The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions on Buteless (or B-L, as I think it's now called)

Does it work? My gelding HATES regular bute. Luckily, he doesn't need it very often. He does have pretty bad arthritis in his back fetlocks. That's bad since he likes to lie down to sleep. If bute is like I've heard (and yeah, I heard it on the internet so....) like aspirin for people, would he get any benefit from a little B-L in his feed? Or is it just crap/feel-good stuff? I'm definitely not feeding bute to him every day.

Cold weather is hard on creaky joints. I'm just looking to give him a little more relief. (He already gets injections and a daily joint sup.)

It is worth a try but isn't likely to help much with arthritis. I like previcox as needed.

Have you discussed daily use of voltaren gel in the joint area, with your vet?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Have you discussed daily use of voltaren gel in the joint area, with your vet?
    Hmmm. Never heard of that stuff. I'll talk to my vet about it and the previcox.

BTW, my mom has bad arthritis in her hands/thumbs and I sent her the link you sent me alto since it looked like it might be an option she might not have seen before. Thanks!

I think BL Solution is complete and utter crap. I went through I can't even count how many different feed through pain relievers, joint supps, etc with Aisha for the last seven years of her life (DJD L hock, resulting bone spavin R hock, arthritis in knees). BL Solution was one of the most useless.

Best by far was Cosequin with...something. I think? I can't remember. Simkie gave me the info on it, and it was something I could only order from a place in Colorado IIRC. But in her last several years, we went with the NOTHING approach and unlimited turnout. She was never sound, nothing would have made her sound, but she was happy and got up and down as easily as all those joint changes would let her.
    Last edited by TheJenners; Nov. 18, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

PS: that gel is the same active ingredient as Surpass, just marketed for horses, not humans.

It works well, I've used Surpass on myself .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Best by far was Cosequin with...something. I think? I can't remember. Simkie gave me the info on it, and it was something I could only order from a place in Colorado IIRC.
    Corta-RX with HA and collagen, maybe?

I think you can get it online now: http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/p-...x-pellets.aspx

City of delusion in the state of total denial

BL-Solution has worked well for my guy in the past- comparable to bute when used after a hard ride. I haven't used it in several years, because it contains devil's claw and yucca, and so it does test. I'm not sure how it would stack up against bute for him now with more pronounced arthritis. Previcox may be an option for you.

Incidentally, if BL-Solution does work well for your horse, I second the recommendation for Corta-RX HA. I used to use that for my guy in the off season. It has devil's claw and yucca, but the version I used also has 100mg HA. He got hock injections every year because of arthritis and a Legend/Adequan rotation every I don't recall how many weeks. While on the RX HA he did not need his Legend and Adequan- he felt just the same without it. On regular Corta-Flx in the summer, there was a noticeable difference without the injectables. Thanks for reminding me of it, Simkie- he's currently on bute daily and I am wondering if I shouldn't give RX-HA another try in lieu of bute + 100mg oral HA since he responded so well in the past. It's pricey, but it was worth it.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

B-L, I believe, contains Devil's Claw, which is an herbal product with weak NSAID properties. If one has faith that a consistent amount is present in each dose (which one would be believing blindly) then one could expect the same effect, roughly, as giving roughly 1/10th of a tablet of bute.

If the horse "hates" bute, try the flavored powders, which come in a multitude of flavors. Mine like molasses and peppermint best. Smartpak carries a whole bunch of flavors.

All NSAIDs (even Devil's Claw) carry a risk of stomach and kidney side effects. But the risks are fairly low in a healthy horse when the drugs are used occasionally vs. day in and day out.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    B-L, I believe, contains Devil's Claw, which is an herbal product with weak NSAID properties. If one has faith that a consistent amount is present in each dose (which one would be believing blindly) then one could expect the same effect, roughly, as giving roughly 1/10th of a tablet of bute.

If the horse "hates" bute, try the flavored powders, which come in a multitude of flavors. Mine like molasses and peppermint best. Smartpak carries a whole bunch of flavors.

All NSAIDs (even Devil's Claw) carry a risk of stomach and kidney side effects. But the risks are fairly low in a healthy horse when the drugs are used occasionally vs. day in and day out.

BL solutions did little for my horse. He does very well on a low dose of previcox.

There are lots of joint suppliments such as cosequin etc. that work well for horses affected by mild arthritis, but if inflammation is bad, NDAIDs generally do a better job at controlling the pain.