The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Teething 3 YO - Seems Uncomfortable

So I have a 3 YO who is cutting his adult teeth. One fell out, one is loose and there are two others that you can see are making their way in and that is just the top front bunch. He has suddenly stopped eating his grain, I have found that he'll eat some if I soak it and mix it with bran for a mash. This guy is a bit of a hard keeper as it is and the last thing I need him to do is stop eating. The dentist was out in Sept and said everything looked good, to me everything looks normal and I'm sure like in people it's not comfortable. Has anyone been through this with their horses? How long does it take for things to settle down? Any tips or tricks to help them get through this process? TIA

Is he eating his hay ok? It is strange that he would not eat grain and be ok eating hay? It is uncomfortable for horses while they shed there caps. If he is still not eating his grain in a few days I would have your vet come out and sedate him so the caps can be pulled.

You might give him some ear corn, make sure the kernels are hard and dry. Horses like to chew off the kernels, but seem to just swallow them whole, doesn't really do much in nutrition. Old time remedy to aid in shedding caps on young horses, plus gives him fun with the cob.

Letting him chew a couple cobs a day for a week or so, might be what is needed to get those caps off, plus he has a good time! The horses I have done this with, have the whole kernels just go thru their systems, visible in the manure, so no calories to speak of.

Now is a good time to get ear corn, but make sure those cobs and kernels are DRY. Deer feed ear corn in plastic bags may cause molding, which you don't want horse eating. Bird food ears are probably not bagged and fine for horses. Maybe someone with a cornfield would let you walk the rows to find some. Have to say the newer combines leave VERY FEW ears in a field these days.

I would feed him soaked pellets, my gelding was a sensitive boy when he was teething and I think he was off and on teething till he was close to 5 yrs. old.
    If you've ever been around a human baby who's teething, they can cry and cry and cry, they are so miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbGrl View Post
    Any tips or tricks to help them get through this process? TIA
    I would get the dentist out again. A lot can change in two months for a three year old. A cap may have slipped which might put him off his grain. Grain requires more precision to eat while hay is a easier chew.

My 3 year old is chewing like crazy right now and pooped one of his caps yesterday! He's still eating his hay and grain with no problems and vet is happy with how his teeth are coming along. I'd definatley get a vet out to check your guy as like the others have said, a lot changes in a few months!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I would get the dentist out again. Might be some caps to take off or something else going on. If he's acting distressed, he probably is. IME, most don't seem to even notice if all is going well. It's not like having a teething toddler who drools and gets an ear ache and runs a fever. At least not in my experience...most of the horses barely acknowledge the process. Were it me, I'd call the dentist out again.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Well he's back to eating now. The one offending tooth came out and he is back to his grain. There's one more loose so I'm sure we'll go through this again in the near future. He keeps eating hay like it's going out of style so I think it was just the chewing of the grain. He'd eat the grain if I soaked it although not as well as unsoaked grain.