The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wide Western Saddles for big shouldered Arabian?

I finally found an English saddle for Dani (aka Pork Chop). A 38 cm hoop tree Duett. I would like to find her a western saddle too. Just something simple, but leather.

I have read many websites about fit, and find it so confusing! It sounds like she needs really flat/short bars to accommodate her wide shoulders/flat back, but I saddle ads don't seem to advertise bar angles.

I was hoping to shop used, but have no idea where to start.

Any advice? Models to consider?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I have a 5 yr old, very wide shouldered QH, he outgrew my Tucker Wide saddle.

I HATE saddle shopping!! This time I went thru Steele Saddles, got a demo for 3 weeks, fit my horse great!! Guy was very good, asked for several pics more than what they list on their website, just to be sure it fit.

I ordered one, waiting for it w/baited breath. Made the whole saddle buying process easy

http://steelesaddle.com/demo-program/

Good Luck!
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

Check out the thread I started a couple weeks ago. Sounds like your arab is built like my morgan!

I'm still trying to find something that fits right, but I have one I'm borrowing from a friend that is closer than anything we've tried so far (not sure of brand but it's a draft bar saddle).

Good luck! Beefy shoulders and shorter backs are a beast to fit!!!
    Curious about Trans* issues? Feel free to ask!
    Saving Pennies To Get My Own Canoe

My Arabs and I love our crates trail saddle in fqhb/wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceylon Star View Post
    Check out the thread I started a couple weeks ago. Sounds like your arab is built like my morgan!

I'm still trying to find something that fits right, but I have one I'm borrowing from a friend that is closer than anything we've tried so far (not sure of brand but it's a draft bar saddle).

Good luck! Beefy shoulders and shorter backs are a beast to fit!!!
    The only saddles we could find that fit our old style Morgan had been made in the 1950s... we ended up having one made for her after her saddle was stolen.

I have tried a few different FQHB saddles on her, and they are just wrong. They perch on her shoulder with only a tiny point of contact.

Ceylon, I checked out your thread and downloaded the different gullet templates that one of the recommended links had, but none of them were right. The draft was close, but I think she needs shorter bars.

Has anyone tried a flex tree to fit a high shouldered horse?

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I have tried a few different FQHB saddles on her, and they are just wrong. They perch on her shoulder with only a tiny point of contact.

Ceylon, I checked out your thread and downloaded the different gullet templates that one of the recommended links had, but none of them were right. The draft was close, but I think she needs shorter bars.

Has anyone tried a flex tree to fit a high shouldered horse?
    CHT, I have a wide half arab who also goes in a 38 cm Duett. That saddle fits her great. I just ordered a Circle Y for her in an extra wide tree. I used their templates to measure her, and the xw was perfect. My mare is small, just under 14 hands, and I agree it's hard to find a good fitting saddle. I ordered the new saddle from horsesaddleshop.com, and they gave me some great recommendations. I ended up getting the "Cottonwood" saddle for my mare. I LOVE the Flex2 tree, and have two other saddles with that tree.

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/cotto...l#.VHISMIujOw0

1 members found this post helpful.

Where did you find the templates for the Circle Y?

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Where did you find the templates for the Circle Y?
    Sorry, it's at horsesaddleshop.com. I printed out the wide and xtra wide templates, taped them to manila file folders and cut them out, and used those to measure the mare. Although cardboard would have been better, it was very obvious that the wide was too narrow and the xwide was perfect. If you use a flimsy material to measure, don't do it outside in the wind! There is a button on the left of their homepage that says "Saddle and Tack School," full of good info, or just click this link http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/easy-...l#.VHMmNIujOw0.

I tried calling them at first, and had a hard time getting through, they were really busy. did an online chat and got great info, then called later and placed my order.

I second the Steel saddles. Only saddle that I can ride in without instant pain. I have 2 and they fit every horse we have owned or trained. The saddles allow for shoulder movement and have never made a horse sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    Sorry, it's at horsesaddleshop.com. I printed out the wide and xtra wide templates, taped them to manila file folders and cut them out, and used those to measure the mare. Although cardboard would have been better, it was very obvious that the wide was too narrow and the xwide was perfect. If you use a flimsy material to measure, don't do it outside in the wind! There is a button on the left of their homepage that says "Saddle and Tack School," full of good info, or just click this link http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/easy-...l#.VHMmNIujOw0.

I tried calling them at first, and had a hard time getting through, they were really busy. did an online chat and got great info, then called later and placed my order.
    None of those templates really fit her. The extra wide is closest, but it just touches her at one point rather than laying along her shoulder. I think she needs a narrower gullet and flatter/shorter bars?

You need something with flatter bars and flare at the shoulder to accommodate her wide shoulders.

I have a Martin, an older one, and it fit my arab perfectly. It has flatter bars, and excellent flare in the shoulder.

I don't have that arab anymore, and the arab I have now is very narrow with a higher wither...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Feel free to send me your saddle then

What about an Abetta wide with the flex tree? Nobody here seems to sell though, so I would be buying off the internet.

If she might still be growing I want to limit my investment. I don't want to have one built for an immature horse as I don't get the impression that western saddles are adjustable like English...

Lol it fits my QH otherwise I would be interested in selling
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I've got a Circle Y Lisa Lockhart Flex2 barrel racing saddle. Fits my wide QH great. Now, that saddle comes in a "regular" and a "wide". I have the WIDE version. I believe the angle of the bars is around 110 or 120. (Can't exactly remember.)

I know that they put the Flex2 tree in other circle Y saddles, if you don't want a barrel saddle. However, I had heard that they stopped making the WIDE version so you may want to check on that.

Another option is a Crates Meleta Brown saddle. She's great to work with and the saddles are a nice fit.
    http://thefreedomsaddle.com/
    It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

Have you tried anything marketed as an Arab tree?

The Arab tree saddle that I have was basically made to fit a propane tank. It is built quite a bit wider and flatter than a FQHB saddle, so they would probably work.

ETA: something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simco-Arab-A...item5b08a2f1c6

I was kind of looking at the Abetta Arabian Flex tree saddles. I don't want to spend a tonne until she is more mature and I know we will continue western.

That Simco might be worth looking into as well, thanks Becky!

I haven't found too many models that actually use an Arabian tree....the Circle Y Arabian saddles seem to be on a FQHB tree?!? and have way too much silver for me! I want simple and light for trail riding!

Quote Originally Posted by 2enduraceriders View Post
    I second the Steel saddles. Only saddle that I can ride in without instant pain. I have 2 and they fit every horse we have owned or trained. The saddles allow for shoulder movement and have never made a horse sore.
    Arent they amazing?!? My horse literally outgrew my Tucker Wide saddle, had white spots on both side of his withers.

I thought I would have a very hard time finding a saddle that fit.

The Steele saddle was their NORMAL tree, nothing special. It fit him perfect.

I LOVE the deep seat, found it VERY comfortable.

They are built a little like an English saddle, the weight is in the center and back, the front stabilizes the saddle, but doesn't push down on the withers.

My horse is downhill, yet w/the Steele, it sits me back, you cant even tell, no leaning forward at all.

I have three more weeks until my saddle is made. I am counting the minutes!!

I think it would be very unusual for a Steele not to fit a horse. They are amazing saddles
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!