The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me something about pugs.

No, not getting one....

My mom was asked by a rescue to take in two dogs, a pug and something puggish mix.
    The story was that the pug was the daughter of the mix, and about 5 years old.

Now, I understand that mixes can come out looking more like a purebred, but I do find it unbelievable looking at 'Toto', the poor thing with a terrier head on a pug body, and fluffy fur to add much volume (he looks like a fuzzy drum! )

Also, Pugly is graying around her muzzle, and her eyes are somewhat cloudy.
    If she and Toto are indeed related (there were 7 or 8 more dogs in the pack) I am thinking she is the mother, and much older.

So, the question is really, does anybody have a guess (sorry without pictures...I only passed through on my way back to the airport) as to when pugs tend to go gray?

(as an added kicker, the rescue lady was trying to get my mom to take another one of the pugs: one of the pack had been lost for days, and after they found her and patched her back up they asked my mom if it was ok for them to bring the dog over, 'to see if they would recognize each other' never mind that my mom already had two dogs, plus Toto and Pauline....not to mention they had not checked on them in a while either...they are only supposed to be fosters! )

Does your mother know "NO" is a whole sentence?

All I can say, from the pugs I have been around, is that they shed like mad, little tan hairs all over everything, all the time and that anyone owned by one/several are absolutely nuts over them.

Seriously, pugs are some of the less neurotic, most happy and pleasant dogs to live with, if a sedate companion, not something very athletic, is what you are looking for.
    They are great in obedience and good in agility, but not very fast.
    I have seen some gray around the head, that is normal for them.
    Like humans, some gray earlier than others.

1 members found this post helpful.

Pugs have dental problems - same number of teeth as all dogs but in a smaller mouth. I hope the rescue helps foster parents foot the dental bill for extra cleanings and extractions.

I actually did tell my mom the exact thing: No can be a complete sentence!

Strangely, when we were little she never had a problem with that!

The little dog is somewhat neurotic, glued to mom. But not in a bad way.
    After all it is a rescue. And I think all dogs were pretty fat when they were pulled....for a fat dog the pug gets a lot of air under her if she wants to.

I am guessing since the dog is adult and came (hopefully) with full checkup that the dental problems won't be too much.

Cut dog, but I am not in the market for a snore machine. being married to one is plenty!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Walking vet bills...loud...usually good personalities.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I have 2 pug mixes. The chi/pug is the sweetest dog on the plant. She sleeps under the covers with me every night. Everyone who meets her wants to take her home! The beagle/pug is adorable and sweet. The beagle part is a pain in the butt. I would love to have a pug/pug; however, with 3 corgis, 5 cats, plus the pug mixes, there is currently no room at the inn. I bet your mom ends up falling in love and will want to keep all of the foster pugs!!!

Of course we need pictures!

My brother had one. Nice dog with one problem - it farted. A LOT.
    A LOT A LOT A LOT A LOT
    A LOT

But it was a nice dog.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by incentive View Post
    I have 2 pug mixes. The chi/pug is the sweetest dog on the plant. She sleeps under the covers with me every night. Everyone who meets her wants to take her home! The beagle/pug is adorable and sweet. The beagle part is a pain in the butt. I would love to have a pug/pug; however, with 3 corgis, 5 cats, plus the pug mixes, there is currently no room at the inn. I bet your mom ends up falling in love and will want to keep all of the foster pugs!!!

Of course we need pictures!
    LOL, Sorry. I was only passing through, had everything packed away.
    I will assume full responsibility and accept my punishment!

I don't think the dogs will go anywhere. The rescue people seem to be very happy with where they are....