The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I was considering the "Front Range" basically from Pueblo to Fort C and RAyers your post was right on! Of course, "Colorado" is pretty darn diverse -Sterling is NOT like Steamboat! The Front Range, IMO, is pretty much the urban, suburbia environment with all that comes with that-good and frustrating. Personally, I do not like heading "east" from the front range (tornados!! Greeley!! ) but do like the western slope and southwestern (Pagosa Springs)- and the range of central mountain small towns-Delta, Montrose, Paonia NOT in the front range corridor. THese for sure offer a rural lifestyle, small town experience (but, being colorado, likely pricey). I like Grand Junction as well, but all the various regions of CO have a definite "culture" to them that you either will like or not-sure CS has a rep for being more conservative (so is Fort C and lariimer county) and obviously the Republic of Boulder has a different "ambiance" but beyond that, each community really has its own feel-truly a road trip around the state is a wonderful experience (heading west that is, not east!). Have fun exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    ...... obviously the Republic of Boulder has a different "ambiance" .....

LOVE it!!! :lol

sure CS has a rep for being more conservative (so is Fort C and lariimer county)
    Colo Springs and Fort Collins are WORLDS apart on the conservative/liberal issue. We're not Boulder up here, but we are far, far more liberal than the Springs. We even voted for Obama in both elections (something that surprised me, honestly, but does speak to a change in the environment.)

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Colo Springs and Fort Collins are WORLDS apart on the conservative/liberal issue. We're not Boulder up here, but we are far, far more liberal than the Springs. We even voted for Obama in both elections (something that surprised me, honestly, but does speak to a change in the environment.)
    Sure, Fort C is not quite CS but nonetheless home to Marilyn Musgrave and a bunch of other serious social conservatives. Not knocking that, but as a community, that area tends to be more conservative than Boulder for sure but alsothan the Denver Metro area. The demographic is likely changing a little as the community moves from its more ag roots.I guess I would no longer recognize it from what people tell me-the sprawl has just overtaken it. Hope its not as bad as its made out to be!

Sorry, probably not remembering all the details about Marilyn correctly, going on hearsay only so I will defer to your more current knowledge of local politics!! When I was there, it was maybe not the Springs but socially, very conservative.

You guys are amazing! Thanks SO much for the info, both good and bad. I'm going to be honest ... I'm thinking that come June we're outta here. DH and I have been talking more and more seriously, and I've been taking all the information here to heart.

I doubt anything will come of it ... but I applied for a job in Colorado Springs! OMG! Gotta start somewhere, right? Colorado just seems right for now. Once we're actually OUT on the west coast, we may ultimately end up in AZ or NM once the kids are out of school, but for the immediate future, CO feels right.

Thanks for the encouragement! Scared spitless right now, but finally feel HOPEFUL again.

2 members found this post helpful.

Or you could have a REAL adventure and come to Montana! We have this http://www.rebeccafarm.org/Home which creates its own H/J, eventing community (not a part of that community but they are hugely publicized and BAck Country Horsemen, where I am a member,volunteers at a lot of their events). We have good schools, decent medical care, lots of land to ride on! No big traffic problems (yay!) It is a community you need to line up employment before you get here as basic labor jobs are in short supply! But...a wonderful place to live!

Greeley...the smell alone.....no. I remember driving through there on my way back from Kersey one summer day and wow....I bet land is cheaper there but there is a good reason for it! On the I-25 question, it actually was a big consideration for me when deciding if I wanted to stay in the area, that while sure, from Fort C (a nice, kind of whitebread, pleasant place to live) to a little north of Denver, Thornton usually, it wasn't USUALLY too bad, but its only two laned each direction and badly overused, so any tiny hiccup, a flat tire, a fender bender of any kind, a slow car even, and you will be parked. For hours. Was stuck for THREE HOURS hauling my horses up from ABQ north of Denver. Which is why the western slope is so attractive! My theory is that life is too short to spend in traffic!!!

But, front range, while being pricey, does have things to recommend it-a good airport (controversial one, though!!) that makes it easy to get in and out, lots of stuff to do, fabulous scenery, good universities so interesting people attracted there, really good hospitals. Still hope you get to do a road trip (and really, don't rule out Montana! lots of people reinvent themselves there!!!)
    I have never been to Montana, But if I had the nerve at my age, I would bag it all and move there,Kalispell, Helena, Anywhere, Truly Gods country!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

My daughter and I are moving to Montana in early December due to divorce. I can hardly believe that we are really doing it! Speaking of reinventing ourselves, that's pretty much the story. We did visit in September and fell in love with the state. I have been putting in lots of job applications, but also have enough in savings to support us for a good while and hopefully start a new life.

We ride western, and I'm hoping to take driving lessons. We'll be living in an RV until we figure out where we are going to live permanently (horses will be boarded and furniture will be stored). It should be quite an adventure!

Or you could have a REAL adventure and come to Montana! We have this http://www.rebeccafarm.org/Home which creates its own H/J, eventing community (not a part of that community but they are hugely publicized and BAck Country Horsemen, where I am a member,volunteers at a lot of their events). We have good schools, decent medical care, lots of land to ride on! No big traffic problems (yay!) It is a community you need to line up employment before you get here as basic labor jobs are in short supply! But...a wonderful place to live!

Greeley...the smell alone.....no. I remember driving through there on my way back from Kersey one summer day and wow....I bet land is cheaper there but there is a good reason for it! On the I-25 question, it actually was a big consideration for me when deciding if I wanted to stay in the area, that while sure, from Fort C (a nice, kind of whitebread, pleasant place to live) to a little north of Denver, Thornton usually, it wasn't USUALLY too bad, but its only two laned each direction and badly overused, so any tiny hiccup, a flat tire, a fender bender of any kind, a slow car even, and you will be parked. For hours. Was stuck for THREE HOURS hauling my horses up from ABQ north of Denver. Which is why the western slope is so attractive! My theory is that life is too short to spend in traffic!!!

But, front range, while being pricey, does have things to recommend it-a good airport (controversial one, though!!) that makes it easy to get in and out, lots of stuff to do, fabulous scenery, good universities so interesting people attracted there, really good hospitals. Still hope you get to do a road trip (and really, don't rule out Montana! lots of people reinvent themselves there!!!)

To anyone coming to Montana to visit or live...welcome! It is truly a great state. Inmy neck of the woods (upper NW corner) July and August are the real "money months"-lovely weather, scenery that rivals the Alps, fishing, rafting, hiking, riding...whatever, its glorious! (and very hard to work indoors!!).
    the biggest thing going on economically is the oil activity over on the east side..crazy development, but it has syphoned off a good many workers so in some places they actually ARE hiring.

Anyway, Heart of Glass, you are welcome to PM me if you want any info! And Sannois, we DO consider it God's country, come on out and see it! Take one of the red jammer trucks over Going to the Sun road across Glacier Park...really really pretty!

OP, like you and your DH, I also live on the East coast (have my entire life) and am just dying to get the hell out of here.

And like you, I've had my sights (and heart) set on CO for some time now.

I visited for a weekend this past summer, and I've never been the same!!! I absolutely loved the atmosphere, the weather, the scenery, the PEOPLE (everyone I met was just incredible, they were the exact opposite of who you meet in DC; which I was over the moon about)- and I can't get the thought of moving out there off my mind.

However, I have been looking for jobs out there (I'm a govt ee right now and would prefer to keep it that way), and have been having a hard time finding anything that I would qualify for; or that would pay me enough to justify leaving where I am now (I make DC money, but pay a middle-of-nowhere mortgage- totally lucked out on that one!).

It's a tough decision in so many ways, yet one that makes so much sense in others. I *thoroughly* agree with those who are encouraging you and DH to have jobs secured before moving to the area, especially since there are kids and a horse involved.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you guys; definitely keep us posted on what you end up doing and where you end up going... I'll be living vicariously through you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

I lived in Colorado for 4 years when I was a kid. It was magnificent and I miss the scenery a lot (although I do think that the vision I have of colorado is the romanticised version as seen through an 8-9 year olds eyes).

I also pretty much dropped everything a year and a half ago and relocated from Chicago to south Florida. I needed a change desperately - I felt "stuck" in my job, in my house, in a rut with my friends, etc. Best decision I've ever made. Hardest decision I've ever made, but the best for sure.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Colorado is delightful.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

To anyone coming to Montana to visit or live...welcome! It is truly a great state. Inmy neck of the woods (upper NW corner) July and August are the real "money months"-lovely weather, scenery that rivals the Alps, fishing, rafting, hiking, riding...whatever, its glorious! (and very hard to work indoors!!).
    the biggest thing going on economically is the oil activity over on the east side..crazy development, but it has syphoned off a good many workers so in some places they actually ARE hiring.

Anyway, Heart of Glass, you are welcome to PM me if you want any info! And Sannois, we DO consider it God's country, come on out and see it! Take one of the red jammer trucks over Going to the Sun road across Glacier Park...really really pretty!
    We live closer to each other than I remembered-I'm just a little more N and W (and much more remote) in Montana than you are!

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofGlass View Post
    My daughter and I are moving to Montana in early December due to divorce. I can hardly believe that we are really doing it! Speaking of reinventing ourselves, that's pretty much the story. We did visit in September and fell in love with the state. I have been putting in lots of job applications, but also have enough in savings to support us for a good while and hopefully start a new life.

We ride western, and I'm hoping to take driving lessons. We'll be living in an RV until we figure out where we are going to live permanently (horses will be boarded and furniture will be stored). It should be quite an adventure!
    Welcome! You're doing it the hard way, living in the RV in the winter!

Sure, Fort C is not quite CS but nonetheless home to Marilyn Musgrave and a bunch of other serious social conservatives.
    Musgrave lost in 2008.

Musgrave lost in 2008.
    so.....who is the rep now? Is it Cory? I'm thinking on the conservative end of things.....

so.....who is the rep now? Is it Cory? I'm thinking on the conservative end of things.....
    Cory Gardner. Betsy Markey served in between, and beat Musgrave soundly.

Still, saying that Fort Collins and the Springs are on the same footing is really far from the truth. There is absolutely no way I could live in the Springs--I even dislike visiting. I find the conservative atmosphere terribly oppressive (although I do like the outlying areas, like Manitou Springs.) Fort Collins is far more liberal and tolerant.

Cory Gardner. Betsy Markey served in between, and beat Musgrave soundly.

Still, saying that Fort Collins and the Springs are on the same footing is really far from the truth. There is absolutely no way I could live in the Springs--I even dislike visiting. I find the conservative atmosphere terribly oppressive (although I do like the outlying areas, like Manitou Springs.) Fort Collins is far more liberal and tolerant.
    I don't recall saying that CS and Fort C were exactly alike, but they do have a rep for being on the more conservative side. And not making any judgement call about that, but if I was looking for a very hip, progressive, ethically diverse community, Fort C would likely not be at the top of my list (and I live in Montana, which outside of possibly Missoula does not have any of those!). So even though it has a university, like Boulder, it has a whole different feel,or it did to me. When I was looking at grad schools people told me the same thing.

But, heading east over to Eaton to go dance at a tiny little dive bar called Bruce's certainly makes up for any possible shortcoming Fort Collins may have !!! Danced quite a bit at the Sundance as well (and the white buffalo in Loveland) but Bruces was the best!

Just helps give information, others can determine how important it is-places to ride? check. Places to board? check. affordable housing (kind of, mostly) check. Ethnically diverse community? not so much. Arts scene? yeah, but not like Denver or Boulder. Walking trails? check. Accessible to good skiing? compared to Kansas City? yes, compared to other CO towns? no. I have no idea what someone's priorities are,I''m just having fun thinking of Fort C and all my travels around the state.

WhenI was there I lived in a divey little spot, had a fabulous boarding barn, horses lived much better than me, purposely did not buy i Fort Collins and instead bought a dirtbag condo in Steamboat because I liked the community better (still do but certainly cant' afford to live there!)

We don't get out much. We're looking for NOT the east coast, breathtaking mountain scenery, lots of open spaces to hike/ride ATV's in/ride horses. We're not art/wine/food aficionados. We don't go do art galleries, or the opera or the symphony ... we're home bodies which is why we're so tired of where we're at. We tend to keep to ourselves!

My only ... concern at this point I guess is the ponies. I keep them at a real DIY/backyard kind of place now, so hoping to find a similar place in CO.

Again, THANK EVERYONE for all the info, just taking it all in.

Cooooooome to Montana!!
    There is decent boarding in Fort Collins, I was at a wonderful wonderful coop facility, but if you come for a visit check them out!

And, if you do broaden your geographic search a tiny bit, you may find you get all that in a smaller place (las vegas nm), on the freeway, so easy to get in and out, lovely scenery, a university, and quite probably, much, MUCH cheaper.

We're going to be coming out first week in April! We were going to be vacationing in the Washington state area, but since we've decided that we ARE going to relocate, fact finding will be a more productive use of our time/$$!

For some reason DH is a little scared of MT; he's afraid it's going to be TOO cold lol. I'm TOTALLY open to it, especially in the vicinity of Rebecca Farm. I have to convince him to venture up when we head out that way over Spring Break