The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Judged a small schooling show yesterday....Great answer from a Leadliner

Yesterday I was judging leadline at a show I went down the line asking the kids while judging the class to name one thing that the judge is looking for from them....

Most, almost all, of the kids said heels down. Great Answer! But one kid had a surprising one.....

Strategy!!

Thats right! Strategy, in Lead Line!!

Can't wait to see that kid in Mini Stirrup!!
    www.easternprospects.com not updated Time for a total rehaul
    www.sherylwilkins.zenfolio.com

17 members found this post helpful.

My trainer has a story similar to this... she was judging leadline somewhere and went down the line asking the kids what their ponies' names were and what color they were.

She got to one little girl and said "what's your pony's name?"
    The little girl answered "Lucky."
    My trainer said "And what color is Lucky?" (the girl was sitting on a grey pony)
    The little girl answered "He's brown."
    Trainer: "...he's brown? I think he's grey!"
    Little girl: "No, you asked about MY pony, and he's brown. This isn't my pony!"

30 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Mine answered (name?) Goldie
    (color?) Gold (it was a palomino...lol)
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

Love "strategy".
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

I used the color question a few years ago in a leadline class. I asked one kid what color the pony was, and the kid said, "Brown and white." I replied, "Yes, or you could also call him..." to see if the kid would come up with "Pinto." Instead, the kid said "Buster!" or whatever the pony's name was.

I laughed and laughed and laughed.

10 members found this post helpful.

My parents never let m live down my infamous leadline moments. One judged asked to back my horse, and I refused. When they asked why, my response was, "I don't want to mess up her tail!"

The best, though, left my dad wanting to crawl into a hole and die. I was on a slightly hot, but still very safe, Morgan mare. The judge asked each of us to stop our horses without the handler's help if possible. I quietly told the mare to "ho". She kept walking forward. Slightly louder, I called "ho" again, to no effect. Furious now, I screamed (loud enough for the entire show grounds to hear) "I SAID HO, B!TCH!" The mare parked out, eyes bugging, nostrils flared, and didn't move a muscle after that. I happily turned to the judge, who is now in stitches, and happily chirped, "See? It works!" Yeah, I've never, ever lived that one down. Years later, I was still being teased by everyone who was at that show.

104 members found this post helpful.

^^ I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while reading something. Oh my you hit the spot lol, I could hear it in my head and could not help but to burst out laughing!! Still am!

Thank u for that

1 members found this post helpful.

MyssMyst, I would pay money if someone had that on video you could share...

3 members found this post helpful.

I totally agree with DreamBignRide. I could not stop laughing! I'm sure I just woke up my mom sleeping in the next room

MyssMyst, thank GOSH you had a judge who could laugh about that!! How old were you!?
    That is the funniest thing ever.

Emily

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

In a good grooming class I asked one cute little girl what her pony's name was, she eagerly replied Diamond. I then got told the pony's showname, Girls Best Friend, how old she was, how high she could jump and basically every other detail anyone could possibly want. At this point I had moved onto the next exhibitor, she kept talking, right up to the point when ribbons were announced. She then proceeded to tell Diamond that they had won second place, how good she was...the running commentary continued outmof the ring and all the way back to the trailer I'm sure.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily&Jake View Post
    MyssMyst, thank GOSH you had a judge who could laugh about that!! How old were you!?
    That is the funniest thing ever.

Emily
    I was two. No video, sadly. But I am pretty sure there are pictures somewhere. I'll talk to my dad, lol.

There was a little girl in line next to one of my daughters and the judge was asking all the kids, "What is the one thing your mom or trainer always tells you about your riding." Every kid answered, "Look up." "Put my heels down." ETC. This little girl answered, " To make sure I go to the bathroom before I get on." We were all dying laughing.

27 members found this post helpful.

I'm laughing so hard I'm wiping the tears away! Kids really do say the darndest things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

best thread ever

3 members found this post helpful.

A GREAT thread!!!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Thumbs up for every post! Especially "I SAID WHOA, BITCH!"

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    My parents never let m live down my infamous leadline moments. One judged asked to back my horse, and I refused. When they asked why, my response was, "I don't want to mess up her tail!"

The best, though, left my dad wanting to crawl into a hole and die. I was on a slightly hot, but still very safe, Morgan mare. The judge asked each of us to stop our horses without the handler's help if possible. I quietly told the mare to "ho". She kept walking forward. Slightly louder, I called "ho" again, to no effect. Furious now, I screamed (loud enough for the entire show grounds to hear) "I SAID HO, B!TCH!" The mare parked out, eyes bugging, nostrils flared, and didn't move a muscle after that. I happily turned to the judge, who is now in stitches, and happily chirped, "See? It works!" Yeah, I've never, ever lived that one down. Years later, I was still being teased by everyone who was at that show.
    Oh, I'm crying! That is the best!

my cousin was in a leadline class and she said she was going to win because she could reach the pedals!!!!!
    Author of COTH article "The Other Side of Aaron Vale"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post

This just about had me in tears, what a fabulous story!!