The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I don't think the choice of the lesser of two evils (southern confederate rednecks vs potheads) is much of a way to plan your life. Potheads will kill you just as dead on the highway, trying to figure out whether they should be driving or texting, head down at 70mph, nevermind trying to find someone who can think and talk at the same time.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

I have lived in areas that I didn't like. It sucks. Just after I got married we moved back east to a state with a big horse reputation. Un fortunately for me this part of the state was behind in just about everything; education, the were starting things that had been on going in CO for years; dressage, the horses were ridden hollow, with croup up and back down, poor farriers, I did manage to find a good vet. Just before we left I found an incredible coach! Many years later we went back to that state. There it was.... Horse heaven! It was in a different area of the same state. It was a very different culture all the way around. Colorado is much the same; there are outstanding riders , trainers and horses but they are in pockets. Example: I have the pleasure of riding with Janet Foy.

Hang in there rust breeches ! I do feel your pain!

Based on the coordinates given, Rustbreeches is in or east of Greeley, otherwise known as the armpit of Colorado. I think I would hate it there, too.

1 members found this post helpful.

When people say that the eastern half of the state is like the great plains it's not like the great plains, It Is the Great Plains. The Great Plains geological province ends when it meets the mountains in Colorado. Denver and Colorado Springs are actually in the GPs, they're just ridiculously close to the mountains too.

Colorado has that flat, flat, ugly in the east, giant gorgeous mountains in the middle, and Colorado Plateau desert in the west. I live in the desert part, but I can be up in the mountains at 10,000 feet in an hour.

Well, I love the windswept plains. *Certainly* don't think they are ugly; very beautiful, IMHO. A lot of it isn't flat as a pancake, either. No, it isn't mountainous, but it is undulating in some areas. In parts you can see forever. Love all of CO.

Course I'm not much of a beach person, so different strokes and all that.
    Last edited by harvestmoon; Nov. 23, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by WideSquareAlter View Post
    Wow folks! THANK EVERYONE!! I will be sending out many pm's this weekend, hoping to chat with you all that offered up some help/direction Ideally, I would like to allow the kids to finish up the school year here since they've gone to the same school system their whole lives. We will probably pick a hotel in the Parker area for spring break, but we DRIVE a LOT, so will be personally checking out many of the areas you guys have recommended. The only real area I'm not interested in is the flat/plains area. I've driven through Kansas/Nebraska and it is NOT my cup of tea!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    Whoa, whoa there partner. In January '94 we moved to eastern Kansas, to a rural area south of KC. The terrain here south of I-70 is like central Virginia- Culpeper and Charlottesville. The biggest difference is the types of trees and the fact that they aren't as tall out here. I've fox hunted in those Flinthills near I-70 a few times and those rolling hills reach up and snag the wind out of your horse. Flat land is found in Ohio.

Prior to moving here I contacted three school districts for test scores to compare to my daughters South Carolina elementary schools that were pumped full of federal education dollars. Hands down the test scores in rural KS were higher than our district in Charleston County.

As for the horse scene, we have successful national level riders in a half a dozen disciplines within 60 miles of where I live- from reining, roping, dressage, eventing and hunters. 2 fox hunting clubs fill that need and then there is whole trail riding group that camps all over the place between KS & MO.

This ain't Dorothy's Kansas...well we do get tornado's but the snow melts. IOW, it's not on the ground all winter.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    I don't think the choice of the lesser of two evils (southern confederate rednecks vs potheads) is much of a way to plan your life. Potheads will kill you just as dead on the highway, trying to figure out whether they should be driving or texting, head down at 70mph, nevermind trying to find someone who can think and talk at the same time.
    For whatever its worth, I live in the Emerald Triangle and though pot creates problems, it's mostly along the lines of uninspected electrical starting fires, water theft, and improper use of nasty herbicides and pesticides. DWI with pot does not seem to be a problem for our local law enforcement, perhaps either because people who are stoned drive realllllly slow or because they're too lazy to get in the car. It's alcohol that typically makes people aggressive and dangerous.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yes, parts of Eastern Colorado are beautiful -- just in a different way. SE Colorado has the Arkansas River and wonderful historical sites, like Bent's Old Fort, which was right on the border of Mexico back in the 1830's. The guides at Bent's Fort are usually dressed in period garb and will entertain and enlighten you with tales of life on the Santa Fe Trail. I go back to the Fort every time I visit SE Colorado.

My great-grandparents lived for a while in Boggsville, the first permanent white township in Colorado. Kit Carson and his beautiful wife Josefa spent their last days there.

The region features lots of Mountain Man reenactments, the Koshare Indian Museum puts on displays of American Indian dances and ceremonies in their "kiva" every summer and Las Animas puts on the "Santa Fe Trail Days" annually.

The horrible Sand Creek Massacre site is close by. The sites of homesteads that failed in the Dust Bowl days dot the landscape. We have deer, antelope, bobcat, fox, coyote, all sorts of raptors, water birds, badgers and those varmint prairie dogs.

Beauty is everywhere if you know how to look!

Hey, Greeley's not so bad, once you get past the smell. (It was worse when I went to the University, I swear!)

Hey, lilitiger2, I recently stayed a night at the historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM, and fell in LOVE with that town! I must go back some time to explore it further.

Yes, WSA, northern New Mexico is worth a look! Visit Trinidad before you go over Raton Pass!

I don't necessarily love the beach either, moved here because I felt that my widowed father would benefit from having myself and my daughter in his life for his end years...

My dream is to move back to central Indiana where I grew up - go figure. Not many people long for that, but it is home.

Colorado is a state that I moved to in my mid twenties. Everyone in Indiana at that time seemed to want to get out of Indiana. It is a great state with lots to offer, and I do NOT consider it a marijuana culture. I would stack my nephews' and niece's education up against what any state in the South has to offer. Again, just my opinion. I would not discourage anyone from moving to Colorado.

I would certainly not try to convince anyone not to take a chance on the West. There must be a reason everyone in this country kept pushing westward.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    To anyone coming to Montana to visit or live...welcome! It is truly a great state. Inmy neck of the woods (upper NW corner) July and August are the real "money months"-lovely weather, scenery that rivals the Alps, fishing, rafting, hiking, riding...whatever, its glorious! (and very hard to work indoors!!).
    the biggest thing going on economically is the oil activity over on the east side..crazy development, but it has syphoned off a good many workers so in some places they actually ARE hiring.

Anyway, Heart of Glass, you are welcome to PM me if you want any info! And Sannois, we DO consider it God's country, come on out and see it! Take one of the red jammer trucks over Going to the Sun road across Glacier Park...really really pretty!
    I plan on making it one of my first stops when I buy my RV next summer. I may pick your brain for places to go.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

My husband and I lived in Golden for a couple of years after moving from the east coast. While possibly not apparent to those that have always lived in Colorado, we found the people to be much more conservative and closed-minded in our area. There was lots of racism and homophobia compared to our part of the east coast. In areas like Boulder, this was not the case at all. The sections of Colorado can be vastly different as far as mentalities go. We ended up moving back to the east coast and this issue was one of the larger factors for doing so other than difficulty getting decent jobs. I am not saying all of Colorado is this way, but we saw lots of it and it made us very uncomfortable. We also moved from one of the more liberal areas of the country, so it might have just been by comparison that it bothered us so.

Quote Originally Posted by OceansAway View Post
    ...There was lots of racism and homophobia compared to our part of the east coast. In areas like Boulder, this was not the case at all...
    I am glad to say your experience is quite dated. Even the high school has an LBGT club. C. Springs is the ultra-conservative area (e.g. head quarters for Focus on the Family etc.). Golden is pretty liberal nowadays.

Late to the party, but let me just say that my family (husband, teenage daughter, and assorted pets) moved to the Denver area 3 winters ago from Houston. Hubby worked for NASA in Houston and transferred here to work for Lockheed.

What can I say? I LOVE it here! You would have to drag me back to Texas kicking, screaming and bloody!!! WONDERFUL climate (granted I'm still a little giddy about this whole "seasons" thing) and abundant wildlife (even in Denver!!). I came. I saw. I drank the cool aid

Do your homework and I do recommend renting. Gives you a chance to "try things on" so to speak. Don't let anyone tell you that "you don't need A/C in Denver" Having moved from South of Houston, I felt pretty qualified to judge "heat" and while it cools down at night here, it can get wicked hot without A/C in Denver!! I'm still not complaining though. My horse can stand in a stall on the hottest day without a fan and she has nary a drop of sweat on her anywhere because the shade works here...that...and the drier climate.

We ended up at the top of a small mountain (9024 feet) in a great community with well rated schools. We do have to drive a bit for some things (I cook at home more now) and grass turnout for the horse was tantamount to looking for the holy grail, but we've all made it and I'm NEVER leaving!!! I LOVE Colorado. The beauty here never ceases to amaze me. The snow is not that bad and they take excellent care of the roads when the weather does hit.

Yes, it can be windy, in some areas more than others. For me it's a trade-off I'm willing to make. No man eating cockroaches! Very few bugs! No hurricanes!

FWIW coming from Texas I find the entire state MUCH more liberal. Yes the Springs is pretty conservative, but overall more liberal in feel. My Mom lives is Estes Park, so I go to Boulder and I had the horse boarded in the Golden area for the last year (even met RAyers once!!) and overall, the general "feel" seems more liberal to me in all those areas.

Good luck!
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Thank you for your input! DH and I are beginning to purge; listing many things we don't need anymore on ebay. I'm starting to slowly clean out the closet/kitchen/etc. We are for sure moving in July, I'm a little terrified about it! We haven't told ANYONE yet.

After extensively researching/job searching I think we're actually leaning more towards northern California now. Amazingly, it's more affordable than the areas in Colorado we were looking at, and water/drought isn't an issue. We have a big trip out west planned for Spring Break to do some fact finding because nothing is set in stone other than the fact that we're out of here.

I really value all of the advice I've received here, thanks again!

Going to stick my $.02 in, as a former big rig driver who drove through Denver every which way so many times I can't count them, the thing for me would be the traffic. Speeders everywhere, it got to the point where the cops were sitting on the side of the interstate and just snagging people right and left. So, when the sign goes from 70 to 55, that's what it means!! I-25N can be pretty interesting drive wise. The mountains to the west are the PITA because the skiers want to get to Vail and think they can run everyone off the road, such is their hurry. Going east, I have relatives who live in a little town out there, in the plains areas. All I can say is every time we went through, the wind was blowing. Not just a whiff, BLOWING. Reminded me of West Texas, which I despise.

The people are nice. I did have a run-in at a customers' because it was a cold/rainy day and one of the employees had his dog in the back of his pickup, getting rained on. I did something I've never done, after asking the guy nicely to shelter his dog and getting a big blow-off, I took pictures and sent them to the Humane Society (I think it was) with the location. I might have sent them to the police department too. Other than that, everyone has always be nice and polite.

But, if you want bee-you-ti-ful country and good folks, try Oregon!! We have 4 distinct seasons and fabulous views!! For a bit of driving, we're close to just about everything you have your heart set on.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    East? No, for sure. Windy. Desolate. Nope! But that is not the whole state!

H of G- wintering in an RV up here is not the easiest way to go so I hope you get your dream job! Mssla is the liberal spot in the state! tons of coffee shops and festivals (the testicle festival!!). As far as horse property, you are in the pricey Bitterroot Valley area which has very much been "discovered", but you might find straight land. if you are heading west on I-90 you'll go over Bozeman pass and the one outside Butte that I can't remember. If you are towing you'll feel it.
    Thanks for the information!

I didn't get the job, but that's ok. We've been living in the RV for about 3 weeks now, and I really like it. The RV park is right on the Yellowstone river in Billings, so we take the dogs for walks on the river every day. I don't know why, but low temperatures really don't feel as cold here as they did back home.

We have a couple of possibilities for places to live with acreage; hopefully something will work out. If not, no worries, I have plenty of $ saved up (at least 2 years salary) and I feel like we could live in the RV for a while, or rent a place if we have to. I'm sure we'll find something eventually.

The horses are boarded, of course, and they are doing fine also. Though I wouldn't want to leave them there long term. Not enough turnout for my taste.

Just thought I'd update; we're doing it! However, after VERY extensive job/housing/weather research, it will not be Colorado we move to. It's California! Holy cow, I get butterflies just typing it all out.

We are selling everything that's not nailed down. I've already purged my closet and my kitchen, and we've thrown away bags and bags of stuff. It's exciting, terrifying, and intense. Target move date is end of June. Already gotten quotes for shipping horsies across the country (HOLY COW!), and researching schools like crazy.

The area we're going to move to is north of Sacramento but probably south of Redding. I will put updates out there as we make decisions; not quite ready to 'out' myself yet, there's still time to change things obviously. In my mind, I'm 98% sure we're going. It will be after our little "fact finding" trip end of March that I turn to 110%

Sounds like an adventure! Good luck to you!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

WSA, I have a lot of friends and family that live in the area you are moving to. None of them are horsey, but I know there are some GREAT facilities that are in that general area. Good luck!