The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by nextyear View Post
    Don't think she meant about gastric problems, think she meant Baytril being used on a full or empty stomach.
    The vets were concerned about using the Baytril with my horse with the K Pen because of colitis issues, 2 days after starting Baytril his manure started to get soft and I had vet ASAP and started Bio-sponge, we did 4 days worth which cleared it up for about 10 days then had to do another 2 days worth of Bio-sponge again, the horse has been on Plat Performance Balance for a probiotic since the start along with Longevity.
    Yeah - quinolones are known for promoting C. diff infection in humans since they kill most anaerobes EXCEPT for it. Many "scholars" feel that the rise in resistant C. diff in humans is due to overuse of quinolones (among other broad spectrum antimicrobials). So giving with a probiotic is a good idea to try if narrowing your spectrum is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    The risk of tendon rupture is not something that should be taken lightly. I've seen at least 15-20 cases in humans of achilles tendon tears or frank rupture linked to the use of quinolones. For a human it's bad enough; for a horse it could be devastating. Antibiotics are not to be taken lightly and used for the heck of it, particularly this class, IMO. Probably a good thing it's pricey or people would be randomly using it (like they do sulfa and penicillin since it's so readily available) for every little case of snots or scratches.
    Is this tendon/ligament damage long-lasting? How long after medication is stopped do you need to be careful about it? A friend's horse had a MRSA-infected wound 6 months ago and was on Baytril for close to 5 weeks and this possibility was never mentioned!

The possibility of tendon damage was never mentioned to me either. A 2 week course was suggested for my gelding.

Default Baytril

My horse was on Baytril for a total of 6 weeks they were not worried about it for that time frame, but he needs to be on antibiotics for several more weeks (hope done then ) He came down with Pleuropneumonia on Sept 24th just stopped the Baytril yesterday (was off it for a bit while using other antiB)But his culture shows he is not responsive to anything but the baytril or the Chloramphenicol (or a few others that he cannot have) and vet feels he has been on the Baytril long enough and does not want to tempt fate, plus taking the catheter out was a big relief and going to oral meds, not to mention doing the 2am meds was getting really old!

So short answer is I don't think 2 weeks is going to do any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    The risk of tendon rupture is not something that should be taken lightly. I've seen at least 15-20 cases in humans of achilles tendon tears or frank rupture linked to the use of quinolones. For a human it's bad enough; for a horse it could be devastating. Antibiotics are not to be taken lightly and used for the heck of it, particularly this class, IMO. Probably a good thing it's pricey or people would be randomly using it (like they do sulfa and penicillin since it's so readily available) for every little case of snots or scratches.
    The first time I heard about this was from my small animal vet. He refuses to take the quinolines for himself, and said that even one course significantly increased the risk of potential rupture at some point in the future. (Confirm/deny? I admit I have not studied the issue.) He's quite active and felt the risk was too great.

I'm probably screwed, as I've been on uncountable courses on Levaquin. Sigh.

http://www.levaquinadversesideeffect.../Hall-2011.pdf

Here is an article about the tendon/ligament issues. Deltawave treats adult patients (and I will venture a lot of elderly folks). It happens more commonly in them. I treat children (human) and probably have about 6 patients on them per week and I have never had a child develop tendon issues on quinolones even though originally children were thought to be the at-risk group due to animal studies (begal puppies) that showed it happened. I think right now the real risk is not well described (who? when? any way to prevent or minimize risk?) but it IS something that can happen and so for a horse I would avoid unless absolutely no other treatment option.

Simke, I learned about the tendon issues (and other side effects) when I was prescribe Levaquin last month in the hospital. Pretty serious drug. But I figure that if you need to be on something like that, you've probably got bigger issues to worry about than tendons. (of course, different for humans than horses)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

What rockford said . . . I don't know if it's very clearly defined about how long the risk persists, or whether the risk is dose- and time-related. (for instance, is a 5-day course safer than a 14-day course?)

MOST of the cases I've seen have occurred within a month or two of using the antibiotic, and some were complete ruptures requiring surgery while others were minor tears. Very definitely more prevalent in men, but that may be a function of simply small numbers and the fact that men *tend* to do more sports/exercise in the age group I typically see.

I'm sure the orthopedic literature would have some better data than what I have observed!
    Click here before you buy.

DD's horse just finished a course of Baytril. She had been on SMZ for 2 weeks for a puncture wound that got infected and didn't respond at all so the vet gave us Baytril. It has cleared up the infection but it was very expensive. $160. for 250 ml bottle. Of course the mare hated it and put up quite the fight every day.

Default Jingles for your horse ~

Jingles & AO for your horse ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"