The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Resistance to Roundup is a big enough problem they are going to be adding 2,4-D in increasing amounts to kill weeds. You don't get to this situation in this relatively short timeframe with normal use of a herbicide.

Talking to "farmers around here" doesn't extrapolate to the rest of the country or the world.

http://www.science20.com/news_articl...estimate-94753
    A new study says that the use of herbicides in the production of three genetically modified herbicide-tolerant crops, cotton, soybeans and corn, has gone up rather than down. The counterintuitive estimate is based on an analysis of publicly available data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Agriculture Statistics Service.

USDA's own numbers say herbicide use is up

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Resistance to Roundup is a big enough problem they are going to be adding 2,4-D in increasing amounts to kill weeds. You don't get to this situation in this relatively short timeframe with normal use of a herbicide.

Talking to "farmers around here" doesn't extrapolate to the rest of the country or the world.

http://www.science20.com/news_articl...estimate-94753

USDA's own numbers say herbicide use is up[/COLOR]
    Use is up for many reasons, some transient.
    With GMOs, use is halved where those are used.
    They just had a story on this in our local news last evening, with local farmers again saying how those crops have helped produce better all around crops, including considerably less chemical inputs.

Here is one story on GMOs, right below the one you linked to there, explaining more what GMOs are and are not:

http://www.science20.com/michael_eis..._not_scare_you

"use is halved where those are used" doesn't at all take into account the ever-increasing number of acres on which GMO crops are used.

Are you saying the USDA's own numbers are wrong?

I do understand what GMO means

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    "use is halved where those are used" doesn't at all take into account the ever-increasing number of acres on which GMO crops are used.

Are you saying the USDA's own numbers are wrong?

I do understand what GMO means
    I say that because there are more chemicals used, that doesn't mean that is happening only on GMO crops.
    Not so, according to those that are using GMO crops.
    Not saying it may not happen here or there, but that one link was extrapolating that this or that may happen with little data for that.

To use more honey in the home, you can substitute it for sugar in recipes. I do this and can't tell any differences in taste. I am trying to use more honey so this substitution plan works out pretty well, instead of just using honey on "special" stuff where only honey will work.

Here is a site with some suggestions about the honey substituting.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1923...243192,00.html

Loss of bees for pollination would be a huge blow to the food producers, whether they are honey bees or other kinds of bees. The bees work tirelessly and cost nothing in wages! They are entertaining to watch, certainly make the plants produce better. Some plants would have no fruit or edible parts, without being bee pollinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

Regardless.

I really did not post this to start another GMO war.

I was more aiming at the idea that we need to think our actions through a hole lot more than we tend to.
    Aside from the possible fallout from changing our plants too quickly (or anything else for that matter)

However, as in many situations there is probably more than one reason, possibly benign in itself, but compounded leading to disaster.

What Bluey is trying to express time and time again (and I do agree with her, even though I am a flower child/Hippie at heart and pretty much anti poison) we are using as a whole a lot less pesticide than we used to in the 60s and 70s.
    In part because we have made progress in the techniques used that eliminate a lot of problems, part because the industry has supplied us with better, more pin pointed sprays to use. Many not even toxic to the non target organism.

Also, please do note: Just because something is labeled 'Organic' does not mean AT ALL that it is harmless.
    Some of the remedies are highly toxic, especially in compounded doses.

The point of the OP, with a twinkle in the eyes:
    if you eat primarily/exclusively plant derived foods, you ought to consider that bees do the work, and the people who tend to them can use the incentive honey sales provide to keep the hives or get more.
    (I am sure the hard core AR/Vegan people would love to see the hives set free, since the poor bees are enslaved.)

Same as you might as well enjoy the warms and comfort of wool, since the animal is better off without it come spring.
    Not to mention that in the small niche of the North German countryside, sheep are used to maintain the levees and dykes along the coastline: they keep the grass short, and with their hooves they agitate the roots to form a stronger base while closing up the holes small burrowing animals leave.
    And that since the early 1960s, after a devastating storm surge broke the dykes in 61 places.

oh, and BTW, bees don't usually frequent grains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    (I am sure the hard core AR/Vegan people would love to see the hives set free, since the poor bees are enslaved.)

oh, and BTW, bees don't usually frequent grains.
    I just wanted to add that the bees regularly set themselves free to the despair of their loving keepers. It's called swarming. If a bee wants to go, a bee goes.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I just wanted to add that the bees regularly set themselves free to the despair of their loving keepers. It's called swarming. If a bee wants to go, a bee goes.
    But when the keeper has a hive ready, they might just move next door!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

But when the keeper has a hive ready, they might just move next door!
    Ooo...that's diabolical!! Free the bees! Free the bees!

Not to mention that in the small niche of the North German countryside, sheep are used to maintain the levees and dykes along the coastline: they keep the grass short, and with their hooves they agitate the roots to form a stronger base while closing up the holes small burrowing animals leave.
    And that since the early 1960s, after a devastating storm surge broke the dykes in 61 places.
    In the same vein, this piece of road grading equipment is called a sheepsfoot roller. You know why? Because it compacts the dirt in much the same was as driving a herd of sheep through town does. When the roads would get a little too loose, the local shepherd would bring his flock in to tamp everything back down. Now we have Caterpillar equipment that does the same thing, but the heritage of the equipment is obvious in it's name.

I've always thought that was interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    In the same vein, this piece of road grading equipment is called a sheepsfoot roller. You know why? Because it compacts the dirt in much the same was as driving a herd of sheep through town does. When the roads would get a little too loose, the local shepherd would bring his flock in to tamp everything back down. Now we have Caterpillar equipment that does the same thing, but the heritage of the equipment is obvious in it's name.

cute!

(but I think it would not work well on a dyke...thus the sheep)

actually, they are currently thinking the honeybee deaths are caused by a virus. Read all about it instead of listening to weird anti-GMO rhetoric.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2786540/

http://www.landesbioscience.com/jour...LENCE0067R.pdf

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

I see those all over new construction sites and always wondered what their purpose was. I get it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    actually, they are currently thinking the honeybee deaths are caused by a virus. Read all about it instead of listening to weird anti-GMO rhetoric.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2786540/

http://www.landesbioscience.com/jour...LENCE0067R.pdf
    Yes, that's been the implication other anti-GMO articles/studies as well, but the question is WHY is this happening? There IS some evidence that it's because of GMO-related issues, as stated in one of the articles I listed.

Sure, viruses kill every day. But when you find colonies with multiple viruses, something that doesn't normally happen, you start to wonder what's causing *that*

but I do recall having heard that renting the hives to orchards, etc is almost better business than the honey.
    That's what I recall from my beekeeping and certification class.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein