The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Riding outdoors in the winter

What do you do? I'm in Ontario so lots of snow is expected We had planned to have an indoor arena built by now but are stuck in the permits process. I guess I've been spoiled and always boarded somewhere with an idoor arena so I've never had to worry about this. I've considered doing ship ins, but the costs add up and I'm thinking it'll be a hassle. Right now we only have an outdoor arena, is there something I can do to make this functional during the cold months? Not looking forward to the snow!

Ride in the snow! Great exercise! As long as you're familiar with the lay of the land and don't have to contend with ice or holes, go ride! My old trainer used to do some arena work and then take every. single. horse out into the snow for a bit.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

How good is your outdoor? Depending on snow and ice I can usually ride in mine until late Dec then again in March. Right now the footing is perfect for me. I have a huge light too so I am able to ride at night with no problems. I also ship to a friends twice a week to jump and it isn't as big of a pain as you would expect. It becomes routine, although my drive is only about 15 minutes.

As long as the snow isn't icey you can still ride on it also.

Riding in the mountains of PA in the winter, our BO used to spread the manure and we would ride on the tracks he spread. As long as there isn't a thick crust on the snow, you can ride right through it. I've even had a horse jump snowbanks in the pasture.

Good luck though getting your permits ASAP and maybe your builder can get you covered before the worst of winter sets in.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I do it. I ride in my arena as long as possible and then, if there is too much snow, I hit the trails and do a lot of long trotting. It's actually really fun to do something totally different.

Riding in the snow is fantastic. Get yourself a pair of tall winter boots and you're set to go. Riding in the snow under a full moon is gorgeous. Like riding in a field of diamonds.

2 members found this post helpful.

move south, 80F here

Used to live in Kentucky, I seem to remember the sun didn't for the most part of four or five months in the winter

I ride in the snow as long as I can. You will need snow pads or bare feet or you will get snow balls in the horse's shoes.

Our snow eventually gets too deep or developes a miserable crust. Then I move to the shoulder of the road for as long as I can, but eventually, that fills with snow banks which also block our emergency exits into the fields. You do NOT want to be on the road with a snow plow coming and no way to get off the shoulder.

Find an indoor you can use.

Ontario? I don't know... I feel like icicle already just typing it. I'm a wimp. I don't think I will be riding if I were where you are - unless I get a cozy indoor

If the snow is crusty, I strongly suggest using vaseline on the heel bulbs, & maybe more around. Crusty snow can be like 1,000's of tiny knives taking the hair right off, even going so far as to draw blood. The vaseline helps prevent this. Keep an eye on the situation.