The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dominus saddle

I am looking at a dominus saddle but the brand is new to me.
    Does anyone have experience with this brand?
    Specifically how wide is a wide?
    What kind of quality are they?

thank you.

The brand is no longer made, but was designed by Peter Menet, who also designs the Vega and Amerigo lines. We've got three in the barn, and they are nice saddles for their price point. They're thicker, tougher leather and are not the same quality as the Amerigo I have, but considering that they were much cheaper new, I wouldn't expect them to be. They're nicely balanced, tough, and seem to last forever. I can't speak as to how wide they are, since ours all have regular trees (which do seem to fit similarly to other regular trees).

I've ridden in one that I hated, and one that I loved. So I think it's probably hit and miss with that brand.

I have a Dominus Bruce Davidson that I absolutly love. It is so balanced and secure. There are definitely variations in quality. The older ones were designed by Peter Menet, but then, I believe, the company was sold and so the newer ones aren't the same quality.

I have heard this brand was bought out by Weathbeeta and then were made in Argentina, any idea how I could find out when this happened?
    I have googled the brand in a couple different ways and just get saddles for sale.

If it was bought out, then it is now marketed under a completely different name. Dominus as a brand in itself is defunct, and the saddles are only available used (unless the odd tack shop has a new one lingering around).

It was bought out, but still in production for a few years before it went completely defunct.
    I read somewhere that the older ones have the striped design under the flaps (mine does) and the newer ones don't, but I'm not sure if that's 100% accurate.

Okay, ran a search and found this thread, which might be helpful (especially the post for jn4jenny);
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=dominus

Dominus was always made in Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Heels_Down View Post
    I read somewhere that the older ones have the striped design under the flaps (mine does) and the newer ones don't, but I'm not sure if that's 100% accurate.
    I've heard this as well, mine has the striped design under the flaps too. The tree on mine is a regular but I think it runs a little narrow, I've heard other people say they run narrow too so keep that in mind. I like mine decently enough for the price, the seat is a little slick though. I probably wouldn't buy one again, at least with out seeing it first.

Ok I really appreciate the info. I would have to buy sight unseen and since I need a serious wide saddle I think I will pass although it looks in great condition, has the stripes and is a good price.
    But what is all that if it doesn't fit?

I had one, and HATED it. Fit my horse great, but it put me in an awkward position.

Have known two people with them, BOTH of them had the trees break. However, they were comfortable saddles to ride in and seemed to fit the horses decently. I wouldnt pay more than $750 for one though, I dont think they would hold up long.