The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Cool TB Pedigree Question

    Does anyone have any information on this pedigree? What are your thoughts on it? Thanks!

    www.pedigreequery.com/exclusive+mistress



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2003
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    1,912

    Default

    Well, I love the Raja Baba for sport and for racing. I had a lovely mare who threw 2 beautiful fillies for us and is now producing top notch warmbloods. Beautiful movers all, and a lot of substance.

    On the bottom, Raise a Native is pretty close up. The mare herself is 25 - what are you asking about her pedigree for? I would think she is past breeding and a bit long in the tooth to start a hunter career lol!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Lol! I suppose this does seem like an odd question! :-) This mare is the dam of an appendix QH I own and I'm just interested in learning a bit more about the TB side of things, so thank you for the information! Was yours a daughter of Raja Baba?

    Quote Originally Posted by witherbee View Post
    Well, I love the Raja Baba for sport and for racing. I had a lovely mare who threw 2 beautiful fillies for us and is now producing top notch warmbloods. Beautiful movers all, and a lot of substance.

    On the bottom, Raise a Native is pretty close up. The mare herself is 25 - what are you asking about her pedigree for? I would think she is past breeding and a bit long in the tooth to start a hunter career lol!
    Last edited by AppleBallCat; Nov. 19, 2012 at 06:44 PM.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,325

    Default

    "Own daughter/son" isn't a term we use with TBs. (IIRC from the thread someone started about it, that means one the stallion owner kept? Most TB breeders don't do it that way.) It would just be a daughter or son.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    As far as I know, "own daughter/son" in QHs is just used to differentiate between get and grandget/great-grandget/etc. Glad to know that term isn't used in TBs. I will fix in my post to Witherbee. Thanks!

    ETA: Okay, now I'm re-reading my post and wondering if "get" is just a QH thing, too??

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    "Own daughter/son" isn't a term we use with TBs. (IIRC from the thread someone started about it, that means one the stallion owner kept? Most TB breeders don't do it that way.) It would just be a daughter or son.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2000
    Location
    Southern Pines, N.C.
    Posts
    11,422

    Default

    No. TB people use the word "get" also.

    In TB language, if 2 horses are by the same sire, they are "by the same sire". They are only 1/2 siblings if they are out of the same mare. And 3/4 siblings if they are out of the same mare and the 2 sires are father and son or brothers.

    If 2 horses have the same grandsire, they are "from the line of" or "XXX line horses" (i.e. Bold Ruler line). If 2 horses have the same granddam, they are "from the family of".

    When I first looked at the pedigree and saw that Raja Baba was the grandsire, I was amazed that he was so close up. He is usually found in the 4th or 5th generations now.

    Then I noticed how old the mare was.

    The mare's sire has great sporthorse blood. Raja Baba on the top line and Princequillo on the bottom line.

    Not surprising that she has thrown some good 1/2 TB horses for sport.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec. 5, 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Raja Baba is fantastic. My grandfather had a stallion called Northern Raja that was a Raja Baba son and we had some race track rejects go on to be great hunters. Your horse definitely has the pedigree on the TB side to be successful in the show ring.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Haha! Sorry to confuse you all about how old this mare is. Thanks for the quick lesson on TB vocabulary and the info on this mare's sire!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    No. TB people use the word "get" also.

    In TB language, if 2 horses are by the same sire, they are "by the same sire". They are only 1/2 siblings if they are out of the same mare. And 3/4 siblings if they are out of the same mare and the 2 sires are father and son or brothers.

    If 2 horses have the same grandsire, they are "from the line of" or "XXX line horses" (i.e. Bold Ruler line). If 2 horses have the same granddam, they are "from the family of".

    When I first looked at the pedigree and saw that Raja Baba was the grandsire, I was amazed that he was so close up. He is usually found in the 4th or 5th generations now.

    Then I noticed how old the mare was.

    The mare's sire has great sporthorse blood. Raja Baba on the top line and Princequillo on the bottom line.

    Not surprising that she has thrown some good 1/2 TB horses for sport.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hey, I did a quick search on your grandfather's stallion to find a photo -- he was good looking!

    Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    Raja Baba is fantastic. My grandfather had a stallion called Northern Raja that was a Raja Baba son and we had some race track rejects go on to be great hunters. Your horse definitely has the pedigree on the TB side to be successful in the show ring.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thank you to everyone who has replied. I'm going to throw a wrench in here with a couple more questions. How was the Raja Baba line for soundness? Temperament? What about this mare's bottom side (for racing or sport or anything)?

    Interestingly, this mare produced a lot of very successful racehorses and QH barrel horses.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2010
    Location
    Gum Tree PA
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    "Own daughter/son" isn't a term we use with TBs. (IIRC from the thread someone started about it, that means one the stallion owner kept? Most TB breeders don't do it that way.) It would just be a daughter or son.
    Actually the term “own” is used in TBs more so in England and Ireland then here. It is used to refer to full siblings; Own sister, own brother to…..

    “get” is universal horse term as most standard ones should be. It only refers to the off spring of a stallion. Short for; “That stallion gets good foals”.
    A mare “throws” good foals. Foals out of a mare are referred to as their “produce”



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2010
    Location
    Gum Tree PA
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleBallCat View Post
    Thank you to everyone who has replied. I'm going to throw a wrench in here with a couple more questions. How was the Raja Baba line for soundness? Temperament? What about this mare's bottom side (for racing or sport or anything)?

    Interestingly, this mare produced a lot of very successful racehorses and QH barrel horses.
    IMO Raja Baba was a strong well made horse and like most successful TB stallions he stamped his get. I only worked with a few of his 2 year olds and don’t remember them being anything but pleasant and willing. We used him a number of times for client mares when he was at the top of his game and popular. I don’t remember others knocking him for passing on difficult traits.
    It’s not surprising that direct descendants of Raja Baba have done well in the QH world.
    He tended to get rather blocky strong types that QH people are looking for. I sold several unraced or just winning sons of his to be used for QH breeding. As were sons of Raise A Native.
    I don’t put near the stock that others do in this forum on the merits of have certain well known TB names in sport horse breeding. IMO. Given the fact that the TB stud book is derived from a rather small gene pool. When a certain cross “seems” to prove successful and is perceived as a good nick the band wagon starts rolling and many generations are bred on the same nicking pattern. Example, Northern Dancer over Raise A Native, visa versa. Princequillo was a very successful broodmare sire, and a popular cross with Bold Ruler, this same cross produced Secretariat. Who turned out not be as good a sire as Raja Baba, but was the broodmare sire of Gone West, Storm Cat, A P Indy etc.
    The Raga Baba line lives on through his very good son Yes It’s True. I am not a student of TB sport horse breeding mainly do to the fact there is not a well documented data base to draw from. IMO most people put too much stock on word of mouth of a particular stallion and or cross. Most of which is a number of generations back from the horse standing in front of them. As I said above given the fact that there are so many TBs born each year on similar crosses it is IMO a perception based on the law of averages kicking in. That being said and given the fact that Raja Baba was a good stallion but not wildly popular so there were not a lot of his get being used outside the world of racing and I have seen his name show up in a number of good sport horses this would be a line I would lean towards. I would also look at the get of Yes It’s True. His get are generally well made with good minds.
    Sorry for being long winded or babbling as others have accused me of. I just don’t think something as complicated a horse breeding, raising, training etc can be explained in a few sentences.
    Of course this all just my opinion use what you want throw out what you don’t.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Gumtree, what great info! And that was not babble -- it was all very interesting and relevant. I'm going to have to take some time to digest everything you said and do a little research on Yes It's True now! Thank you!!

    Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    IMO Raja Baba was a strong well made horse and like most successful TB stallions he stamped his get. I only worked with a few of his 2 year olds and don’t remember them being anything but pleasant and willing. We used him a number of times for client mares when he was at the top of his game and popular. I don’t remember others knocking him for passing on difficult traits.
    It’s not surprising that direct descendants of Raja Baba have done well in the QH world.
    He tended to get rather blocky strong types that QH people are looking for. I sold several unraced or just winning sons of his to be used for QH breeding. As were sons of Raise A Native.
    I don’t put near the stock that others do in this forum on the merits of have certain well known TB names in sport horse breeding. IMO. Given the fact that the TB stud book is derived from a rather small gene pool. When a certain cross “seems” to prove successful and is perceived as a good nick the band wagon starts rolling and many generations are bred on the same nicking pattern. Example, Northern Dancer over Raise A Native, visa versa. Princequillo was a very successful broodmare sire, and a popular cross with Bold Ruler, this same cross produced Secretariat. Who turned out not be as good a sire as Raja Baba, but was the broodmare sire of Gone West, Storm Cat, A P Indy etc.
    The Raga Baba line lives on through his very good son Yes It’s True. I am not a student of TB sport horse breeding mainly do to the fact there is not a well documented data base to draw from. IMO most people put too much stock on word of mouth of a particular stallion and or cross. Most of which is a number of generations back from the horse standing in front of them. As I said above given the fact that there are so many TBs born each year on similar crosses it is IMO a perception based on the law of averages kicking in. That being said and given the fact that Raja Baba was a good stallion but not wildly popular so there were not a lot of his get being used outside the world of racing and I have seen his name show up in a number of good sport horses this would be a line I would lean towards. I would also look at the get of Yes It’s True. His get are generally well made with good minds.
    Sorry for being long winded or babbling as others have accused me of. I just don’t think something as complicated a horse breeding, raising, training etc can be explained in a few sentences.
    Of course this all just my opinion use what you want throw out what you don’t.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2010
    Location
    Gum Tree PA
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleBallCat View Post
    Gumtree, what great info! And that was not babble -- it was all very interesting and relevant. I'm going to have to take some time to digest everything you said and do a little research on Yes It's True now! Thank you!!
    Thanks for the acknowledgement. Yes It’s True stands at Three Chimney’s Farm in KY here is a link to his page.
    http://www.threechimneys.com/yes-its-true/



Similar Threads

  1. Yet Another TB Pedigree Question
    By Dressagelvr in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar. 20, 2012, 05:41 AM
  2. Pedigree question
    By Charlie&Me in forum Eventing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr. 24, 2011, 02:45 PM
  3. NZ TB Pedigree Question
    By bahrcj in forum Eventing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 1, 2011, 06:02 PM
  4. Pedigree Question.
    By sunnycher in forum Eventing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
  5. Pedigree Question
    By sheltoneb in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 11, 2010, 11:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness