The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OCD pellets?

Anyone feed their broodmares these? I think I remember somewhere that it was beneficial to feed to the mare in the third trimester, then also give to the foal? Can anyone educate me please?
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I think you would have to keep the mare on it her whole pregnancy for it to have any influence on the foal. I feed a ration balancer to my mares as well as keeping an equimin block available so they are covered in the vitamin and mineral department,

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Feeding OCD Pellets

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    Anyone feed their broodmares these? I think I remember somewhere that it was beneficial to feed to the mare in the third trimester, then also give to the foal? Can anyone educate me please?

Hello,

You can visit the OCD Pellets website and find lots of helpful information. This link should help you: http://www.docsproductsinc.com/ocd_p...d_pellets.html

I don't know why you'd want/need to add these if you're already feeding a diet properly formulated for a broodmare, starting before she's pregnant (to make sure you're not starting out playing catch-up), and increasing starting around month 5.

Proper amounts of a mare/foal/growth formula, or a ration balancer for the easier keeper, would be providing all the nutrition she needs.

Exceptions might be if the hay is really, really crappy

My mare had OCD and I plan on feeding her OCD pellets as a precautionary measure. They say you only have to feed the last few months of pregnancy. I have it marked on my calender when she's supposed to start on them. I figured it can't hurt.