The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventers: I <3 You. seriously.

I went to an upper level jumper show yesterday to watch a family member compete. I could not believe how rude, bullying, and unsportsmanlike many of the people were in warmup. It was unlike anything I've seen before, and I did spend some years in h/j before switching over, although not at the upper levels like this particular show. My family member was not able to "claim a jump" (yep, this is what you do, you basically own one until you cede it) until she was on deck to go in the ring because myself and her mom were basically mowed over by the other gangs of grooms and trainers. Thankfully she has nerves of steel and was able to get the job done.

I now come crawling back to the dark side. Thank you all for generally being pretty cool and helpful people who want to see others succeed.

2 members found this post helpful.

^^THIS.

The HT's I've been to in my area are so well run. People are nice. The staff are very helpful and I've not encountered any rudeness.

There is absolutely nothing I hate more than warm up at a jumper show. Shoot me now.

Sounds like there were some idiots in Warm up. I was a show groom once and people did "claim" fences much more than in event world....but most would share and let others jump. It did sometimes take saying something to the rider. As a groom, I would set the fence for more than one rider but my rider was very much a Pro and didn't need a ton of warm up jumps....especially not for big classes.

I do prefer the warm ups at HTs.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I've said it for years.... I've been to high level dressage, hunter/jumper shows and events. I've been around the lowliest riders (like me lol) and the biggest names. BAR NONE the eventers I've been around are by and large the FRIENDLIEST and COOLEST people I"ve been around. Down to earth, willing to help out and just fun.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

3 members found this post helpful.

My warmup at jumper shows? Usually the first class. HATE warmups period, and even more so when it becomes a contact sport and/or a pissing contest.
    Click here before you buy.

I posted a few days ago about a crappy experience in the h/j world (1.5h to be exact on my new barn quest) & it too further solidified how much I like eventers.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

On the rare occasions that I've taken one of my horses to an h/j venue, it's a toss-up which one of us is more unnerved. In addition to all of the above and people draping things over warm-up jumps, they jump them IN BOTH DIRECTIONS! A horse coming straight towards you? That'll get an OTTB wound up pretty quickly.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry you had a bummer but glad to know you had it pointed out, in no uncertain terms, that Eventers are BY FAR the coolest. No doubt. DQs are also brutal. Speshly when you're on a hot little TB who HATES company and they are practicing their extended trots on their MASSIVE WBs. No thanks.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Eventers are obviously the best all over the world. I was competing at the weekend. I had two horses. Completed dressage on one - which was running over time. Went to SJ - huge queue, no one knew what was happening, time was running out before my next horse's dressage. No gate steward. When I said that I had another horse to do dressage on, someone said they were three horses away and I could go before them. No one objected, everyone more than happy to let me push in.

Next day in XC warm up, a rider appeared who had 3 horses to ride in the division. I "paid it forward" and let her go before me.

What a great way to spend my time.