The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who is using Smartbreathe?

Does it work as well or better than cough free? Do your horses eat it?

I recently moved my mare to a new farm and my horse is experiencing some allergy problems.

She sounds a bit heavy leading her in from the field. Its very faint and stops as soon as I stop to listen to it. Trotting and then cantering in the ring usually sets off a coughing/sneezing fit. I have never heard her sneeze or cough standing in the crossties or in her stall. Neither has the barn manager. She is in at night but her stall is near the door, which is left open at night. She does not have a snotty nose unless she gets a sneezing fit. She does not have a temp.

I had the vet out. He says its just a response to new allergens she is not used to and should go away. Her lungs sounded fine. In the meantime, I could use a supplement meant for allergies and to just monitor it to make sure it doesnt get worse.

I bought cough free and boy does that stuff stink and taste nasty. She will not eat it so I am syringing it orally. Once that is gone, I’d like to try smartbreathe. I have heard really good things about cough free and am willing to keep dosing it if smartbreathe isnt as good.

I use Smartbreathe for my event horse who has spring/summer allergies. He had a really nasty bout about three years ago. Farm owner gave him moldy hay while I was on work travel, so he had a nasty cough with nasal discharge, then it was the worst allergy season on record for Charleston. Perfect storm set him up to be coughing all the time. Was on dex for a bit (which I hate) and I tried many supplements.

I ended up doing the allergy shots for two full years, and have kept him on Smarthbreathe ever since. Knock on wood no more coughing. I think that high doses of MSM are the big key (he gets Smartflex Resilience too, which also has MSM in it). If you look into MSM you will see that it is quite frequently used for cough/respiratory. I have tried cough free, it worked and he ate it, but its super messy and many horses won't eat it.

Moldy hay, huh? About a week before I moved her, the barn manager at the other barn put out a nasty round bale. It was stale, stemy, looked like straw, and had moldy parts throughout. She did have a coughing fit one time right before I moved her, runny eyes, and a nasty snotty nose one morning. I thought it might be the round bale or the dust from living next to a driveway that became very dusty for a few days but I expected her to be just fine when she moved and got her away from those conditions. I wonder if its just residual from the conditions at the other farm?

Can you give too much MSM? She is on a 10,000 mg dose and corta-flex which has some secret amount of MSM. I wonder if adding Smartbreathe would be too much MSM. Ill ask Smartpak.

Thanks for your response!

If you want to see if your horse will eat it, Smartpak will send you samples to try first. They are really good about that, which I appreciate as I have one pretty picky horse.

I did use the Smartbreathe for that picky horse one summer (he ate it, grudgingly), but can't say it helped much. He had a bit if a cough and somewhat raspy breath that seemed allergy related. Solution for him was a different barn...he's been fine since! Don't really know what he might have been reacting to. He also had horrible hives at times at that place, and never since. I speculated it was all the Round Up that BO sprayed everywhere, all the time, but don't really know!

It may be that the mold/dust set up a bit of longer term response that takes a bit to heal. My horse's mother is dust sensitive and so is he, so the mold was just too much. As far as too much MSM, your vet may be best to weigh in, but here is a COTH link where they talk a bit about it,

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...s-too-much-MSM.

My horse gets 15,000 a day between the Smartbreathe and Smartflex Resilience.

My horse was on Cough Free when I got him and it had to be snuck in his grain, even wetted down to get him to eat it. I also noticed it helping him very little when it came to spring/summer allergies. I switched to SmartBreathe since it is offered in a pelleted form and my horse ate it right up. I also noticed MUCH less coughing and reduction of discharge. He stays on it now through spring/summer and I pretty much don't notice a difference in him from the fall/winter. Very helpful

Hi, I'm new here

I have fed my older gelding SmartBreathe for the past 3 years in the winter while being fed roundbales and it works wonderfully for him. I too had an experience with an old boarding facility feeding out moldy/dusty roundbales around 10 years ago and that was the start of his heaves (no previous issues with roundbales until that particular winter of bad hay.) I think some horses are more prone to heaves or allergies than others but it can be triggered by bad feed or dusty arenas, etc. I am currently feeding out round bales and to even further minimize inhaling any particles in the hay I am using a Cinch Chix slow feed net and metal ring feeder so I can feed rounds now. He hasn't coughed yet since starting tossing hay earlier than normal. On just the SB sup he would still cough at times but it would be dramatically decreased compared to no supplement, but now he is unable to literally bury his head into the roundbale. For me the best thing is prevention, feeding hay on the ground and not raised, watering any hay and the arena down, pasturing if possible in the summer, etc. and using the supplements to take care of the stuff we cannot control in the environment (pollen, dust blowing, etc)

Best of luck

I had my mare on SmartBreathe from about a year. It helped a bit but I recently switched to the Cavalor powder and it's made a huge difference!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for your responses. Over the course of 3 weeks on cough free, she has gotten a lot better. She usually coughs 3 or 4 times when we start to trot and then again when we canter but it has really improved. I bought some smartbreathe to try once we run out of the CF. I like the MSM in SB. Im hoping to see even more improvement or at least stay the same. Ill look into Cavalor.

My young horse had a similar issue: kept in a dusty stall (sometimes had a layer on his back when I came out to see him) and would cough a couple of times when starting work, then be fine. I put him on Cavalor's Bronchix Pure for 40 days. At first, I kind of freaked because all the sudden he was coughing up gunk. Two weeks later he was fine: no more cough or anything. That was a year and a half ago.

Where do you buy Cavalor's Bronchix Pure in the US?
    I've had my mare on Command Allergy from Brookside which has been successful in clearing up her runny nose but she still has a bit of a cough.
    (She has seen the vet, did a round of antibiotics which helped some but this is more allergy related we believe.)
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

She's been on smartbreathe for 2 weeks now. She isnt coughing at all anymore but not sure if thats because of the cough free month we did, her getting over it herself or getting used to the new allergens. Anyways, she has always had runny eyes and her eyes are looking really bright, wide, clear as can be. I wonder if the diagnosis we got a few years ago of uveitis was actually just a case of eye allergies and the smartbreathe is helping clear that up. Ill give it another 2 months to see if her eyes keep looking good.

I ordered the Cavalor through FarmVet. My sense is that they're making a big push to increase distribution in the US so there are probably others who carry now.

I order through FarmVet. Usually the best prices and free shipping (or at least I always order enough that I don't have to pay).