The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Introducing existing cats to new cats

I'm bringing my 2 cats home to my parents house, where I'm currently living. My parents have 2 older cats (12 and 13) who have lived on their farm their whole lives. My parents are concerned that we're going to have problems with cat fights or aggression when I bring my cats here tomorrow.

My cats are younger, about 1.5 years old and are not cat agressive that I've ever seen. I plan to lock my Cats in the tackroom for a few days at first. How can I introduce them to my parents cats? All at once? One at a time? In an open area or smaller room?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Your situation is kind of tricky because they're outdoors, but I'd leave your cats in the tackroom by themselves for at least a few days to let them get used to the new location and to chill out from the move. The other cats should be able to smell them at least a bit, even through the door. Take things from each set of cats to the other to let them get used to scents even more. When you introduce them, I'd do it in a place big enough that they can get away from each other, but not completely out in the open, in case someone tries to run away. Can you close the barn so that all the kitties are inside? But not stuck in a small space like the tackroom?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Unfortunately, I can't think of an area to introduce them all where they could get away if need be. But luckily, my parents cats are indoor and outdoor so they will be in at night and my cats can be out every night alone.

I just picked up my kitties and they are not thrilled to be in the car in their carriers. They're meowing and carrying on. And one just peed in his carrier.

Poor guys are probably a little stressed. But they'll be home soon, in the safety of their tack room shortly. I'll definitely take items from each set of cats and put them in with the others so they can smell the smells. Thanks for the tips!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.