The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse has decided she doesn't want oil in her feed anymore

So, my mare has decided all of a sudden that she no longer wants to eat her feed if we're going to put the Cocosoya oil in it. She's a pretty finicky eater so I'm not all that surprised, but she really could use the extra calories that it provides her. Am I crazy to try just syringing it into her mouth with some applesauce instead of putting it into her feed or is that going to cause me problems that I'm not thinking about?

I'd find another fat solution like Cool Calories, rice bran, etc. It may be the amount she's not too thrilled with, so cutting it back and adding in one of the above may help
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

could you maybe back off the amount of oil and try another fat source with it? Like Cool Calories, rice bran, etc?

ETA: hah Chocomare and I posted the same idea at the same exact time.

I use Cocosoya also, and it tends to get rancid pretty quick (and my horses will all quit eating it). Give it a good smell - it just might be slightly past its prime and you'll have to get a fresher bottle (it won't smell horrible, just "off" and not sweet). I used to order the giant 5-gallon jug and keep that at the barn, but it goes rancid too quickly in the heat, so now I keep the 5-gal jug at home and fill up a 1-gallon jug to stay at the barn so it doesn't go bad as quickly.

To answer your question though, yes you can syringe it into the mouth (plain without applesauce is fine) with a big dose syringe.

What else is she eating?

I thought about it being rancid, but I just bought the bottle a week ago. I can't imaging that it's gone rancid already but I suppose I should take a good whiff of it.

As for what she's eating :

3.5 Qts Fibergized Omeaga 3x daily
    AM she gets a scoop of U-Gard and 1 pump of the Cocosoya Oil
    Lunch she gets 1 pump of Cocosoya Oil and her Succeed
    PM she gets a scoop of U-Gard, her hoof supplement and SmartMuscle Mass

We've tried to put her on Cool Cals and she won't touch them. I don't know if it's the smell (i thought they smelled pretty good myself) or the taste but they're on her long list of things she won't touch..along with rice bran, Purina's Amplify, Weight Builder, Fat Cat. I swear I own the worlds most picky eater!

Maybe she's not eating because her tummy hurts. I'd try 2 weeks of UlcerGard.

That's always a possibility. She has a pretty extensive history of hind-gut ulcers. Though, normally, when her ulcers flare up she goes off food completly. Right now she'll eat (and eats like a ravenous pig)....as long as you don't include the oil.

2 pumps of oil/day? I think that equals 2 oz? That is such a small amount, you should have no problem finding another fat source. I liked HardKeeper Solution.

Or just up her grain a little bit. We're only talking 500 calories/day here...it's really not hard to make that up.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you're only talking 500 calories, add a cup of flax seed into her dinner, or split into feedings.....get the shiny coat benefits too.
    Kerri

I may have to try the HardKeeper Solution. It looks like SmartPak carries it so I should be able to get them to ship my some samples to see if she'll eat it.

Hmm, I don't know! Maybe it was a slightly different batch that tasted funny or different to her. Ukele makes a powdered CocoSoya supplement now. I haven't tried it yet, but that would be an option.

I can add a fair amount of oil to my mare's alfalfa cubes, then her other supplements, then add enough water to soften the cubes. In the winter, up to a cup of oil.

Adding more than a drizzle to her other concentrate makes it greasy. She doesn't like greasy.

I feed up to 35oz of oil to my picky-eater every day, by mixing it with her mash. The mash consists of 2 scoops of alfa-A, 2 scoops of beet pulp and 5 scoops of bran. She absolutely loves it and will stop eating her concentrates to gorge on her "soup".

It has a lot of cool calories and fibre. I'm not concerned about the imbalance of phosphorous in the mash as I also feed Calphormin.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    Hmm, I don't know! Maybe it was a slightly different batch that tasted funny or different to her.
    I got a batch of cocosoya that was just nasty and burnt smelling. Horses would not touch it. Now I melt coconut oil and mix it into Mccauley's Omega-Bran.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I have never had any luck with adding oil to my picky eater's feed. I simply have to give more feed and I did increase her ground flax to a full cup when she came back from the trainer and needed some additional weight.

Since she has been placed on pop rocks her appetite has improved greatly.

Good Luck picky eaters will drive you crazy when they go on strike!

my older gelding won't touch his grain if you put corn oil in it. An old barn I boarded at added too much oil too quickly to his diet and now he won't touch it. Feed him the DAC Oil or Cocosoya and he licks the bowl clean.

I had the same experience with Cocosoya oil. After about four months, my mare that is usually a voracious eater decided she didn't like it Neither of my horses would touch the Cocosoya pellets from Smartpak. Right now, I'm not using a fat supplement, but I fed Gain & Gleam last year with great results. My horses' coats were so shiny that several other boarders started ordering it