB and I'm not sure the brush would be soft enough for her. Also for those who use shop vacs which model do you use and where did you locate horse brush type attachments (assuming you use them). Thanks a ton. My girl is going blanket less this year and she sure gets a lot of dirt that seems to stick to here no matter how much I curry and brush.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just use the hose without any attachments on it. The brush that comes for carpet works fine though. The plastic bristles aren't any rougher on the horse than a stiff horse brush. My sensitive prissy Arab doesn't mind them.

Costco sells little mini shop vacs that are the size of like a household bathroom garbage can! I am going to try one of those!

I use this one http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-...&storeId=10051

It's not as loud as some of the bigger wet/dry vacs with similar HP --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

I use my Dyson. I just carry it from the house out the barn and vacuum away. I put the little flat attachment on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    I use my Dyson. I just carry it from the house out the barn and vacuum away. I put the little flat attachment on it.
    OK, that visual made me smile.

I have a Dyson that is 10 yrs old & it is still AWESOME. Two different neighbors borrowed it this week (run on my vacuum, not sure why) & both returned it saying how much they loved it.

It is the "animal" version, so why not use it on the horse?

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    I love this image too - I think you should contact them and have them use you in a commercial!

I have one of the handheld dirt devils (suggested by Robby Johnson on a thread many years ago) - and it works great, my sensitive skinned TB don't mind it at all.
    The only thing that did go wrong, was one time I was not.paying.attention and there was a huge BLANG - I had sucked up the mane. Luckily it was AFR, and he just flinched a tad, and we carried on..................
    That little Dirt Devil has finally <cough> bit the dust, so this thread is timely for me too.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

2 members found this post helpful.

No idea what model our shop vac is. Just a typical shop vac. I think it is like 5 gallon size or some where around there.
    I do not use any shop vac attachments. Preferred horse brush in one hand, shop vac hose in the other.

Oh Fred, I love that image of your boy just wondering what Mom was doing to his mane!

As far as attachments, I have a rubber curry type of attachment that I got years ago at either Valley Vet or KV vet, don't remember which one. It's ok but depending on the size of your vac hose you might need a connector to attach the hose. (Cheap at a Vac store or hardware store)

I have 2 suggestions. (I'm a long time cleaning girl so get to try just about everything out there) As someone else suggested the smaller shopvacs are a little quieter than the big ones and work fine.

My all time favorite vac is the Eureka Mighty Mite. It is a small tank with incredible suction. You can use it in the house on hard floors to suck up all the animal hair, hay and dirt you track in, then take it out and do the horse or tack room. They are hard to kill. My current one took a huge tumble down a flight of stairs, lost a wheel but still sucks like a champ!

To make it even a little more redneck, I get them at our local Farm and Fleet, but I'm sure they are available online. I think I usually pay around $60 for them.

Just bought a dirt devil! It's has a 6.5 amp motor and a 20' cord, and a 3 year warranty. Can't wait to try it on my mud encrusted beast tomorrow. She better like it or she's going to the glue factory.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/electro...pei4b2llb2xw55

Arghh... this does not have a close up picture, but you can purchase the electro groom vacuum heads and just jimmy/rig/duct tape them onto the end of your shop vac hose. They come in 'male' and 'female' varieties. But for me this is my favorite vacuum head for grooming horses.

Mukluk - Please update us on how the DD works - I need something, too! Pros/cons if you've got time...
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.