The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leg wound. What would you do?

I had a mare come in a few days back with an older leg wound on her RH. It is fairly deep and about 1.5" above the coronet band on the outside of the leg. Unfortunately I also just got finished treating a kick wound on this leg (***grumble***)

The wound appears to be a wire cut or a wound from the round bale feeder and is too old to get stitched. So I cleaned it out, shaved the hair around it, started SMZs and Bute along with a topical routine (clean, betadine, triple antibiotic). I am also thinking that next week she will be getting her shoes pulled, as the wound looks like a 4 weeks off kind of deal.

Anyways, I was kind of wondering if she would benefit from a wrap on the wound. I've really shied away from wrapping wounds in the recent years but I though I would get a few other opinions.

The main thing about a wound in that location is infection and then the development of proud flesh. Cut Heal works well to heal the wound and help prevent it. I've found that taking a syringe with iodine and squirting it in the wound and then taking a syringe with saline solution to flush it out really well is very effective when you can't stitch something and help avoid scarring. I'm on the fence about wrapping too. Firstly, it has to heal from the inside out and prevent infection and then as it heals closer to the surface, prevent proud flesh, which can happen rapidly if it granulates higher than the surrounding tissue. Wonder dust works well as it gets close to healing near the surface. Keep a close eye on it, which I'm sure you will. That's my two cents. Ugh.

I wouldn't wrap it. Like Fair said, leg wounds love to develop proud flesh. Having lived through horrendous wounds on my Percheron this summer, I will sing the praise of AluShield. Other COTHers recommended it and I'm glad I bought several cans. The knee wound, in particular, worried me but there was 100% no proud flesh and almost all the hair has come back.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I would wrap the wound and use Silver Sulfadiazine which is commonly used to treat burns. This ointment will keep the wound moist and allow it to heal from the inside out without developing proud flesh. I had an excellent outcome treating my horse's drained leg abscess this way (as per my vet vet's instructions).
    friend of bar*ka

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    I would wrap the wound and use Silver Sulfadiazine which is commonly used to treat burns. This ointment will keep the wound moist and allow it to heal from the inside out without developing proud flesh. I had an excellent outcome treating my horse's drained leg abscess this way (as per my vet vet's instructions).

Ditto all of that. I had a mare that sliced a huge flap on the front of her leg. It should've been stitched, but I was broke at the time, so I wrapped and used Silver Sulfadiazine. It took a while to heal, but healed with only a pea sized scar.

Does it have to be wrapped? No, but your best chance of keeping it from scarring, is wrapping. (Wounds on the knee and above are usually ok if left open to heal) If it were my horse, I'd either use the SS burn cream, or if its developing proud flesh, Trypzyme-V spray. Cover with telfa pad, then gauze, then vetwrap. You can place a piece of duct tape on the hoof to keep it from sliding up. Change every 24-36 hours, or when it gets dirty. Clean wound with clean water, saline, or deluted Chlorhexidine. Pat dry and reapply. When the skin is close to closing, switch to Prep-H, and start leaving wound unwrapped.

1 members found this post helpful.

my mare had a cut right above her coronary band in august. there is little excess skin there so the healing process was slow and it began to form proud flesh.
    what ended up working for us the best in the end (tried various things i had laying around and couple recommended by COTHers, including Alushield) is an ointment that has both antibiotic and steroid in it. i was told to apply it until the wound became "flat" looking, then stop the ointment but keep on wrapping it, and apply only vitamin E cream or something of that sort around the edges of the wound. for wrapping i used elastikon. love that stuff!

the ointment was given to me by a vet, but when i posted about it here someone said it sounds like Panalog. so if you have any Panalog laying around you can use that.

my mare is 21 years old and has somewhat compromised immune system due to Cushings. while it seemed like it took a long time for that wound to heal (over a month), right now the hair is growing over it, there is really no sign of a scar and definitely no proud flesh which i was really worried about. i could not have asked for a better result.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.