The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would be taking a seriously good look at De Niro. Proven GP competitor and sire of many GP horses - he had SIX offspring selected as either competing or reserve horses at the London Olympics, and he is now leading the WBFSH dressage sire rankings. He is going to be 20 years old in 2013, and his frozen semen will increase in price once he can no longer be collected.

And for an out of the box suggestion, what about Negro? Scored over 70% at GP at age 8, and is a proven sire of GP offspring (e.g., Valegro). I don't know if he is approved for Hanoverian breeding, but he is approved by the Oldenburg Verband, so is also approved by OHBS/GOV.

Carol confirmed Hochadel will be available, with a proven frozen semen pregnancy.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post

Forte, yes, I have thought of him. He has exactly the build I am looking for but has he competed or schooled GP?
    To the best of my knowledge Freestyle showed quite successfully up to PSG. I'm not sure if he was schooling GP, you'd have to ask Jennifer. His oldest offspring are now hitting the FEI ring. Hubertus Schmidt was showing a Freestyle mare (out of a Jazz dam) named Twinkel R in the big CDI Grand Prix classes.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Carol confirmed Hochadel will be available, with a proven frozen semen pregnancy.
    Problem solved!!!
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Donella I haven't got any good video of my Le Rouge mare (graded premium with the verband and Elite with the Futurity) but I do have a couple of photos. She really is special and having seen several other youngsters by him now I'm finally confident that the temperament and most of the movement is coming from the sire, not just from the dam line. My dressage instructor has just come back from schooling the Equine Elite horses (top lot there went for 500,000 Euros) and he describes her as a being talented and a big mover. So she even stands up against the best of the best.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...e/DSC_0479.jpg
    http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...e/DSC_0473.jpg

Stolensilver - I just could not "not comment". What a lovely mare! Charisma and beauty. Congrats to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    What do you guys think of Rousseau. I look at a conformation photo of him :

http://www.stallionmatch.com/dekhengst.php?hengst=179

and this is the kind of back I am looking for. Super well conformed...probably from Ferro. I have never really looked into Rousseau before...?
    along those lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g56Voijb8t8

http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/openbaar/abo...nr=H0000003416

And Hann approved

Thankyou Sunnydays. I do feel very lucky to have her (and wish I had time and money enough to have a couple more Le Rouge's in the stable too)

Well, I did hear that Hochadel will definitely be available! In the meantime I found a conformation shot of him and actually he looks very similar this mare over the back. I didn't notice it when I saw him under saddle and the horse can clearly use himself very well because he can piaffe and passage better than 90 percent of the horse on the international stage right now. The horse can really sit, it's amazing. And as Kathleen says, he is of similar type to my mare, which I like.

DeNiro I love. I saw him a few weeks ago in the flesh stood up without his blankets on ( and about ten mares by him). He is not as long or as heavy as I had always imagined but I have heard quite often that he will make longer horses? I liked Desperados because he seems like he is more like his damsire over the topline..but still that De Niro blood. I don't know...maybe De Niro would be a good choice??

SS your mare is beautiful! I am going to look more into Le Rouge. A friend has semen in her tank too ...

Stoicfish, yes, he is beautiful too. I saw him as well in the flesh and he was gorgeous. It seems Ferro reliably throws that strong back, a more compact type with powerful hind ends. I wonder about Ferro himself? Negro also interesting....
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Marydell,
    Interesting you suggested Viscount. I got to see him free jump last month at the testing and I quite liked him as well. Not sure I am brave enough to try a young stallion on her but he could be nice on a few of my other mares. Are you going to use him?

Does Don Principe shorten up a mare at all? I know he is producing really well. My SO's trainer has one in her barn (Don Royale) and she raves about this horse. I saw him last show season and although he is small he is a little powerhouse and very talented. Did you breed him?
    www.svhanoverians.com

LOL!!! I love "Roy"!!! and yes I did breed him. He was the very first Don Principe born on US soil. It has always baffled us as to his size as he was not his dam's first and all the full siblings are 16.2 or better. Full brother is doing super with a young rider with score to 80%. Another full sibling is owned by Courtney King-Dye. They all do well in hand from Don Royale being the Reserve USDF Horse of the Year to several Champion HOY.( all FULL siblings)

Don Principe seems to have a "nick" with "R" line mares, Royal Diamond, Rubinstein and Rotspon crosses are outstanding.
    From what I have seen personally, the "B" and "S" lines are up there as well.
    Yes, he has reliably produced short coupled offspring, no matter the mare.
    His walk and work ethic are almost a certainty if anything is in breeding LOL!

I AM going to Viscount in 2013 on Roy's full sister(Small world) once the semen is available. I really fell in love with his mind and athletic talent at his licensing.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

I really like Hofrat. The frozen semen is good quality and I used one dose for an ET. Here is a link to a video of my 2012 Hofrat/Donnerhall colt. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=B906uAEPd6w
    Unfortunately he is a colt otherwise I would keep him. Hofrat might meet all of your needs very good in Dressage, received a high score in Jumping at his SPT, is black and throws black like my colt. Good luck!
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OR56GmeYbQ

Another Hofrat/Donnerhall but a bit older. 2008 mare. She is green but is going to be quite fancy when older.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com
    Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage

Crosiadore, lovely mare!
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto!

Very nice horses Crosiadore and BMF! What do you think Hofrat brought to the table in those breedings? Has anyone seen Trakehner offspring from Hofrat?

Interesting Marydell, make sure you post here if you get a Viscount pregnancy.
    www.svhanoverians.com

Hard to argue with De Niro or Don Schufro for GP dressage, especially with the oft proven success of Donnerhall with Trakehner.

Howwwever, as a lover of Trakehners in their own right, as well as outcrosses for other warmblood breeds, I can't help but suggest (request) that you breed this lovely mare at least some of the time to a Trakehner. The number of individuals is so small in comparison to other breeds and as a closed studbook, there is only 1 way to keep it alive and vital. Pity your mare is too closely related to my boys ; ), but one idea that hasn't been mentioned is Imperio.

Hofrat has many good Trakehner offspring, although I'm not aware of any upper level performers. Last year's Siegerhengst was a son of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x03hs3rmMSA Bad video but you can get the idea.

Also have a Herzzauber mare that is now 16 and retired. She was my daughter's riding horse. She was a blast to ride. A bit hot but with the softest back to sit on. She broke her hock in five places in a mare fight many years ago so is a pasture ornament. I did try and breed her to Solos Landtinus but she aborted the filly at nine months. Have not had the heart to breed her back. But......if I did breed her I would for sure go D-line. Most likely Diamond Hit. Love the D-line/Trak cross as Schiffon mentioned....one of the reasons I used Hofrat on my Donnerhall mare.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com
    Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage

Kevekko

So greatful to get to ride!

There is no denying that DeNiro is a SUPER producer of GP horses, I love the stallion , he is on my short list for a number of mares. But I have heard numerous times he will not shorten a mare. And as I mentioned, I saw him a few weeks ago and the back is just a bit too much in the same shape as my mare's. My gut just tells me no. I would be interested in a D line boy, but it has to be one with the right back conformation and one that won't throw too long.

Crosiadore, sorry to hear about your mare and her lost pregnancy. I can't believe how similar she is to my mare movement wise. That is exactly! how Zavier moves, same expressive hocks ect. Herrzauber lives just down the road from me so I have seen many of his offspring and he very consistently throws that same beautiful neck and head.
    Do you think Diamond Hit would work on a mare that needs what my mare does? I really like Diamond Hit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!
    www.svhanoverians.com