The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default is icing useless after riding, if turned out after?

Hello.

My horse has arthritis of his LF knee. After I ride in the AM I usually Ice it for 20 mins then turn him out.

Is it useless since after he is just going to be walking (and whatever else he is going to do out there) anyway?

would be Icing it in the PM after he comes in and is in for the night better?

I need opinions on this.

Thanks !
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

Are you doing anything else for his arthritis other than icing? Icing is not high on the list of treatment options for arthritis because it's a chronic condition (whereas icing is indicated for a more acute injury to decrease possibility of further immediate injury). Additionally, light exercise typically helps "flush" residual inflammatory mediators from the synovial fluid (why arthritic horses seem to "warm out" of a lameness), so it's really probably doing him more good to have some light riding with turnout than it is to ice him.

Bute, steroid/HA joint injections and glucosamine/chondroitin nutraceuticals are more commonly indicated for a chronic OA condition. That being said, you're a good mom to ice his knee and I don't doubt it makes him feel a little better, but I highly doubt it makes a difference when you do it.

1 members found this post helpful.

sorry to not add more information to the first post He has been receiving Adequan for about 3 years and I am actually in the middle of giving another loading dose of it (2 shots out of 7 left). he also had his knee injected with Depo/Medrol and HA about 2 months ago.

along with the Adequan he is getting Recovery EQ as a supplement.

Your post was extremely informative and helpful! Thank You!
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

While I don't usually ice for arthritis (usually for feet, or soft tissue inflamation, or after a hard cross country school or competition) I almot ALWAYS turn out after icing.

Why would you think that turning out would not be a good idea?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    While I don't usually ice for arthritis (usually for feet, or soft tissue inflamation, or after a hard cross country school or competition) I almot ALWAYS turn out after icing.

Why would you think that turning out would not be a good idea?
    it is not that turning out isn't a good idea, I would never want my horse in when he could be out LOL.

I was just wondering if it would be better to ice it at night after he comes in, since he would kind of be "resting" it overnight by being in the stall, since when I ice it in the morning after my ride and turn him out he walks and might counteract the effect of icing the area by increasing blood flow by the walking LOL

I hope I explained it clearly.

the effect of the ice by moving around anyway after riding.

As a world-renowned expert on my own arthritis, I know that ice doesn't help it, but exercise does. Make of it what you will.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

2 members found this post helpful.

the consensus seems to be pretty clear! Thank you everyone. I believe I have some arthritis in my knees, when I think about it they are definitely the worst when they get cold!

I guess I figured I would Ice after riding just incase there is any active inflammation but I might stop and see how it goes now after reading all your posts and thinking about it.

So glad I posted this question! THANKS!

p.s anybody feel free to add more posts if wanted.

I understand (from my vets) tht ICING increases blood flow, as soon as you take the ice off and it starts to warm up.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

IMO, the best time to ice is before turning out. The ice will reduce pain and swelling which will encourage more movement and lead to less stiffness. I know this from icing my bad ankle before work vs. after work
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

If there is active inflammation, ice is probably beneficial no matter the timing. I generally only ice after hard work and focus mainly on horses with a history of any sort of soft tissue issues, but I can't think of a reason why icing before turnout would be in any way detrimental or would negate the benefits of icing.
    Click here before you buy.

If there is any heat/swelling due to arthritis a sweat would be beneficial. You can use Furazone but my favotie is ButeCort (Dr. Harthills) if you can still get it. You also might want to look into getting some Surpass from your vet for the inbetween injection times.