The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Off the bed!

How to keep my dogs off my bed when I am out?

They have to be in the bedroom. Bed is an old brass bed with a newer very thick mattress - meaning it is really tall. About waist high on me. Dogs are Cavaliers and boy dog has had knee surgery. I dont want them to jump up or jump off!

I only need to block one side as the other is against a wall. Anyone use something easy to discourage bed hoppers?

Is it the fact that they are on the bed that bothers you, or just that you don't want them to hurt themselves getting on and off?

If its the latter, could you possibly invest in a step for them, so instead of jumping they have an alternative route?

Past that, I got nothing. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you want to keep them off (and not just stop them from jumping to get on/off), try an upside down carpet mat for an office chair, the kind with the little spikes on the back. It worked quite well when my dog tried to sleep on the couch at night. She learned quite quickly that just because we weren't in the room, it did't mean the no dogs on furniture rule no longer applied

Or, if your looking for a more visual barrier, try bed side rails, like you'd put on a little kid's bed.

Purchase an x pen and set it up around the bed? If the dogs can't get near, they're not going to be able to jump up.

I used a short (2') xpen set up around the Christmas tree when I have puppies, and I currently have a 4' pen set up around some fragile, recently transplanted plants to keep the kitties from gnawing on them.

crate train the dogs? I assume you are worried about the little guys legs....30-36" high is way to high for the little guys to be jumping down off of.

Or if you are ok letting them on the bed, buy a multiple stair step thingy (looks like an fabric covered mounting block) so they can get up and off the bed without damaging leg joints.

Love the ex-pen idea. I pick up used kiddy barriers at the used kids clothing stores. And I have a second one that was made to be a free standing baby barrier to keep toddlers away from wood stoves....

As others said, I'd crate if you really don't want them up there or get a ramp/steps if you're fine w/ it but don't want anyone hurt.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Get a new low bed and/or fix a ramp, if you do want them on the bed but not jumping on and off.

If you don't mind the looks, get some big fat pillows or maybe longish cardboard boxes and set whatever you use along the edge, the length of the bed, so no one even tries to get up there.

Thanks for the ideas. Just got back online to see these.

I want to keep them off the bed mainly because I fear for their joints and bones getting on and off. But also because they just dont need to be up there with dirty feet when I am at work!

I know I could crate them, but I want them to have access to their doggy door and be able to move around more while I am at work. Boy dog just discoved that he could make the giant leap on his surgically repaired knee after 3 years of never trying!

I was just looking for an easy way to barricade. I could put the ex-pen around it but it is kind of a pain. Stairs wont work (even if I wanted them up there) - the bed is so tall that the stairs I have are not nearly tall enough! I think I will get another cheap baby gate to lay on the bed hanging off the edge a bit. I have been using the ex-pen laid on the bed but it is a kind of heavy and awkward. Always something...