The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pffttt, ULR and nitpicky rules.... I was questioned by an ULR at an event this fall for not having spurs on my Prelim horse for dressage.

Jennifer

[QUOTE=Dr. Doolittle;6673694]JWB, this rule has been in effect for a few years now (Janet would probably know how long ), and as mentioned, you were completely in the right.

What concerns me is that an ULR would be out of touch with the current rules (and to upbraid you, and be wrong? Yikes!) He was also wrong about the jacket over a shirt with no neckwear...:-/

Yes, but he is from Canada.....
    JWB, Your shirt was fine. I wore a coat because I was still cool, every time the clouds came back started to shiver, but I'm a whimp when it comes to being cold!

I'm so old fashioned, I wear one anyway!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

[QUOTE=nextyear;6674748]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    JWB, this rule has been in effect for a few years now (Janet would probably know how long ), and as mentioned, you were completely in the right.

What concerns me is that an ULR would be out of touch with the current rules (and to upbraid you, and be wrong? Yikes!) He was also wrong about the jacket over a shirt with no neckwear...:-/

Yes, but he is from Canada.....
    JWB, Your shirt was fine. I wore a coat because I was still cool, every time the clouds came back started to shiver, but I'm a whimp when it comes to being cold!
    Ah, that explains it...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about and honestly I am not a fan of his personality. He is a bit too snarky for my taste and I told him that this past weekend.

You were right on the rule and I was considering doing the same thing, but my SJ was earlier and I was still a bit cold. The weather was nuts on Saturday!

I had a good time at the event and placed well even with a iffy dressage test.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    You were right. You were perfectly fine in a grey shirt with a collar and no jacket.

Around here....it is VERY common to not wear a jacket...at all levels. We have a lot of HTs where you have all phases in one day. If your division goes with everything on the same day...you do not have to wear a jacket even if the HT has divisions on other days. People just wear a conservative color for their shirt.
    This.....

I know this isn't consistent with the thread, but I pretty much try to "conform" to what others are wearing in dressage and sj, regardless of what the "rules" might say. I once went to a schooling event at Loch Moy and was shocked that everyone was wearing a jacket for dressage. I was wearing a polo shirt but I grapped my jacket out of the trailer, and "rigged up" a choker of sorts, and went in the ring, looking the part. I just think it looks better to be as formal as the other competitors, regardless of what the rules might be.

I've been a huge fan of this rule since it was instituted, since I feel that as long as I am neat, presentable, and legal, I should wear what will most help me ride well...which is not a black coat on a warm day during dressage (at least, not on MY giant beastie -- that is work, sitting that trot!).

When the rule was first passed I was often the only person in sight wearing no jacket. I can tell you that my dressage scores seemed to match the quality (or lack thereof!) of my ride every bit as much as they did when I wore a coat. I've won the dressage in a shirt, and gotten nailed, as appropriate (turns out a horse brewing a suspensory does not look so engaged in dressage . Cannot really blame the outfit).
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about and honestly I am not a fan of his personality. He is a bit too snarky for my taste and I told him that this past weekend.
    He really is a good guy though and works very hard to get the events running better every show! We are very lucky that they stepped up and kept the events at the Horse Park going!!! Not everyone is great in politics.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    I know this isn't consistent with the thread, but I pretty much try to "conform" to what others are wearing in dressage and sj, regardless of what the "rules" might say. I once went to a schooling event at Loch Moy and was shocked that everyone was wearing a jacket for dressage. I was wearing a polo shirt but I grapped my jacket out of the trailer, and "rigged up" a choker of sorts, and went in the ring, looking the part. I just think it looks better to be as formal as the other competitors, regardless of what the rules might be.
    I hear what you're saying, but truthfully I think if you polled all the dressage judges at the end of the day they wouldn't be able to tell you how many people were in jackets and how many were in polos. They remember you for the exact amount of time it takes to halt at X and then you go out with the bathwater.

(unless of course you are in something sooo contrary to decorum that they feel the need to remind you that you are in public, which I've seen happen once - she was in a tank top)
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nextyear View Post
    He really is a good guy though and works very hard to get the events running better every show! We are very lucky that they stepped up and kept the events at the Horse Park going!!! Not everyone is great in politics.
    Agreed! I think he does a great job keeping lots of shows on the calendar. Show organizing must be a fairly thankless job. I am not trying to complain about the line o questioning about the shirt or the fact that they might not have been aware of the rule.

Around here recognized one-day shows are fairly uncommon. I just wanted to ensure that my interpretation and application of the rule was correct.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Generally people wear polos and most of the events where I am are doing show jumping first then heading right off to xc so most people are dressed in the XC attire except for maybe adjusting their horses boots; I would assume that your kerrits shirt is fine, I saw one guy at a recent recognized event this summer go around in a crew neck t-shirt - I thought it was a little slack of him considering who he rides w/ but anyway.

When I lived up in Maryland, one-day events were vary common and most of the time you went straight from SJ to XC. So it was normal to wear a polo to show jump in then throw on your jumping vest and go to cross country.
    But since I've moved to Florida I've actually gotten to use my nice show jumping coat (I bought it when I showed IHSA in college).

The weather was very strange that day, it went from cold to hot to cold.
    Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

I've been called out incorrectly on this twice, both times while riding past the judge's booth before my dressage test, by the same judge! I didn't mind correcting her the first time. I was a little less charitable the second.

1 members found this post helpful.

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by slp2 View Post
    Now, at a 2 or 3 day horse trials, they may waive coats due to heat and humidity, but that will be decided by the show management, and they will make an announcement on the grounds to let you know.
    Actually, the Ground Jury or Organizer has the discretion to waive jackets at any time.

Additionally, at temperatures above 85 degrees or a heat index above 85 degrees jackets are automatically waived. In other words, this is not a decision that the Ground Jury or Organizer has to make or announce. The competitors may decide on their own whether or not to compete in their jackets.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Canterlope: Really? That's interesting---I did not know that. I don't think I'd be brave enough to not wear a jacket unless they made an official announcement. I would be worried about being questioned on it.

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by slp2 View Post
    Canterlope: Really? That's interesting---I did not know that. I don't think I'd be brave enough to not wear a jacket unless they made an official announcement. I would be worried about being questioned on it.
    If you were to get questioned, EV114.10 EXTREME WEATHER would provide you back-up. It exactly addresses this issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?