The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hello all,

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. I cannot speak for my fellow Board of Directors but I can assure you that I will vote for who I think is the best nominee to lead all 42K of us forward as I am sure they will as well.

It has been an unfortunate turn of events for sure. I am hopeful that we will learn from this and become more united in the long run.

Now... get away from your computers and go spend time with your family and eat some Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Skip Thornbury
    USHJA Treasurer

5 members found this post helpful.

Skip, thanks for taking the time to post here.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Quote Originally Posted by skipght View Post
    Hello all,

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. I cannot speak for my fellow Board of Directors but I can assure you that I will vote for who I think is the best nominee to lead all 42K of us forward as I am sure they will as well.

It has been an unfortunate turn of events for sure. I am hopeful that we will learn from this and become more united in the long run.

Now... get away from your computers and go spend time with your family and eat some Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Skip Thornbury
    USHJA Treasurer
    That sounds positive! It is very nice that you have taken the time to address the concerns of the people who post here. Thank you!

Thanks Skip!!

Bumping....

Interview with USHJA CEO Shelby French
    Story Via: Elisabeth Prouty-Gilbride

The 2012 United States Presidential election may be over, but for the United States Hunter Jumper Association (USHJA), things are just starting to heat up, as Bill Moroney and Mary Babick challenge one another for the position of President. The election is just days away, set to take place December 4 at the association’s Annual Meeting in Miami. We sat down with USHJA CEO Shelby French, who was candid in answering our questions about the association’s new governance, how it has affected the election process, what some of the glitches have been along the way, and how the board can address these problems and change them in the coming years.

Read full interview here:
    http://www.equinejournal.com/compone...-shelby-french

I got several responses to my email, with the exception of Mary Babick's all were very neutral spouting the usual "you can be sure I will do what is best" crap, so phony and insincere IMO.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I got several responses to my email, with the exception of Mary Babick's all were very neutral spouting the usual "you can be sure I will do what is best" crap, so phony and insincere IMO.
    I think this captures the meat of most of the responses I have seen. It would be nice if the responses at least acknowledged the legitimate concerns being raised and noted that the input of members does matter in the decision making process.

I think it is pretty telling that only about 9% of the membership even think it important enough to vote at the zone level. Certainly sends a message to USHJA that the vast majority of members don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    Interview with USHJA CEO Shelby French
    Story Via: Elisabeth Prouty-Gilbride

The 2012 United States Presidential election may be over, but for the United States Hunter Jumper Association (USHJA), things are just starting to heat up, as Bill Moroney and Mary Babick challenge one another for the position of President. The election is just days away, set to take place December 4 at the association’s Annual Meeting in Miami. We sat down with USHJA CEO Shelby French, who was candid in answering our questions about the association’s new governance, how it has affected the election process, what some of the glitches have been along the way, and how the board can address these problems and change them in the coming years.

Read full interview here:
    http://www.equinejournal.com/compone...-shelby-french

Would it be worth it for me to actually write all these people if most of them seem to be sending out basically the same "I'll do what I think is best, thanks for the interest" thing? I'm totally willing to do it if it will actually help. Are there certain people that would be most beneficial to write to? I'm a junior so I can't vote at the zone level (at least I don't think I can...) otherwise I'd do that too.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Ginger, I always think it's a good idea to write. How can we expect the BOD of directors to vote in a way that represents the membership, if they don't know how we feel? I sent out a note to all my clients who are members (juniors, too) urging them to contact the board with their thoughts on the matter. No matter who you support, it's hugely important that the wishes of the membership be known!

Yes, write them. It does not matter if they write back with music to our ears, assuredly if they are receiving dozens or hundreds of these emails such customized responses cannot be expected. They need to know we DO care, as given voting percentages and other lackadaisical member interests, they are almost forced to conclude that we don't.

I just spent last weekend with Mary at the HQC Finals & EAP Training session. I can think of no one better for the sport at this crucial moment. She has made herself available to every member and every cause. She is passionate about progressing the industry in a more inclusive manner. We cannot afford to neglect this concept for another 4 years in the current economic state.

My letter:
    Dear USHJA Board of Directors,

I am writing to voice my support for Mary Babick as President of the United States Hunter Jumper Association. Mary Babick has repeatedly demonstrated an interest in the broader base of this sport. As a USHJA member, I am concerned with the organization's focus on uppermost incomes rather than uppermost, or potentially uppermost, talent. As ever increasing costs thwart our ability to seek and develop new riders/owners, we would be wise to diversify with more affordable opportunities for the competitive equestrian. I believe Mary Babick will work tirelessly to expand the Hunter-Jumper sport to as many riders as possible, thereby ensuring a strong and competitive future for our industry and our international teams.

As a dues paying member of the United States Hunter Jumper Association I ask you to speak on my behalf and vote to elect Mary Babick as USHJA President on December 4th.

Thank you for your consideration and for your service to our wonderful sport.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    I think it is pretty telling that only about 9% of the membership even think it important enough to vote at the zone level. Certainly sends a message to USHJA that the vast majority of members don't really care.
    I would have voted, but never received an email or information in the mail. They *do* have my email, as I just received an email invitation to the zone baquet...

I find it completely absurd that, per the interview, the board nominates and votes on the new board. At a minimum, the board should be elected by the membership, particularly if they are selecting officers. What a completely screwed-up organization.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    I would have voted, but never received an email or information in the mail. They *do* have my email, as I just received an email invitation to the zone baquet...

I find it completely absurd that, per the interview, the board nominates and votes on the new board. At a minimum, the board should be elected by the membership, particularly if they are selecting officers. What a completely screwed-up organization.
    In fairness, we must remember that USHJA was created from scratch when it was spun off from the old AHSA. Those were turbulent times (they make this era seem tame) and it was a huge undertaking to emerge from them with anything resembling a coherent organization, let alone a democratic one. Not to mention one charged with managing 'a number of' national aspects of an international discipline and 'most; aspects of H/EQ which are quite different in format, with substantial, but not by any means complete crossover in participation levels between the three.

As someone who has been in on the process for other organizations, bylaws are not easy to write, and a group needs to reach a certain stage prior to much democracy being introduced, or it's an invitation to chaos. Sometimes chaos is the result even with a strong structure and good intentions.

I think that the format for electing Zone officers predates the USHJA, as the Zones are holdover structures from AHSA days. I think the USEF Zone committees are now derived via the disciplines which have their own Zone committees operating within each of their discipline group structures (as for instance our Zone Hunter and Jumper Committees operate within USHJA). It's a subject that any who are interested in researching can find answers on by examining the bylaws and rules of not only the USHJA, but also the USEF.

Things are evolving (slowly) and its important to speak up if you want any influence over the shape of things to come, as there is no shortage (among the 9% who voted, and an even smaller % who actually do the managing) of strong personalities who are well equipped to make their voices seem like they are the only ones speaking.

The most important thing is to speak up when the opportunity arises (whether you were among the 9% or not) and in the future to pay attention to all those USHJA emails that land in your inboxes, ie take the time and make it your business to read them through!

If you haven't been seeing any, check your Spam box, and change your email preferences to indicate they aren't junk!
    Last edited by M. O'Connor; Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    In fairness, we must remember that USHJA was created from scratch when it was spun off from the old AHSA. Those were turbulent times (they make this era seem tame) and it was a huge undertaking to emerge from them with anything resembling a coherent organization, let alone a democratic one. Not to mention one charged with managing 'a number of' national aspects of an international discipline and 'most; aspects of H/EQ which are quite different in format, with substantial, but not by any means complete crossover in participation levels between the three.

As someone who has been in on the process for other organizations, bylaws are not easy to write, and a group needs to reach a certain stage prior to much democracy being introduced, or it's an invitation to chaos. Sometimes chaos is the result even with a strong structure and good intentions.

I think that the format for electing Zone officers predates the USHJA, as the Zones are holdover structures from AHSA days. I think the USEF Zone committees are now derived via the disciplines which have their own Zone committees operating within each of their discipline group structures (as for instance our Zone Hunter and Jumper Committees operate within USHJA). It's a subject that any who are interested in researching can find answers on by examining the bylaws and rules of not only the USHJA, but also the USEF.

Things are evolving (slowly) and its important to speak up if you want any influence over the shape of things to come, as there is no shortage (among the 9% who voted, and an even smaller % who actually do the managing) of strong personalities who are well equipped to make their voices seem like they are the only ones speaking.

The most important thing is to speak up when the opportunity arises (whether you were among the 9% or not) and in the future to pay attention to all those USHJA emails that land in your inboxes, ie take the time and make it your business to read them through!

If you haven't been seeing any, check your Spam box, and change your email preferences to indicate they aren't junk!
    This ^^^ Email is not always perfect. Though I can attest that I have not had any problems with USHJA emails.

Individuals that really want to have a part in shaping/influencing the association make it their business to know what is going on and when.