The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question My cats are on a hunger strike!

The boys are healthy 2 yr old monsters--neutered orange males, housecats only.

Normally they eat canned Avoderm, expensive premium food which they gobbled down, twice a day. They get a few morsels of Wellness dry as a treat in the morning. When I travel, I use two electric feeders set to give dry food twice a day.

A few weeks ago I came home and they fussed about returning back to wet food, but did it in a day. Yesterday I went away, and my friend fed them wet at night, which they didn't touch, and new wet again this morning, which they didn't touch, even when I added a bit of the dry to it, so I took it away and they were screaming for food tonight, but won't touch the wet.

How long can healthy cats go without eating so I get them back to the wet. I love the way their coats look, they are great weight, and I have four cases of the stuff in the basement!
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

As long as they're drinking plenty of water, it's not really necessary for them to be on the wet food. That's really what you're paying extra for--water. And for some kitties, wet food IS necessary because they won't drink enough water.

So if they'll eat the dry just fine and are drinking, I wouldn't be too worried.

Another consideration is that perhaps you've got a bad batch of canned food? My dogs have gone off their feed before and I suspected a bad/stale bag. Got a new bag, all good.

As for not eating period...water is the more important thing. If they fast for a couple of days, they're not going to keel over. It's the water you need to worry about.

I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV...but I've pet sit for quite a few kitties and taken care of them when boarding at our clinic and hunger strikes aren't uncommon.

Good luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Today they gobbled down the Friskies canned food I give the barn cats. I will give the barnies the expensive food for a while. I like the expensive one cause its primary ingredients are chicken and fish, with few additives.

Science Diet (Science Death) was responsible for lots of problems with my previous cat, IMHO.

Well, Friskies is not a very good idea IMHO. Due to magnesium and phosphorous levels, you're much more likely to end up with crystals in the urine and UTIs. We used to call Friskies and Meow Mix "kitty crack". I would say that on average, 70%+ of the cats that came in with crystals in the urine were on one of those foods.

I'd skip the wet before I'd feed Friskies unless I had a cat I thought was starving to death otherwise.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Friskies Classic varieties are actually pretty good

BoD - check the lot numbers/expiration dates of the food. Is it possible these cans are from a new/different batch and there's something that changed that they don't like?

Get a couple of cans of Wellness canned and see if they like that.

Looking at www.chewy.com a 24pk of the 3oz (and I don't think Avoderm comes in large cans) Avoderm Chicken Chunks in Gravy is $26, or $.36/oz.

Wellness Chicken at 12.5oz in a 12pk is $29, or $.19/oz

Friskies and Nine Lives don't bother my cat who had the UTI, provided he's eating the 4Health dry food. They're both in their regular 'rotation' of canned food. There's a rotation because periodically they will be going along, eating one particular texture/flavor--"We love this. We eat only this. This is the best food ever!" And then they decide it's yucky and won't eat it. Weeks later, best food ever again. (This is partially why the most expensive thing I'll buy is Fancy Feast if I have a coupon. I'm not wasting money on "Premium" foods they're going to decide they don't like for weeks at a time.)

If they refuse to eat it there might actually be something wrong with it. I haven't heard of an Avoderm cat food recall, but I will go check. There have been cases where the dog/cat food is contaminated and the animals can smell that something is "off".
    Maybe you can return the cans for something else?

ETA: It was Avoderm dog food that was recalled recently.
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...g-food-recall/
    You are what you dare.

For cats, ANY food is better than NO food.
    Heptic lipdosis can creep up on any cat, at any age.

Once they get their appetites back, you can always try introducing the food you like to feed again by mixing it into a food they like.

2 members found this post helpful.

So Mango ate Friskies Mixed Grill tonight, and Pumpkin wouldn't touch it.

A new flavor tomarrow. At least Pumpkin had a big breakfast. The expiration date on the can is 2015. The barnies loved it.

The barnies have been on Friskies for years with no problems.

Tuesday morning, someone threw up overnight. Didn't look like mixed grill!

Both ate something this morning.
    Last edited by Bank of Dad; Nov. 20, 2012 at 09:44 AM.