The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LOVE mine. Very sticky leather (calf seat and knee roll with grain leather elsewhere). I like a supportive slightly deep seat, so I got that. It's the first saddle that gives me added security. I like the wide seat. I love the wide, cushy panels because all the horses I've ridden seem to go happily in it. And it fits me well with no chair seat.
    They are custom made, so there can be a lot of variation to fit different horses and riders. I would not get one without trying it. I had the rep out and sat in a lot of other Antares. Nothing in stock was just what I wanted so I ordered new.
    For anyone who thinks they don't hold up... My trainer has one that is 11-12 years old, used many times a day by her and her students. The calfskin did finally rip a bit but it's still going strong otherwise.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

The tree broke in mine, as it did in two other Antares in our barn. I was told it would be several thousand to get it fixed, so now it sits in the garage.

I don't have my used Antares any more but the leather was really nice. Mine was supposedly full grain - super soft and grippy though.

I wasn't in the right flap so my leg was never quite comfortable and the saddle didn't fit my horse correctly and made him incredibly back sore. I was quoted over $900 to change the panels and given the service communication I had had I wasn't comfortable with that or fully confident that it would get done properly.

I sold mine on ebay for a steal and promptly ordered a County Sensation that I love. The leather is different but still awesome.

Good luck finding a saddle. Sounds like you found a nice used one so if it fits and you are comfortable with the company go for it! Every saddle company has stories like this, not just Antares.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I bought mine custom and it NEVER fit my horse right. It was the worst saddle ever. I would not ever buy another one. It hurt my back to ride in it and put me in the worst position.

Kestrel....Did you buy it new?? There's a warranty on the tree.. I cannot remember how many years it is.. I want to say 5, which is why I paid nothing to have my tree replaced.. They have to replace the entire seat with the tree which is why I suspect it is so expensive.
    Last edited by AlterHalter123; Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added poster's name

Both of my trees were replaced under warranty and took about 6 months each time. Trees SHOULD NOT BREAK like that. I have a Crosby PDN that is probably over 20 years old and the tree is still in perfect condition.

The Antares tree snapping issue is fairly well known. The company will deny that it is a problem, but if you ask around, you will find an inordinate number of people who have had broken trees in Antares saddles.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Both of my trees were replaced under warranty and took about 6 months each time. Trees SHOULD NOT BREAK like that. I have a Crosby PDN that is probably over 20 years old and the tree is still in perfect condition.

The Antares tree snapping issue is fairly well known. The company will deny that it is a problem, but if you ask around, you will find an inordinate number of people who have had broken trees in Antares saddles.
    I'm 99% sure my tree is broken again.. the cracking that it made the first time when I would post, is back... It made my poor horse lame he was so back sore