The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hehehehe..... yup I've made that mistake more than once (whoops!) - now I have a habit of cranking her up and then letting the cab warm up while I get my daughter in her seat - then unplug on my way back to the driver's door.

(My poor truck is pitiful! Of course I only need to plug her in a few rare times a year down this far south).
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany

I'm proud to say I haven't (yet) done this. Was just thinking as I climbed into my poor frozen-over truck this morning that I should've plugged it in last night, it made me late to work letting it warm up and defrost!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post

Should I have a block heater installed tho, just in case?
    Choco, in GA, I wouldn't spend the money, so not worth it.

Mine will ALWAYS start, even if not plugged in. But if I cold start it, it's the 7.3L diesel Ford, so it will do the romp-romp noise and belch an impressive amount of smoke. Plus I'm freaking cold and I want to turn the heater on quicker, hee.

My husband managed to pull the wiring out of the tractor (with his tractor) shed this way!

You only forget so many times, then you will never do it again.

That is once for me. Also to make sure all the lights are off in the trailer when the truck is stall attached, that would be 2 times. Not fun when you come out and truck is totally dead in the water.

There is some device you can put on the truck, which doesn't let the trailer use up the truck battery. We had one put on the truck, because it sure does stink not being able to start the truck up with a dead battery. That trailer has two batteries of it's own anyway, but a short was bleeding them and the truck battery dead when hitched to the truck and parked. Got the short all fixed now, plus have that device on truck for protection if we use up power in the trailer. Trailers work on their own batteries, which charge as the truck drives down the road.

The trailer hitch place suggested that device, sorry I CAN NOT think of it's name. Common item and easily added to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    You only forget so many times, then you will never do it again.

That is once for me. Also to make sure all the lights are off in the trailer when the truck is stall attached, that would be 2 times. Not fun when you come out and truck is totally dead in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    If you don't, particularly with older diesels, they will just go rrrrrrr-rrrrrrrr-rrrrrrrrrrrr which is diesel for f you, human!!!LOL
    I have never had a (Ford) diesel say F U. At least until they made the 6 Liters, I don't think an F U was in a diesel's nature. I can't speak for other lines of diesel, but Fords and most tractors have been selectively bred to try no matter what.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks goodhors for the info.

But, I learned my lesson the hard way, and quickly. It is cheaper for me to just do it each and every time. And I do, each time.

Remembering to put the "foot" up on the gooseneck trailer is one for me and one for my husband. Never again have we forgotten. I won;t forget because we each had to fill in the grass where the foot was dragging. ARG!