The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Who is the asshat that wants to burn the barn down? Seriously, those thumbs need to go!
    You got a red thumb for that????

I rest my case on a post I made about the thumbs on another thread LOL A post which got me quite a few red thumbs

How about a propane gas heater, a la Coleman camping products?
    http://www.coleman.com/product/perfe...0#.UKzCQ5V5mSM
    Or a hot water heater, 5 gal for $329?
    http://www.coleman.com/product/hot-w...7#.UKzCmZV5mSM
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VsSd2...?v=VsSd2iFqxAc

Pippigirl, it is my barn, one horse is mine and two are boarders.

mkevent-- thanks for the styrofoam cooler idea -- I'm sure I'll be able to use it in some way in the future!

And thanks for telling me about the coleman heater -- no idea something like that existed. I've already gone out and bought DMK's bucket heater (the last one at our Tractor Supply!) so I'll give that a try. But, good to know about the more serious heater!

I am so glad I started this thread -- I now have about three new ideas for how to get enough warm/hot water to the barn, yay!

I wanted to add that I also boil water in my hotpot and then store it in a 2.5 gallon thermos. You can usually find them in the camping section or sometimes the sports section of department stores.

If you put some of the water you warmed up with the bucket heater in that, it might last for a later feeding. I would imagine storing the thermos inside the cooler would keep it warmer even longer. Keeping it up off the ground seems to keep it warmer too.

I love my hotpot. I always have warm water for making mashes and cleaning tack. I hate cleaning tack with cold water! As Laurirace pointed out, you do need to keep an eye on them because they can be a fire hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Pippigirl, it is my barn, one horse is mine and two are boarders.

mkevent-- thanks for the styrofoam cooler idea -- I'm sure I'll be able to use it in some way in the future!

And thanks for telling me about the coleman heater -- no idea something like that existed. I've already gone out and bought DMK's bucket heater (the last one at our Tractor Supply!) so I'll give that a try. But, good to know about the more serious heater!

I am so glad I started this thread -- I now have about three new ideas for how to get enough warm/hot water to the barn, yay!
    you can use the Coleman hot water heater at shows or camping, too.

Default JINGLES & AO ~ Great suggestions given here ~

Jingles & AO for these horses ~ may winter be uneventful ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I also have used the extra large coffee pot from goodwill, worked great for me.

Get a kettle.

Well, my toothless wonder has progressed. He now needs to have his teeth floated every 3 months. I'm adding soaked alfalfa cubes to the soaked TC Senior. I mix my potion in the house and just carry the bucket out. I let the cubes soak overnight in cold water and the grain takes about 1/2 hour in cold or 10 minutes in warm water.

I now mix the two...he was having trouble with just straight senior, but the texture of the alfalfa cubes seems to be slowing him down enough that it's not causing a problem.

If I need a lot of hot water, I just an immersion heater, only under supervision and let it cool on the concrete in the wash stall.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

How about feeding in a heated water bucket? The heating element is completely isolated and insulated so no risk of melting buckets.
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/heated...ket-2005p.aspx
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

I really find rocks in the feed tub (2-3 pretty large ones) to really help slow them down, one episode and in the rocks go and I rarely have had a repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
    How about feeding in a heated water bucket? The heating element is completely isolated and insulated so no risk of melting buckets.
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/heated...ket-2005p.aspx
    This would work if they were fed indoors, but the horses eat outside in the field, using nosebags.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocelynne View Post
    Get a kettle.
    That's a good suggestion, but I need enough hot water to soak three horses feed. Currently I use probably 1/4 of a muck bucket of water, way more than a kettle could provide.

I'm going to give the immersion heater a go, and keep the coleman heater in reserve in case Plan A doesn't work.

Very many thanks to everyone for all the good suggestions.

1 members found this post helpful.