The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Glide dental floss - it's as good as twine

Coming back from the store a bit ago I saw a woman leading a horse down the road by a lead rope around his neck. She was carrying a broken halter. I stopped to see if I could help, I usually have twine somewhere in my pickup, but all I could find was a container of glide floss in the glove box. So we wrapped the floss around and around the broken metal ends on the halters cheek piece. Voila!!! It kept the halter together until I could get back with a halter from her barn.

I think I'm going to put a packet of Glide in my emergency kit. Any items you carry that are out of the ordinary?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

2 members found this post helpful.

That's brilliant! I once caught two horses with the slip leashes from the emergency clinic. I was working an overnight when someone pulled up and said two horses were moseying down the road. With three leashes between us, we fashioned halters for each and a lead rope for one. The owner showed up (he had just moved from out of state, turned the horses out and went to dinner, and the mares had found the only break in the fence). He hopped on one and ponied the other back home.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I never leave home without baling twine. I always carry it in the glove box rolled up and kept in plastic sandwich bags. And I always have a length of lead rope that I can use to make a temporary halter.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    That's brilliant! I once caught two horses with the slip leashes from the emergency clinic. I was working an overnight when someone pulled up and said two horses were moseying down the road. With three leashes between us, we fashioned halters for each and a lead rope for one. The owner showed up (he had just moved from out of state, turned the horses out and went to dinner, and the mares had found the only break in the fence). He hopped on one and ponied the other back home.
    I keep a couple of slip leashes in my car for this reason - I haven't had to use one on a horse yet, but I've caught some loose dogs! I also keep twine in the glove compartment, and a knife (you know, the folding kind you use for hay) in my center console in case I ever need to cut something loose.
    OTTB owner.

Dental floss is VERY strong. Glide and the generic version are made out of Teflon, I think. Even regular dental floss is pretty sturdy. I keep a swiss army knife and a new package of clothesline in my car, as well as a spare leash and collar.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Great tip!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

After having to catch a random loose mule and only having a piece of clothesline, I just carry a halter and lead in my car I bought a cheap used halter from the consignment shop. I've given it away once to someone at a paper chase when their horse broke his and they didn't have a spare. I bought another one and that one has been used to trailer home a friend's horse from an event in the same situation. There are enough farms around and I spend enough time at parks and riding venues that you never know when you might need to catch a loose horse.

Not something I carry in the care, but:

Horse got stung/bit by something nasty on the wither and I have had to ice it to get swelling down. Took two Ice Boots out of the barn freezer and velcro'd them to each other. Lays very nicely over the wither - so nicely that I was able to go off and leave the mare; she moved around her stall, ate, etc and they didn't move!

I do have in car a couple of leashes and lead ropes, have never had to use for a horse - yet
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Dental floss and a tapestry needle can also do a reasonable job of repairing rips and holes in the mesh of a fly mask. It's almost as handy as duct tape, baling twine, and WD-40 in my book.

As lasik says, dental floss is THE best for repairing, and not just fly masks. I've been using it to repair tak for a long time, and when you cut the end, you can burn it. It's super strong for sewing leather. It's also good to travel with. with dental floss and a needle, you can sew almost anything. I was hiking across the Sahara Desert and my backpack strap broke--dental floss.

I always have a bunch at the barn. I buy it at the dollar store.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    Dental floss and a tapestry needle can also do a reasonable job of repairing rips and holes in the mesh of a fly mask. It's almost as handy as duct tape, baling twine, and WD-40 in my book.
    Incredible!!! I would never have thought to use floss for anything other than dental care. I see I need to add the needle to my emergency kit. I really like multi-use items.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Dental floss is also quite handy for when you need to un-adhere something. Slip it between the two layers and it will cut through many different adhesives. Learned this papercrafting, use it all over.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.