The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stallion Ideas??

I recently purchased a new mare and am currently stallion shopping...I have a couple in mind right now but would love some fresh ideas as there are likely many suitable stallions out there that I haven't considered.

What I am looking for is a stallion with a strong back and loin connection and a very evident ability to collect and for this reason would prefer a stallion that either shows clear talent for the GP or is already a GP horse. I would prefer Hanoverian or Trakehner for registration purposes but would definitely go elsewhere for the right stallion.

I would also be open to the right (ie really good moving) jumper stallion as this might be a good way to reliably bring a stronger back?

Thanks!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

pedigree? and a photo if possible?
    When you say a stronger back, do mean shorter coupled or a stronger loin?
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Wolkentanz II is available fresh in Canada. Schwarzenegger?

Freestyle reliably shortens up the back and the offspring I have seen, including my own, are very strong over the back/loin. I believe he is now approved Hanoverian, but you would need to double check with Jennifer.

By "Fresh" ideas I meant "New" ideas I would prefer frozen semen.

Marydell,
    She is Herrzauber/Karat/Prusso...she was top Trakehner mare in NA as a three year old, all 8's except for her topline score was 7 due to the back. I don't have a conformation photo. She has a super neck, beautiful type, three good gaits with lots of expression. The back is not weak in the loin...but it looks "saggy" because the area behind the withers is low and a bit long. When she was approved Hanoverian they said same thing, just weak behind the withers but loin and croup are good. So yeah, I would like something shorter coupled and a horse that looks uphill in the entire topline. That is very important.

I love Wolkentanz but he put length on both my really short coupled mares so I would be worried about using him with this mare.

Forte, yes, I have thought of him. He has exactly the build I am looking for but has he competed or schooled GP?
    www.svhanoverians.com

Donella, Freestyle has competed to the FEI level. He has a video showing tempi changes and passage, but I don't think I have seen piaffe. Jennifer is great to talk to and would give you details.

What about Lissaro van de Helle? Your girl might be the perfect type for him.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Clint, I would actually say Lissaro's back is a bit too long... how can the shorten and improve it in his foals?

Zavier?

If so congratulations!!!! I think she is absolutely stunning.

I would like to see her bred to Lord Luciano who is doing so well under Terri Stegars (as is Axis TSF who would be another choice, but I'm not sure if he is available frozen here).

Distelzar
    Le Rouge
    Silvermoon
    Latimer
    Hofrat

All of these are available in the US via frozen and have either done GP or bred GP offspring or are close to doing GP. I love Le Rouge, he puts such a wonderful temperament on his offspring as well as good movement. Le Rouge horses a great mixture of amateur friendly with professional quality movement. Every single one I've seen has had a very similar temperament.

Bugatti Hilltop?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

How about In Flagranti

Doh, how could I forget Buddenbrock?

Lissaro is an interesting suggestion though I didn't find him long at all? He was really impressive under saddle and he has the sweetest, kindest face. Hmm...does anyone have conformation shots of him?

Molly ,yes it is Zavier. Thank you For those interested here is a pic of her (not conformation):

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...Farms/zav3.jpg

Stolensilver...you think I should go straight Trakehner? I checked out Hofrat and like him a lot. I like Hotline even better though he isn't as advanced. Do you have any videos of any Le Rouge offspring? I will look into the others. Do you think maybe Hohenstein?

In Flagranti I have seen up close here and though he is pretty he isn't my type.

I was pretty decided on Hochadel and was told his semen would be available for 2013 but he isn't on the list I think he would be perfect for her and is very much her type. I also like Belissimo, Desperados and Damsey ?
    www.svhanoverians.com

Donello, Lissaro didn't strike me as long either, but I can't find a conformation shot. I know Heinrich Heine hasn't gone to Grand Prix, or FEI level, but he does seem to have that beautiful loin connection that Hochadel has, and beautiful movement. Carol has written to find out about Hochadel's availability and she will report back.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

What do you guys think of Rousseau. I look at a conformation photo of him :

http://www.stallionmatch.com/dekhengst.php?hengst=179

and this is the kind of back I am looking for. Super well conformed...probably from Ferro. I have never really looked into Rousseau before...?
    www.svhanoverians.com

I love Rousseau and the foals by him that I've worked with - well conformed, good movers (balanced and energetic), and lovely personalities. Talk with Susanne or Richard at Hassler Dressage for more info. Your mare is gorgeous, by the way!
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be ignited." - Plutarch

Owned by: Ghold Nugget (Gold Luck - Pablo - Weltmeyer)

I was pretty decided on Hochadel and was told his semen would be available for 2013 but he isn't on the list I think he would be perfect for her and is very much her type.
    It's because the last list posted by Celle is from March 2012. Wait in January, they will post the one for the 2013 orders. I too really hope Hochadel will show on it
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

What about Damsey? He is competing at Grand Prix and I have heard wonderful things about his foals.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I think Damsey is a good choice. If you go straight Trak, then Hofrat. Hotline has not(to my knowledge) gone GP. Hotline's offspring are nice, but the mare has a huge influence.
    The Desperados offspring I have seen I have liked.
    I have had Rousseau from a Don Gregory dam. The dam was very short coupled and the resulting filly is medium. Has he done the GP work?
    DeNiro has a slightly short neck which makes his back appear long but he has a strong one and fits your bill perfectly.
    I can put forward Don Principe as he has competed successfully at GP for several years. He has offspring rising through the levels with AA riders and pros. Even one with his AA owner/rider in Germany who has been highlighted by Reitersport. Now that he is at Hilltop, no problem with collection dates or shipping into Canada fresh or frozen.
    Have you thought about His Highness? If Hochadel is not available, then HH semen is very good. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have been a top GP competitor.
    Another thought is Benneton Dream. A pedigree to drool over for GP, he is a bit longer backed(not too long though), has just been awarded the FN title and his offspring are super. They tend to be a bit more substantial, not old fashioned but more foundation, and have power to spare.

If you are willing to take a risk, look at Viscount. Brand new, 3 coming 4 yr old by Valentino. Bred to jump, black, three very nice gaits, super character. Just finsished his 70d at Adelheidesdorf as Reserve in jumping and 4th(?) in dressage. Overall Champion. I saw him at licensing in 2011 and fell in love. WIll be using him myself on a Don Principe daughter. Should throw a quick hind leg for the pi and pa, good natural balance and collection at liberty.
    Valentinno has been throwing lovely type and three nice gaits. Ihave watched his offspring for several years now and am impressed.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Don't give up on Hochadel. The Celle list will be updated in about January 1st, in time for the "25% off" order-offerr from the Canadian Hanoverian Society. I do think, type-wise, he'd be a good match. He passes his qualities quite consistently. I do not know to what level he is trained.