The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lesson Barns in St. Louis?

I just relocated to St. Louis and have tried looking for good barns, but am ready for some recommendations.

I rode HJ until my early 20s, when I got tired of all the drama and things not being fun anymore and quit. I'm realizing now that the only thing I wasn't enjoying was the politics and aesthetics of the discipline but I do want to be riding.

Anyway, it's been 5 or 6 years since I've ridden regularly and I need a bit of hand-holding. I think the best place for me will be a multi-discipline type facility with reliable school horses to ride while I regain my confidence and my seat.

Any suggestions are really appreciated!
    In Which I Attempt to Not Suck at Riding: http://thenextfurlong.blogspot.com

Kels, welcome back to St. Louis!

Check out Irish Fox Stables. I believe their focus is on hunters, and have school horses for lessons. IFS is in Lake St. Louis, near the NEC. They also have regular schooling shows.

Same goes for Ridgefield Arena in Wildwood. Tracy teaches both western and english disciplines, and also has schooling shows.

Good luck!
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Thanks, Small Herd! Are there any barns in the area that do jumping AND dressage?

I work all over the area and row in Creve Couer, so driving isn't an issue!
    In Which I Attempt to Not Suck at Riding: http://thenextfurlong.blogspot.com

Default Barns

Two Barns I recommend:

Capital Farms: It is on Highway BA in Wildwood. Ellen Sadler is the trainer. She brings Eventer Brad Hall in regularly and is good with lower level eventers. Close access to Babler Park trails too.

Great Griffen Farms: This is a Hunter Jumper Barn but their barn manager is a dressage rider and gives dressage lessons. It is a very nice facility. Close access to Brommelsiek Park Trails.

http://www.greatgriffinfarm.com/

I also like some of the others mentioned but these are probably the ones I would recommend. If you want someone that will go to events with you I would go with the top one. Ellen goes to quite a few of the local events to help out her students.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted