The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does such a place exist? (Sacramento, CA boarding)

Looking for a boarding facility in the Sacramento area, no more then an hour away from the city proper.

My requirements (which is where it gets iffy):

-paddock boarding
    -fed with hay and not cubes or pellets that the barn supplies
    -lessons offered but not required to be in a training program to board there
    -Stalls/paddocks cleaned by facility

I prefer a trainer that is eventing/dressage or jumper oriented, I'm a fairly advanced rider but I do have a few confidence issues. My very upper price limit is $350 a month, I'm a full-time student and I work part-time. Most places I've looked into require you to either be in a full training program in order to board there or they require you to feed/clean yourself a few times a week, which I can't do. Does such a place exist?

I think you may have a difficult time finding even paddock board at that price in Sacramento--outside of Sacramento you maybe able to find some place. Eventing Barns are a little scarce in that area as well.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm willing to travel up to an hour away which would include Davis/Woodland area, up to Shingle Springs area, Wilton, etc.

You might have luck in Davis/woodland. http://haciendahalaguena.com/Barns.html my friend rides here with Peter McGregor, but I don't know if you have to be in his program to board. Other barns out there you might want to check out are Willow Creek and Nelson Ranch.

Pacific Equestrian Center in Wilton is a dressage barn near me that I know has pasture board and multiple trainers, I don't know if they require you to be in one of the programs either.

Twin Palms up in Loomis is an eventing barn, I don't know if they offer pasture board but know someone who is boarding there and definitely not in the trainers program.

I think it might be hard to find what you're looking for, but also doesn't mean it isn't out there. Good luck!

Thank you, I will check out Hacienda Halaguena. I would love PEC or Twin Palms but they are both out of my price range. I have a friend who had her gelding in training at Twin Palms and she has nothing but good feedback on them.

try Panoshe Ranch in Elk Grove (actually just north of Elk Grove). I board there and love it. We have an eventing trainer available, but lessons/training are NOT required for boarding. Lighted indoor arena, round pen, lighted outdoor arena. Feed is grass hay in am and choice of grass or alfalfa at dinner. If you provide a bagged lunch/supplements it will be fed at lunchtime a no additional cost. Stalls are cleaned daily. We have stalls and pasture board (pasture is more like very large paddock approx 60 x 100 I am guessing on that). We do have paddocks,but not sure if BO wants to use them anymore, but you could ask. If you want to to know more or get a contact number feel free to pm me. OUr website kind of sucks right now, so... BO's teen son worked on it. Nuff said.

Thank you, I'll check into Panoshe. I have an email into one place, but not sure if they have anything open.

There is at least one place that meets the requirements in Shingle Springs.... pm me if you want. Not sure about lessons actually.... might not meet that.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Historic Nelson Ranch in Woodland has paddocks in the back, I don't know if there are any openings, and I think they are all self clean. I know there are some full care stalls with runs open. There isn't an english trainer there right now, although my trainer will come over sometimes.

I don't recall that Hacienda Halaguena has paddock board... although they have a few stalls with really big paddocks attached. Those tend to be full and I think that they are more than 350 a month. Peter is not the only trainer there and you don't have to be in a training program. I'm not sure it would be an easy drive from Sacramento.

Gibson Ranch has paddock board, cleaned by staff and feeds hay, but no trainer and I'm not sure if the arena is any good. I heard they were fixing it. There are lots of trails.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, I know of Gibson and Nelson. Unfortunately Nelson is self-clean, with working part-time and classes full-time, I can't drive out there on a regular basis to clean. What time I do have I use to ride.

I would also recommend Panoshe Ranch.

http://www.marvalstables.com/index.htm

I think this is in your distance range. It's fairly close to the freeway. Has paddock board, had H/J trainer (who mentions confidence building) & in your price range.

Woodland Stallion Station www.woodlandstallion.com They do have paddock board and a variety of trainers to choose from. I haven't boarded there in years so I don't know if the prices have gone up but it's a nice place.

Flying Horse Farm in Davis is a nice smaller facility and I don't remember if they have paddocks but they do have really large stalls with runs. Brian Sabo regularly does clinics there.

I know of MarVal, but Lodi can actually be more then hour with traffic, the freeways are horrible and going the back way is even longer.

I'll keep the Stallion Station in mind, I looked into Flying Horse but their rates start at $450.

Thanks everyone!

Nelson Ranch has both full care and self clean options, but the paddock stalls in the back are all self clean... bummer, I'd love to have another english rider to hang out with.

Stallion Station was pretty pricey the last time I looked. And it's not exactly convenient to the freeway, but it's a decent facility and apparently they are expanding their english shows for next year (I know this because they poached some of our dates... )

I've had several people recommend Nelson, but unfortunately I need a paddock, my gelding doesn't do well in a stall. I could do pasture too, but not many places will separate for feeding and my gelding gets grain and supplements.

I'm looking at a potential facility this coming weekend, so hopefully it pans out.

fyi I checked with my barn owner this weekend and the paddocks are available and will fit (just) in your price range. This is for Panoshe Ranch.

Thanks, but I think have a place picked out. Thanks for all the suggestions!