The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Should I sheet or not?

The low is going to be 42degrees but feels like 35 with a 13mph. There is no shelter but trees. I've already put a medium blanket on my mare because she likes her blanket and doesn't have all that much of a coat.

My 10.3ish pony is very fluffy and in decent weight. Right now I have a sheet I could put on her but would she be colder with the sheet on or warmer with it? It's this http://www.amazon.com/TuffRider-600D.../dp/B00066062A (which however is a horriable sheet..it leaks so now I have to get another but will work for a wind breaker).

They have about 30lbs of hay out there that I spread all around.

Normally would bring in for the night but I am sick and tomorrow is going to be so busy (hoping I won't be sick by then). Just makes life easier for them to stay out tonight. Am I a bad horse mom? I feel bit bad ;0(

That's not cold to a healthy, furry pony

2 members found this post helpful.

Heck no! Those temps aren't bad, plus they have plenty of hay!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wouldnt be worried about a fluffy, healthy pony unless it was cold and pouring or temps were down in the teens...
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks y'all :0) I took your advice and let her be. I checked out my window this morning to see if she looked cold and nope she didn't :0) They were looking for the rest of the hay that I threw out there.
    They are out ALOT more at night than they used to be as I've been trying to make my life a bit more easier...and they seem to be enjoying it. As soon as it started getting in the 40's I've gotten back in the habit of taking them back in at night so I felt pretty bad about leaving them out. Ya'll made me feel a bit better about it .

With the rest my fever is finally down so now I'm off to get ready for Thanksgiving lunch.

40's? LOL - that's just getting into comfort weather

Keep your life simple - leave them out at night as much as possible

LOL, you silly southerner, thinking that that's cold Up here, the horses are never blanketed over 30, and only brought in when it's wet (and in the 40's or below), for ice, or with wind that won't allow the hay to stay put. I have a mare in her 30's that does like to come in when it gets in the teens, but the others are fine outside. Well, except the goat, he's a desert critter and he gets really cold!

Glad you're feeling better. Now start letting them stay outside more often!

Sheets make a horse colder. They flatten the hair coat. Have you ever notices that a long coat lays flat on a warmday but puffs up on a cold day? When they are Puffed up, hair standing erect, the air trapped amongst the hair and fluffiness is like a insulated human's jacket with puffy insulation. The insulation isn't solid, its loose and thick and traps air within it. A puffed up horse coat (or cat or dog coat) is warm. But if you put a sheet ovet that puffiness it flattens the hair. Now the insulation is gone and the sheet has no insulation.

A windy moderate temp, maybe rainy day and the waterproofed sheet is helpful. But once the temps drop leave the sheets alone. Use no blankets at all until the temps drop further and maybe not even then. Rain and cold and wind becomes a different thing. Rain flattens the coat. So if it's cold and wet and maybe windy and the horse is outside then consider a waterproof insulated blanket. Most horses with shelter from ran still don't NEED one.

Old horses, thin horses, short coated horses, cold hating horses, (many are Arabians, desrt horses dude) will benefit from added waterproof insulation. I found lightly insulated waterproof sheets. These are great, I can put a waterproof "sheet" on a horse that the others won't let into the run-in on a rainy winter day. The light insulation replaces the flattened coat effect and the horse is reasonably dry and sheltered from the wind. These 100 gm blankets/sheet are hard to find but very useful.

chicamuxen

Really, really depends on the sheet. My sheets are sold as sheets, listed as sheets, but have an 80gm fill and tent a bit over the horse due to the fit. They don't at all flatten the coat and offer nothing in return

But yes, if you've got a very soft sheet that is just literally a sheet, it's going to lay right on the horse and flatten a coat, removing all its air-trapping/heating capability, and offer nothing in return.