The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default thinline pad questions

I am looking into buying a thinline pad for my horse. I like the looks of the contour pad (not the fleece one). But before I purchase it, I have some questions.

1) Does it fit with a dressage saddle, and a jump saddle?
    2) Are the half pad and contour pad relient on each other?

thanks guys.

I live in my thinline (with fleece, not that it matters). Every horse, every ride. I don't have enough good things to say about it.

My saddle fitter says it shouldn't alter the fit of any saddle. Great shock absorber for horse and human.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Default thinline pad questions

I am looking into buying a thinline pad for my horse. I like the looks of the contour pad (not the fleece one). But before I purchase it, I have some questions.

1) Does it fit with a dressage saddle, and a jump saddle?
    2) Are the half pad and contour pad relient on each other?

thanks guys.

1 members found this post helpful.

In which case, would it be cost effective for me to get the non fleece, or are there specific benefits to the halfpad?

I was going to post almost the exact same questions. Except I wanted to ask also what people thought of the Trifecta Pad?

I am a huge fan of the thinline and have actually taken the contour pad and cut it so it fits just inside of the Mattes pad that I use on a tb who goes in a saddle that is on the wide-side for him. The contour pad fits underneath all my jump and dressage saddles, even now that I've taken the scissors to it. I have both the regular and the ultra pads. Swear by them.

Love my thin line. I use the Ultra thin line half pad on top of just a regular quilted cotton pad for dressage. It gives protection but without the bulk of thicker pads. I tried thicker pads but felt like I was being lauched on the "up" moment of the trot.

I have a thinline halfpad that I use with both my dressage and jumping saddle. It fits equally well under both. My only gripe about it is how much work it takes to clean it up before a show.

I used to use the contour pad. Yes, it fits both saddles and no, you don't have to have a half pad. Mine lives in the trailer now though -- got out performed a hundred fold by my Ecogold half pad. But I did use the thinline for about 3 years with my older horse -- in retrospect, I don't think it did too much for him, although it did help my arthritic lower back a little.

I have the Trifecta and love it. I needed just a tiny bit of shim under my saddle as I have a young horse who is developing and the Trifecta is perfect....not a ton of fill like a big fluffy sheepskin, instead just enough with the excellent benefits of the Thinline. One of the most versatile half pads I've ever used, as I often find that a sheepskin is just too much.

I am with flypony74. Have the Trifecta and love it.

I have the Ultra Thinline Trifecta without the sheepskin for one of my horses and one with the full sheepskin and shims for the other.

I find it helps my tight backed Arab loosen up quite a bit. My other horse doesn't seem to mind either way, but I find it helps with the sitting trot.