The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I'm stymied by your response. So these deaths aren't horrible & the responsibility of the film makers because they happened off set?? What a strange & frankly scary mindset you have. Glad you don't live anywhere near me.

I still find the film producers totally responsible for this. Out-of-sight/Out-of-mind doesn't cut it. Used to way back when animals were treated like Hollywood props, but definitely NOT today.

I can only hope that many folks will boycott this film. I know I will. Sadly, there are so many delirious "Tolkien/Hobbit" groupies who won't give a damn, that any boycotting will most likely be a moot point.
    The responsibility for the welfare of the animals used is the company that owns them. Why didn't they put the animals in pipe corrals and house the sheep, goats and chickens in pens as well? If you know that the property has bad fences, bluffs and sink holes why would the wranglers let the animals roam at will?

It is a tragedy that the animals were hurt and some killed. If the owner of these animals was aware of the conditions they should have made sure conditions were changed before one of their animals set foot on the property.

5 members found this post helpful.

CandyAppy - different country, different requirements. Pipe corrals are not used commonly in NZ and certainly not in Wellington.

In my opinion, pipe corrals are a broken leg waiting to happen - your opinion, of course, may differ.

None of the issues being raised here by Barcardi1 are out of the ordinary for any country that COTH contributors belong to. I have read similar stuff on this board for years.

Animal losses are not good for anyone - but you have to look at the timing for this "news" release. Premiere is on 12th December. No mention has been made before this time. Filming stopped some months ago. Peter Jackson is very popular in NZ and has made a # of very ethical decisions in his dealings outside of this movie (which will have upset people). Overseas Actors Unions (in particular USA-based ones) attempted to pervert NZ employment law - they wanted the movie made in USA which would have been difficult given the scenery is so well known. Europe possibly or maybe Canada - who also have different laws.

So this looks like a chance to jump on an iconic brand (Tolkein/Peter Jackson/New Line) and get access to a world-wide cause - man, if I was Peta I would be wetting my pants for the great free publicity!

(Paint me cynical ...)
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

7 members found this post helpful.

Here is Peter Jackson's response.
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...t-allegations/

And pipe corrals? Really? Accident waiting to happen in my book. Different strokes for different folks
    Here in NZ, most animals have turnout 24/7. We think it's kind of weird and not at all humane to be penning/stabling or otherwise confining animals when there is no need. It is definitely not done to house sheep. Goats usually have shelter available in their paddocks. I don't personally know anybody who stables horses, although I know it is done with racehorses. We have explained how sinkholes (known as Tomo) can appear unexpectedly, however it is not that common. Unfortunate indeed to have it happen on this farm. My point is we do things differently, as suited to our climate and our country. In our News today the implication is the wranglers in the story were fired for their sub-par care of the animals, which puts a whole other slant on things. Certainly when I read the original article I put the blame on the wranglers for not doing their job, rather than the production company. For goodness sake, it's a bit rich to blame the production company when the wrangler himself forgot to shut the chicken coop!

*as an aside* also in our news today Mt Tongariro is erupting I'm far enough away that I am unlikely to be affected but the other NZ posters are much closer than I am and may get some ash. It's only a wee eruption atm but they are evacuating those actually on the mountain.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    good grief, how old are you?
    Thank yew.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

4 members found this post helpful.

Yew can live for thousands of years.

Thanks for that link, Dreamwalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwalker View Post
    Here is Peter Jackson's response.
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...t-allegations/

And pipe corrals? Really? Accident waiting to happen in my book. Different strokes for different folks
    Here in NZ, most animals have turnout 24/7. We think it's kind of weird and not at all humane to be penning/stabling or otherwise confining animals when there is no need. It is definitely not done to house sheep. Goats usually have shelter available in their paddocks. I don't personally know anybody who stables horses, although I know it is done with racehorses. We have explained how sinkholes (known as Tomo) can appear unexpectedly, however it is not that common. Unfortunate indeed to have it happen on this farm. My point is we do things differently, as suited to our climate and our country. In our News today the implication is the wranglers in the story were fired for their sub-par care of the animals, which puts a whole other slant on things. Certainly when I read the original article I put the blame on the wranglers for not doing their job, rather than the production company. For goodness sake, it's a bit rich to blame the production company when the wrangler himself forgot to shut the chicken coop!

*as an aside* also in our news today Mt Tongariro is erupting I'm far enough away that I am unlikely to be affected but the other NZ posters are much closer than I am and may get some ash. It's only a wee eruption atm but they are evacuating those actually on the mountain.
    And if some horses being kept downwind of Tongariro for the production of some movie or tv programme have volcanic ash fall on them, will the production company get blamed for that?

1 members found this post helpful.

I've already got my tickets, because I am a Bad Horse Person (tm). I don't have a costume, though, so I guess I'm not QUITE as bad as I could be, right?

I've known horses injured to one degree or another (and a couple killed) in pasture accidents (many even on flat land, oh horror!). I've probably known as many injured while being (responsibly) ridden. I've also known all manner of other animals who suffered injury, illness, or death whilst in the care of humans. Because you know what? Animals get sick. They die. They get hurt. They recover - sometimes not fully. Humans screw up - they don't close gates properly, they forget things. If you've never ever screwed up caring for - or hiring those who care for - animals, then maybe you have room to talk. But the again, you might consider that you've been lucky, and not count your chickens (or whatever livestock you keep) until they've hatched - or accidentally gotten out and into trouble. Because it happens all the time and to the best of people. It sucks, but it's reality, and it's hardly going to keep me from enjoying a good movie.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Bacardi1, try not to feel bad about being chastised for your appropriate outrage. Remember the Chronicle forums are populated with those who support horse abuse ranging from rollkur to the Spink infamies.
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by @$$ho!es." ~ William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Glad you don't live anywhere near me.

I have many times read your posts and thanked the dog I don't live anywhere near you.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheresanAppfurthat View Post
    Bacardi1, try not to feel bad about being chastised for your appropriate outrage. Remember the Chronicle forums are populated with those who support horse abuse ranging from rollkur to the Spink infamies.
    Oh, yeah. There's all kinds of support here for Spink. Note the I Love Spink Threads swarming the board. I wonder if TAAFT is also the author of the taken out of context book report on the horse problems in the movie. Heh.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

2 members found this post helpful.