The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eat more honey!

Especially if the bulk of your diet is derived from plants:

It was a mere side note in an article I was reading on the road.
    Honey bees are a major factor in pollinating flowering crops.
    Should the bee disappear, they would take along about 30% of the crops.

Other studies have shown that earth bees, like bumble bees are even more important than the much hailed honey bee: they fly much earlier in the day and when the weather is not as nice.

In Europe it has been long since promoted to put accommodations for those lesser known insects in your garden to help with the production.
    A small mock wall with roof is fill with wood, straw, reeds, blocks of various sizes to allow the insects to nest there. If done right (with a little talent) it can look very nice and natural.

So, when people go all out Vegan and refuse Honey, they might be shooting themselves in the foot.

(Btw, bats are also major pollinators, especially the fruit kinds, being the major visitors for many night blooming varieties)

I think I'll be doing my share of the bee preservation right now: Hot Toddy...hmmmm

http://www.cyberbee.net/research.shtml
    Thought I just link the first article, so you don't think I am making this up in a rumandhoney fog!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I'm not sure how eating (more) honey helps with bee preservation - ? I love honey, don't get me wrong, but eating it doesn't help produce more bees.

Bees are dying at a fairly alarming rate, with more and more research showing the GMO situation has a huge role in that.

3 members found this post helpful.

eating local honey can help with allergies too.
    i make sure we eat raw local honey all winter and have noticed that most seasonal allergy symptoms are minor the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm not sure how eating (more) honey helps with bee preservation - ? I love honey, don't get me wrong, but eating it doesn't help produce more bees.

Bees are dying at a fairly alarming rate, with more and more research showing the GMO situation has a huge role in that.
    Well, the eating itself does not make more bees, that is true.
    But buying from your local bee keeper gives him/her an extra incentive to keep his hives going. Without them the situation would look even worse.

The info is a bit dated by now, but I do recall having heard that renting the hives to orchards, etc is almost better business than the honey.

Regardless, the product needs an outlet.
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I love honey and have it on toast every morning. When our woodlot is finally cleared we are going to section part of it off and plant a meadow so we can get our own bees. Tending bees is what my husband wants to do in his retirement so who am I to say no? Free honey!

2 members found this post helpful.

Can you link to all that research you are writing about there?
    REAL science, please, not pseudo, fear mongering type alarmist articles taking true science out of context to further certain agendas.

Honey bees are pollinators of a lot of our fruit crops, but a ton of insects & other animals are pollinators, not just bats. Not sure any N American bats are pollinators though...

Honey bees aren't native to the Americas (neither are most of what they pollinate).

Funny story: I work with a an entomologist who wanted to put a hive in her yard. B/c honey bees are domestic animals, city considers them livestock.

I do love honey in my tea! I try to buy local honey, for a multitude of reasons.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's about sending some money the bees' way. They can't collect unemployment, so it's really important that they be able to sell their wares.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

As a kid, our neighbor raised honey bees and kept some of their hives in other farms, where there was a steady source of calmer water, like our concrete open top tanks and cisterns.

We didn't have chewing gum in those days and all, grown ups and kids, would chew on honey comb wax, after the honey was drained and sold to the store for bottling.
    I thought that is what the chewing gum in the little packages was for long time, until I got to try some and it was so bitter.

Seriously, for many years, there have been bee farmers that travel with bee hives to farms where pollinating is important, like for some specialty crops.

Mmmm. Love honey but it hates me. I'm so sad to be allergic to something so tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Can you link to all that research you are writing about there?
    REAL science, please, not pseudo, fear mongering type alarmist articles taking true science out of context to further certain agendas.
    Bluey, you can Google it yourself. The bees are metabolizing especially the roundup ready type GMO grains and it is causing a fungus to destroy them. This is fairly well known, and is not pseudo science. As well, the matter of zombie bees has been linked to the GMO issue. You can Google "The Capital Press" and search their articles. In case you are not familiar with that newpspaer, it is the principle agricultural paper in the Pacific Northwest, but covers California as well.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Bluey, you can Google it yourself. The bees are metabolizing especially the roundup ready type GMO grains and it is causing a fungus to destroy them. This is fairly well known, and is not pseudo science. As well, the matter of zombie bees has been linked to the GMO issue. You can Google "The Capital Press" and search their articles. In case you are not familiar with that newpspaer, it is the principle agricultural paper in the Pacific Northwest, but covers California as well.
    I think there is a hole in this evidence chain. I don't really see how the fungus relates to roundup. Both kills the bees, but I don't see how one influences the other.

Pesticides are certainly one reason bee hives are having a hard time though.

I read many national and regional farm magazines and have not read any definitive studies, just that some were being conducted and no results were indicating anything yet.
    That is why I was asking, as the jury is out for now and the science we know tells us there is no direct connection to be found today.
    There were a few older studies about other GMO may harm that were debunked on closer scrutiny.

Sorry, that GMO is the devil won't fly, not with what we know today.
    What we know is that it is a big political stick to bat with for those with all kinds of agendas, as so much science malingering is today's big fad for causes of the moment to thrive.

The reality is that, the better people have it, the more time they have to go tilt at windmills and science has always been a great windmill to tilt at for those so inclined.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heathe...b_1520757.html

http://bbe-tech.com/bees/2010/05/09/...ct-honey-bees/

I think something smells funny when Monsanto buys Beeologics, a major international company dedicated to studying and protecting bees.

Note also that I did not say the GM crops kill bees. The whole "GM deal" includes all the pesticides that are used in much larger quantities now, as well as (potentially) the GM products themselves.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heathe...b_1520757.html

http://bbe-tech.com/bees/2010/05/09/...ct-honey-bees/

I think something smells funny when Monsanto buys Beeologics, a major international company dedicated to studying and protecting bees.

Note also that I did not say the GM crops kill bees. The whole "GM deal" includes all the pesticides that are used in much larger quantities now, as well as (potentially) the GM products themselves.
    GMO crops have brought chemical uses down to half what they were before they were introduced.
    That blows that accusation out of the water.

While there is no action without reaction and some times there are unintended consequences, in general we are way ahead and getting better at what we do and how we do it every day.

Just imagine all the money it took to educate people in the West about what GMOs are and are not in the last election.
    All those millions would have supported so much more research and who knows, some of that may have supported some changes where necessary.

Science is paths to goals, it is not set in stone.
    For our world today as we know it, it is one very good way to work with what we have.
    Has given us our computers and GMOs and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    GMO crops have brought chemical uses down to half what they were before they were introduced.
    That blows that accusation out of the water.

While there is no action without reaction and some times there are unintended consequences, in general we are way ahead and getting better at what we do and how we do it every day.

Just imagine all the money it took to educate people in the West about what GMOs are and are not in the last election.
    All those millions would have supported so much more research and who knows, some of that may have supported some changes where necessary.

Science is paths to goals, it is not set in stone.
    For our world today as we know it, it is one very good way to work with what we have.
    Has given us our computers and GMOs and so much more.
    But what I do give her is that Monsanto is worse than the Devil!

Agro Mafia

It is really not that complicated, the bees ingest the compound that makes up the roundup ready grains, it weakens them and they are being killed by funguses. It is not rocket science truly not that complicated.

Since you seem reluctant to do any research yourself Bluey, here is one among about a dozen that I found with a simple search, from Purdue University among others.

http://phys.org/news/2012-01-honeybe...secticide.html
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

It is really not that complicated, the bees ingest the compound that makes up the roundup ready grains, it weakens them and they are being killed by funguses. It is not rocket science truly not that complicated.

Since you seem reluctant to do any research yourself Bluey, here is one among about a dozen that I found with a simple search, from Purdue University among others.

http://phys.org/news/2012-01-honeybe...secticide.html
    This article does not mention GMO round up ready grains at all. It only talks about insecticide and talc--a problem, certainly, but not what you are stating. I realize reading for comprehension is not your strong point, but perhaps you could supply a study that implicates GMO crops in any bee related issue?

Insecticide use may be down, but herbicide use IS up

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1931020.html

Genetically engineered crops have led to an increase in overall pesticide use, by 404 million pounds from the time they were introduced in 1996 through 2011, according to the report by Charles Benbrook, a research professor at the Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources at Washington State University.

Of that total, herbicide use increased over the 16-year period by 527 million pounds while insecticide use decreased by 123 million pounds.

Benbrook's paper -- published in the peer-reviewed journal Environmental Sciences Europe over the weekend and announced on Monday -- undermines the value of both herbicide-tolerant crops and insect-protected crops, which were aimed at making it easier for farmers to kill weeds in their fields and protect crops from harmful pests, said Benbrook.

Insecticide use did drop substantially - 28 percent from 1996 to 2011 - but is now on the rise, he said.

If you look up the keywords
    neonicotinoid and honeybee, you'll find many, many references to it and dead bees.

You're probably not going to find a direct reference to eating GMO corn and dead bees, because it's not that obvious. But when you find colonies of bees decimated, and the honey in there untouched (which is apparently very, very rare, as the honey is usually cleaned out if there's a colony collapse), and you find remaining bees with multiple viruses at once, suggesting a serious immune issue, then you start to make the connections
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/collapsing-colonies-are-gm-crops-killing-bees-a-473166.html

The study concluded that there was no evidence of a "toxic effect of Bt corn on healthy honeybee populations." But when, by sheer chance, the bees used in the experiments were infested with a parasite, something eerie happened. According to the Jena study, a "significantly stronger decline in the number of bees" occurred among the insects that had been fed a highly concentrated Bt poison feed.

Kaatz would have preferred to continue studying the phenomenon but lacked the necessary funding. "Those who have the money are not interested in this sort of research," says the professor, "and those who are interested don't have the money."

I sure hope those with the money find the incentive soon, or we're seriously going to be in trouble.

Insecticide use may be down, but herbicide use IS up

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1931020.html

If you look up the keywords [/COLOR]neonicotinoid and honeybee, you'll find many, many references to it and dead bees.

You're probably not going to find a direct reference to eating GMO corn and dead bees, because it's not that obvious. But when you find colonies of bees decimated, and the honey in there untouched (which is apparently very, very rare, as the honey is usually cleaned out if there's a colony collapse), and you find remaining bees with multiple viruses at once, suggesting a serious immune issue, then you start to make the connections
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/collapsing-colonies-are-gm-crops-killing-bees-a-473166.html

I sure hope those with the money find the incentive soon, or we're seriously going to be in trouble. [/COLOR]
    I know that the farmers around here have cut their overall chemical uses, where they use GMO crops, by more than half.
    Why that study finds those figures and how they come to them, I don't know where they are looking.
    When you ask those that use and pay for the chemicals, I tend to believe them.

Not only that, there is more to the GMO crops than just if they are more or less resistant to any one chemical that may or not need to be used.
    Those are the best strains for each area and uses and just by that they are the most efficient.

I still say, there is no study that show any direct or indirect definite reason for the grossly exagerated statement of yours:

---"Bees are dying at a fairly alarming rate, with more and more research showing the GMO situation has a huge role in that."---

Sorry, that one is just not true with what we know today and that is what I was commenting on.