The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default God bless my son and his crazy antics.

Had to share my story of my son, who a man of few words but big actions.

His first lead line, just under age 2, was this past May. I was at the ring with clients, and my mother and assistant were getting him ready at the barn.

Apparently, he screamed and kicked and argued so much about getting dressed, that some persons came by "to check on him" becuase they thought my mom was abusing him. They eventually gave up and brought him to me in brown cotton shorts, a "cheeseburger" shirt, and bright red socks with his paddock boots.

I laughed, asked if he wanted to ride, and he nodded. So off we went in to the Leadline Classic, apologies to the judge for our attire. Luckily she had a sense of humor, and laughed too. Of course, he loved all the attention and was a ham for the camera. Nothing like tons of 1st show pictures in a damn CHEESEBURGER shirt!

Now this last October, he did his second lead line class. This time, he was happy to get dressed in his jods, shirt, TIE, jacket, paddock boots (but no gloves). But....he REFUSED to ride. Instead, he led his pony around. Once again, the judge and I laughed. I guess he took the specs of the class litterally.

*SIGH* Don't think he'll turn into the next Mclain Ward.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

6 members found this post helpful.

He sounds beyond adorable, EnglishIvy.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Ultra adorable!

Im hoping my little one plays the piano LOL

I dont have to feed it, and when times get hard we can burn it for warmth LOL
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

A friend told me this story about her very young niece showing in leadline.

The little girl placed 5th, and came out of the ring with big smile and was absolutely thrilled with her 5th place ribbon. My friend asked her why she was so happy. Her niece replied "I won the ribbon I wanted ! Pink is my favorite color."
    -Amor vincit omnia-

1 members found this post helpful.

Not that I said anything in this case, but as a 2 year old, I did a leadline class on my uncle's games horse, a fabulous Appaloosa gelding named Jake. As said uncle is leading me around, everyone starts yelling and waving at him, and he, being cool and all, smiles and waves back thinking they were all just cheering for me. Well, yeah, they kinda were - they were trying to get him to look at me because I was STANDING on the saddle waving to the crowd... At 2. With no one holding me. Apparently my mom and aunt were afraid to come in the ring for fear they'd spook Jake and I'd fall. He finally noticed me when we lined up & he and the judge had a good laugh over it. I still have that trophy...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

2 members found this post helpful.

when one of my little students graduated from leadline to a walk only class about five years ago, we had a funny moment - all riders were to walk on the rail. (coach or handler could be near if they chose, but couldn't actually help the rider beyond encouragement and being there in case they NEEDED help and were in danger)

One thing I always tell my students (the young ones) when we are preparing for a show is to make sure they keep their distance, and do NOT RUN OVER THE JUDGE, they don't like that very much.

After walk on the rail in both directions, lots of little riders line up on the rail and trot down one side from Point A to Point B. My rider has done this many times and is beginning canter/jump level at home, so has excellent control of her horse. As soon as it was their turn and they started trotting, the horse turned and headed DIRECTLY for the judge. The end of the line of horses was on the other side of the judge - horse just cut across the arena to the end of the line and darned if the judge wasn't in the way of getting there. Poor kid didn't know what to do, she'd never had that happen before.

Thankfully, the judge moved. and we all laughed.

Also had a time when one of my young kids did her first jump class on a 16hh mare that TROTTED an entire course of 2'6" jumps - she literally trotted over every single jump. Even the judge was in stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    Not that I said anything in this case, but as a 2 year old, I did a leadline class on my uncle's games horse, a fabulous Appaloosa gelding named Jake. As said uncle is leading me around, everyone starts yelling and waving at him, and he, being cool and all, smiles and waves back thinking they were all just cheering for me. Well, yeah, they kinda were - they were trying to get him to look at me because I was STANDING on the saddle waving to the crowd... At 2. With no one holding me. Apparently my mom and aunt were afraid to come in the ring for fear they'd spook Jake and I'd fall. He finally noticed me when we lined up & he and the judge had a good laugh over it. I still have that trophy...
    I hope you were doing the "queen's wave"!!!!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Mardi, you reminded me of one. I led a very reluctant little boy for his horse crazy mother who had made every promise in the world to him to get him to do this. At the time he was completely obsessed w Peter Pan and all things green. He placed second in a fairly large class but as we were walking out to receive our red ribbon I see the panicked mother convincing the ribbon girl to give him the green 6th place ribbon and his 2nd to a surprised but happy little girl. Apparently she had told him he would win a green ribbon and she knew all heck would break lose if he didn't !

2 members found this post helpful.