The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Antares Saddles

What do you like / not like about the Antares? I have the opportunity to buy a beautiful used one and just wanted to get some feedback on them. Thanks!!

Love mine. It's great. Super comfy. I know someone that had an issue with one. It made her horse buck because his back was very wide and he found it uncomfortable. I'd say make sure it fits you and the horse and you're good to go!

1 members found this post helpful.

Love mine! I've had both the calf skin and the grain leather. I like both but the calf skin of course has that extra special feeling. Beautiful saddles!

Love LOVE mine!! It's supple, comfy, and fits both me and my horse perfectly. My only complaint (if you could even call it that ) is that the leather is a little too soft and does scratch easily. I have to always ride in breeches and keep it covered while being stored.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

That is one complaint! I'm not the nicest to my stuff so I've had to learn to be gentle. Even catching the edge of your finger nail or barely scuffing it with something will leave a small mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    That is one complaint! I'm not the nicest to my stuff so I've had to learn to be gentle. Even catching the edge of your finger nail or barely scuffing it with something will leave a small mark.
    Is this on the calf leather or any of the leathers they offer? This particular one is grain with a buffalo seat and knee rolls.

Buffalo is much hardier than the calf, and the grain ever more so. The calf you can just swipe your finger across and it looks like a scuff, lol.

LOVE mine. got it in full calfskin and it's a sticky couch My friends ride in my saddle and are so jealous! Get one!

LOVE mine; everyone in my barn says it's the best saddle they've ever ridden in (and most of them have the Devoucoux). My Antares "hugs" my seat and leg and gives me the most secure position. Bought it used 2 years ago and it's got plenty of life to it yet. Don't worry about little cosmetic scratches; they polish out with a good cleaning.

I love mine!! It's full calf, and though it does scratch easily, it's beautiful and I wouldn't trade it for any other saddle. I've had it for four years and it has fit all of the horses I've ever ridden - from ponies to junior hunters and beyond. Definitely worth the price, and just as nice used as new. Hold up and retain value great.

What I disliked about mine was that the tree broke twice (two different trees - original and first replacement tree) in less than three years for no reason at all and in light use on only one horse. The company is horrible to deal with. Also, it put me in a chair seat. The saddle was beautiful, expensive, and 100 percent the worst tack purchase I have ever made in my life.

2 members found this post helpful.

It was calfskin that scuffed easiest. I found my grain leather was actually a little soft also though. At least compared to other saddles I've used which are primarily Pessoa and Beval

My antares did not fit my horses well although their saddle fitter said it did, bucking issues stopped with a new saddle. I had to really fight to not to slide the back of the saddle, found the twist too narrow and never felt secure jumping. Perhaps a different fit/better saddle fitter might have solved the problem? I hated riding in the antares so I sold it and bought a county innovation which suits me and my horses better

Love my saddle. Mine is buffalo and grain leather. I've had it for almost 6 years now.. looks brand new.. Only complaint, the company is very difficult to deal with. I sent my saddle in to have my panels fit to my jumper.. months later still no saddle so I called the company and was informed that my saddle had been shipped to France because the tree was broken. After 6 months, I finally got my saddle back and they had put the wrong panels on it... Like I said, I have a buffalo leather saddle and they put calfskin panels on it.. I was too afraid to send it back because it had been gone so long the first time and I didn't have a loaner, so now I have a mismatched saddle, but oh well.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterHalter123 View Post
    Love my saddle. Mine is buffalo and grain leather. I've had it for almost 6 years now.. looks brand new.. Only complaint, the company is very difficult to deal with. I sent my saddle in to have my panels fit to my jumper.. months later still no saddle so I called the company and was informed that my saddle had been shipped to France because the tree was broken. After 6 months, I finally got my saddle back and they had put the wrong panels on it... Like I said, I have a buffalo leather saddle and they put calfskin panels on it.. I was too afraid to send it back because it had been gone so long the first time and I didn't have a loaner, so now I have a mismatched saddle, but oh well.
    Slightly askew - 6 months to replace a panel/broken tree (what explanation was offered on that one!)
    but
    only 2-3 months to construct a new saddle from... hmmm... the same components as are used in the repair service ...

When I was saddle shopping, quotes for panel replacement were 2-3 weeks + shipping, but stories such as yours made me v.e.r.y sceptical.

I absolutely adore my Antares. No complaints here

Love mine! It's calfskin. I've had it for about 8 yrs, ride in jeans and full chaps, and it still looks great. And I'm NOT good about cleaning it.

I bought a used Antares about a year ago and it's been my favorite saddle I've had a Tad Coffin and a Butet my Antares by far tops all others! I think it puts me in a great position to ride in. I sent it in for panel work and it was back within a month the customer service was excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Slightly askew - 6 months to replace a panel/broken tree (what explanation was offered on that one!)
    but
    only 2-3 months to construct a new saddle from... hmmm... the same components as are used in the repair service ...

When I was saddle shopping, quotes for panel replacement were 2-3 weeks + shipping, but stories such as yours made me v.e.r.y sceptical.
    Yeah, be afraid... That's what they told us as well about the panels.. If I remember correctly, I believe they ship it to New Jersey or something like that.. It was the fact that when we asked where the saddle was and they couldn't find it, and THEN they realized it had been shipped to France is what scares me. And then you have to deal with the factories closing because people in France (at least at Antares) take copious amounts of time off for the Holidays...
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the saddle, but the number of mistakes they made on mine makes me hesitant to ever send it in again should something go wrong.
    Last edited by AlterHalter123; Nov. 18, 2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling

I love the ones a ride in! Although they don't fit me well (17" long, straight flap & 17.5" short flap, and I need a 17" extra forward), they keep me in a great, secure position, and my legs are always in the right place! One is grain, and one is grain/buffalo I believe, and both are looking good.