The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse not his normal self and loose stools are getting worse... Ideas?

Let me preface by saying I will be calling my vet out tomorrow morning.

Friday I noticed my normally gluttonous horse ate all of his grain but did not eat all of his hay. I could tell that he felt punky. I gave him Banamine friday and he perked up and ate his hay and was drinking well. He had somwhat loose stools Friday night but I had initially thought that was a good thing (no blockage.)

Yesterday I could tell that he still didn't feel up to parr but he was drinking, ate a small amount of pellets, was eating his hay half-heartedly, and grazed when turned out. I noticed his stools seemed a little looser.

Today he has exceptionally runny stools and still is not interested in hay. He is still drinking water well. The only change in his diet is smartgut which was added a week ago (he wasn't havent problems but my mare has ulcers so I just started giving it to him also as preventive maintenance along with her.)

Any suggestions? Thoughts on what to expect????

Could be colic because of sand you may not want to wait on calling vet out and to keep feeding may make worse.

Any temp?

Isn't inappetance and runny stools a sign of PHF?

Temp is 99.8.

Other relevant facts: 6 years old; very calm and easy going; wormed regularly; not a picky eater; has free access to timmothy hay; he gets 1lb of pellets in the the a.m and p.m. as well as 1/2 cup ground flax seed in the p.m.

Was that temp taken before the banamine? I would be wondering about Potomac Fever and calling the vet now. Keep checking the temp before giving Banamine or other fever reducer.

It is a little late in the season for it but my horse got PHF last month - had these same symptoms. Never really ran a fever. Worth checking out.

Colitis? I'm going through this now due to acorns. My filly went through the hit wire to eat them and I immediately knew shed get colitis. Has happened before with other horses hence the Hotwire.

Puky, watery manure, fever or not, stocking up can be a sign,

Your vet needs to take blood and check for inflammation. Horses can get very sick from colitis, like founder so you need to get their advice on treatment ASAP if it is that.

Vet seems to think it is sand colic. He is rallying a little today. His stools are getting firmer and his appetite is improving with no banamine. The thought of Colitis and PHF scares the daylights out of me so I was a little relieved to hear sand colic. Thanks all for input.

Find some Assure Plus by Arenus. It's a little pricey but worth it's weight in gold!! We live on the East Coast in DE. Our vet is now recommend it after seeing the results. We have tried Sand Clear and all the other products like that in the past but this has been the best by far. Good Luck
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com