The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I meant to add that the other goodies to think about are:
    1. blocks that have velcro (so you can move them where ever)
    ~this sames me. I take the front blocks and cram them up as high and forward as they will go.
    2. and long billets of course. After having long billets I can't go back. The girth and buckles bug with BOOGERS out of me now when I'm in a short billet saddle.

And then it depends on what kind of seat you want too.
    I love my Prestige most of all--they have flat seat.
    The other saddle I used was a Stubben Genesis--it's only a med deep seat but unless my seat is fairly flat, it gets in my way (especially on drops)

So there are lots of aspects to think about when you have a budget that allows you to get exactly what you want!
    Monoflaps are tough because you have to fit in them the way they come. The blocks are fixed so they better be the right size and in the correct place for your comfort.

I always convert saddles that don't have velcro--it's very easy to do and can be done at home and be very professional looking. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

The talk of seats is a good one. And now that it has been brought up, I've been thinking about it.

I think I prefer flat or medium deep. One of my complaints about the Albion was that I didn't feel like I could get "away" from it. I could crank my stirrups and stand straight legged at a gallop (not my preferred method) and still get smacked in the butt by the cantle. The Berneys are flattish, and I can gallop normally in mine (in all its imperfections), and feel "free" from it. The Stubben Zaria was the same...except not forward enough so my knee popped over the edge of the flap.

So, thanks for reminding me about that.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Since you have time to make a decision, the Mike Corcorans are very high my personal list to find out more about. Everything that I've heard about his saddles and fitting has been very positive. At least contact him and find out what he might have that would do for you.

I love the Stubben Roxane S for a middle priced saddle. I'd be interested in knowing what Jenny thinks about it.
    I like Mike Corcoran, but I ditto others re: regional availability issues. Just like I like Southern Stars for certain situations (not yellowbritches' situation, but others), but they're harder to get if you're not in Texas.

Re: the Roxane S, it's a love-it-or-hate-it saddle for riders. Very deep seat, very forward flap, and thus very hard to get out of. It makes for a very secure ride on XC but many people can't get their bodies out of it. It definitely has a place in the hunt field, and some XC riders with very particular body types are well served by it. But I'd say it's a specialty product, not a product that works for a huge range of people, and I'm a big fan of certain other saddles in the Stubben lineup.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I like Mike Corcoran, but I ditto others re: regional availability issues. Just like I like Southern Stars for certain situations (not yellowbritches' situation, but others), but they're harder to get if you're not in Texas.

Re: the Roxane S, it's a love-it-or-hate-it saddle for riders. Very deep seat, very forward flap, and thus very hard to get out of. It makes for a very secure ride on XC but many people can't get their bodies out of it. It definitely has a place in the hunt field, and some XC riders with very particular body types are well served by it. But I'd say it's a specialty product, not a product that works for a huge range of people, and I'm a big fan of certain other saddles in the Stubben lineup.
    Ah! That explains a lot. I and a number of other people I know who love the Roxane S have mostly used them for foxhunting.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I can't comment for your specific horse/ you as I am not a saddle fitter or even as experienced as some of the people who have commented but I will say that I purchased a new County Sensation this fall and absolutley LOVE it. I had a formal fitting and tried multiple models. I sat in an Innovation first and thought I liked it but when I sat in the Sensation and felt the way my horse went in it I knew I had to have one. They Conquest was not for me but from my buying experience I know that they can be one of the more economical options and can be purchased new @ $3,295. (as of Mid August)

I went with the leather upgrade on my Sensation and spent a bit more but I do know that County recently was having a Demo sale so they might still have some stock available It would be worth setting up a fitting in my opinion. If you like one it shouldn't be impossible to find something used in your range with the exception of the Sensation as I believe it is the newest model.

Regardless good luck with your search and Happy Saddle Shopping! I looked into many of the options you are thinking about as well before I landed in my Sensation
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

stubben has one called the Portos that is really nice.

~Though it has very little custom options which is sucky.
    Too bad because it's lovely.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Stumbled on another Hastilow rep in Virginia, purely by accident. I don't know anything about this fitter. She also allegedly reps for Thorowgood, Kent and Masters, and Albion. (Not that it would be surprising to find someone repping for Hastilow, Kent and Masters, and Thorowgood since they are cousin brands)
    http://adcsaddlery.com/adcsaddlery/horses/

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Stumbled on another Hastilow rep in Virginia, purely by accident. I don't know anything about this fitter. She also allegedly reps for Thorowgood, Kent and Masters, and Albion. (Not that it would be surprising to find someone repping for Hastilow, Kent and Masters, and Thorowgood since they are cousin brands)
    http://adcsaddlery.com/adcsaddlery/horses/
    Ahh, cool, thank you!

purp, I really like the look of the Portos (judging from the website). I asked the rep if he could bring a demo with him when he comes. Hopefully, he will. We'll see!

One thing I've been thinking about is whether or not to have things fitted to Toby with a sheepskin or not. I prefer to use sheepskin directly on his back, but used the Albion all summer with just a square pad and no major issues. The Abion's fit changed drastically with a sheepskin under it, so I wonder what the best course of action is...fit straight to his back and suck it up and do just a square, or fit with the sheepskin?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Ahh, cool, thank you!

purp, I really like the look of the Portos (judging from the website). I asked the rep if he could bring a demo with him when he comes. Hopefully, he will. We'll see!

One thing I've been thinking about is whether or not to have things fitted to Toby with a sheepskin or not. I prefer to use sheepskin directly on his back, but used the Albion all summer with just a square pad and no major issues. The Abion's fit changed drastically with a sheepskin under it, so I wonder what the best course of action is...fit straight to his back and suck it up and do just a square, or fit with the sheepskin?
    From the looks of the picture, I am wondering if the Portos has a forward enough flap for xc. The Genesis S looks like it would. I am not a huge Stubben fan only because I like a flatter seat, but I also must admit that I've not sat in a lot of them in recent years.

http://stubbennorthamerica.com/stubb...ingsaddles.php

If you are doing a custom fit to one horse (lucky you, lucky horse!), then most definitely you should use the padding that you are planning on using. At least, that is what I would do and I think a fitter would say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    From the looks of the picture, I am wondering if the Portos has a forward enough flap for xc. The Genesis S looks like it would. I am not a huge Stubben fan only because I like a flatter seat, but I also must admit that I've not sat in a lot of them in recent years.

http://stubbennorthamerica.com/stubb...ingsaddles.php

If you are doing a custom fit to one horse (lucky you, lucky horse!), then most definitely you should use the padding that you are planning on using. At least, that is what I would do and I think a fitter would say the same.
    This I don't understand. I thought pads were a relatively new (last sixty years or so) addition to riding equipment because they make up for ill fitting saddles. If you have a saddle that really fits, you shouldn't need a pad at all.

One used to have to ride without saddle pads in Corinthian classes because they were not proper in the hunting field. I think the only "proper" pad might have been an actual sheepskin--from a dead sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    This I don't understand. I thought pads were a relatively new (last sixty years or so) addition to riding equipment because they make up for ill fitting saddles. If you have a saddle that really fits, you shouldn't need a pad at all.

One used to have to ride without saddle pads in Corinthian classes because they were not proper in the hunting field. I think the only "proper" pad might have been an actual sheepskin--from a dead sheep.
    I remember riding in those Corinthian classes with hard flat saddles. But the "thing to do" these days is to ride with a sheepskin half pad or other sort of shock absorbing pad. It does protect the saddle from sweat and I think it does add shock absorption, although who knows if its just a fad (like ear nets in November, LOL). Twenty years ago, we NEVER used anything more than a square pad under a dressage saddle. And saddles typically had very narrow gullets and were flocked with wool that was often "tight." I think I am telling my age,

hey Ann, My saddle fitter made a point to me about this other day about the fleece half pads. She was like I really don't understand why you tell me that you want a close contact feel in your saddle then you go and put a fleece pad in between you and the horse. If the saddle fits correctly all you need is a thin cotton pad. The flocking in the saddle does the shock absorbing.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm a die-hard Stubben fan, I ride in a Juventus S. I really like the looks of the Zaria and the Portos.

The thing about the used saddles from CWD, Voltaire, etc, are the fact that they are usually custom made for a specific horse and/or rider. I bought a CWD used, fit my horse great but after three months of riding in it, I hated it. The twist was very uncomfortable for me. Which I've heard from other riders as well. I rode in it two or three times before buying it. So try to get a week or so trial in the saddle in all aspects, flat and jumping.

I'd definitely go that route again but only if I had the budget to go full custom for both me and my gelding.

I spent a fair amount of time sitting in used saddles yesterday and I think the consensus is that finding what I need is HIGHLY unlikely, so I will almost undoubtedly be going new custom.

Amanda, I will be saddle shopping soon and I am most interested in the Voltaire. I think I've mentioned how I love my Devoucoux Chiberta but it only fits one of my four horses. They are pricey but they have two true xc saddles from which to choose. I know you compete at prelim so you may want to consider the true xc saddles, with short forward flap, well-positioned blocks, etc. And if you like the dual flap, I swear by the County, although a new one is out of my price range. The rep is this area is excellent, and I can give you her contact info if you want it. I think I am probably repeating myself, since this thread is so long. I think I brought up the Prestige Eventer 18 inch as I loved that saddle but had a 17 and the flap wasn't nearly forward enough. Also, I wasn't riding at prelim/intermediate when I loved that saddle... and it may not work with the very short stirrups we need at those levels, although I do know that the larger 18 inch has a comparatively more forward flap than the 17 inch has.... There is one on ebay right now.

Sun is coming up! It's Sunday which means no deer hunters and lots of trail riding! Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Amanda, I will be saddle shopping soon and I am most interested in the Voltaire. I think I've mentioned how I love my Devoucoux Chiberta but it only fits one of my four horses. They are pricey but they have two true xc saddles from which to choose. I know you compete at prelim so you may want to consider the true xc saddles, with short forward flap, well-positioned blocks, etc. And if you like the dual flap, I swear by the County, although a new one is out of my price range. The rep is this area is excellent, and I can give you her contact info if you want it. I think I am probably repeating myself, since this thread is so long. I think I brought up the Prestige Eventer 18 inch as I loved that saddle but had a 17 and the flap wasn't nearly forward enough. Also, I wasn't riding at prelim/intermediate when I loved that saddle... and it may not work with the very short stirrups we need at those levels, although I do know that the larger 18 inch has a comparatively more forward flap than the 17 inch has.... There is one on ebay right now.

Sun is coming up! It's Sunday which means no deer hunters and lots of trail riding! Woot!
    I had a Chiberta custom fitted to Rasta and I don't think I will ever forget the lovely perfect feeling of sitting in that saddle...sadly, that "custom" fit just about ruined Rasta, gave him horrible pain, and he just about sent me flying (again) every time I rode (or anyone else, including pros). Happily, once he was in a different saddle (I sent him to a an upper level rider, vet friend to be evaluated and sold), he was a totally different horse...he does have some changes in his backbone right where the recessed stirrup bars sat for months, but he's home and we're doing just fine. Moral of this story is, no matter what saddle you get, make sure there is wiggle room for you to return it if Toby tries to tell you it doesn't work for him. Again, I personally love Devoucoux saddles - riding in the Mikala dressage saddle was the best...just have not run into many folks whose horses think as highly of them as their riders.

I do like Stubbens, but the flaps are too long for me. Black Country are awesome saddles but at the same time, both of my custom BC saddles have come not fitting the very horse they were measured for...probably just bad luck on my part. So, from last April to early July, I either rode bareback or didn't ride. Went over to Mary Bess Sigman Davis' and we put her Custom Saddlery Monte Carlo on Rasta = instant happy horse. Same thing with the dressage saddles. We ended up with a demo Wofgang Solo and he's still happy in those saddles. Knowing yours and Toby's relationship, YB, I expect Toby will be the one who gets the final say...these little guys have a way of explaining stuff

I personally HATE shopping for saddles and am hoping you end up with something great for you and that cute black pony boy...going out now to kiss my saddles.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I've had a lot of saddles...lots of nice choices out there. A bit out of your price range but the next saddle I'll be getting is a Voltaire. Really like the look of them and the people I know who have them love them (as do their horses).
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I had a Chiberta custom fitted to Rasta and I don't think I will ever forget the lovely perfect feeling of sitting in that saddle...sadly, that "custom" fit just about ruined Rasta, gave him horrible pain.....
    And this is reason number 1 why I won't even consider a Devocoux. I have seen similar versions of this story played out so many times. They are entirely too much money for them to fit so, so poorly!

Re: Voltaires. I think they are going to be ultimately out of my price range, so I don't think I'm going to follow up with them, unless I get desperate. There are so many choices, it seems, that meet my criteria that I just rather move them to the bottom of the list. The other two things that have me skeptical is that they look so much like Devocoux, and considering Toby has given a resounding NO to those, I don't know if it is worth bothering with Voltaires. Also, I don't love the idea of no real choices in tree size and "custom" foam panels. None of these things make me terribly interested. I may change my mind eventually, but not at this point.

I am looking into Prestige.

I am also looking into County, but I can't tell if they will fit the budget or not.

And, yes, RFI, Toby will get the final say (and why Stubben is high on the list, since we know he's a big fan)! But, the nice thing is, since we have a little bit of money to play with, we should both come out happy in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post

Re: Voltaires. I think they are going to be ultimately out of my price range, so I don't think I'm going to follow up with them, unless I get desperate. There are so many choices, it seems, that meet my criteria that I just rather move them to the bottom of the list. The other two things that have me skeptical is that they look so much like Devocoux, and considering Toby has given a resounding NO to those, I don't know if it is worth bothering with Voltaires. Also, I don't love the idea of no real choices in tree size and "custom" foam panels. None of these things make me terribly interested. I may change my mind eventually, but not at this point.
    Out of your price range is one thing...but they fit nothing like the Devocoux. They have a similar look but that is about it. My trainer rides in them now....they fit my very difficult to fit big horse that she rides. He has HUGE shoulders, high withers and a significant curve in his back...the hardest thing about fitting him is his big shoulders. The saddle is really nice on him and flexible giving him the freedom in his shoulders. My point is that they do NOT fit like a Devocoux.

Personally right now I have a stackhouse and a devocoux. I like them both...and both fit my horses fine at the moment. But given how well the Voltaire fits my other horse....it has certainly gotten me looking at them if I need to saddle shop again (likely in another year or so given the youngsters I have coming up).

I personally hated the Prestige jumping saddle I had...and sold it pretty quickly because I disliked riding it so much. But I have friends who love their Prestige. I have a Prestige dressage saddle (Optima). HARD as a rock...not something you want to sit in for hours....but otherwise, I love it's balance and after riding in for a little while, I don't notice how hard it is.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

When you say custom, do you mean fully custom or customizable? Because if you mean fully custom, Tad Coffin and Stackhouse are out there.

Would you mind specifying in detail which saddles you tried and why each one didn't work for you and/or for Toby?