The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

it does (in theory) provide a link to the "entire slate":

The following candidates will be included on the ballot in addition to those already on the
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

OK, that's just annoying - it ate everything after the phrase "on the original slate" (which also disappeared from my post as well as JustJump's post). Good thing I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

The rest of my original post:

... and that link is broken, which would lead you to think Bill Moroney was the only candidate unless you had been following the issue.

The reason I found it was to see if there was anything written on the site that laid out each candidate's "vision" for the organization, i.e., what they hope to accomplish is elected. If it is there, it is well hidden.

For some unknown reason (no I'm not thinking BM's reach could explain it...) I could not get the quoted text to paste into one reply.

This is getting thick and stinky.

DMK, I retyped that text that wouldn't paste here.

Something is really stinky when there is no evidence on the entire website that she has been nominated.

1 members found this post helpful.

There is nothing. But I think they at least owe it to the membership to at least pretend to be transparent.

JJ - it's not purged - if you go through News/Media, there are all sorts of press releases about her original nomination, so her name is out there. I didn't even see the link at the bottom - just went though the top menu. But it would be helpful if the link to the entire slate of candidates was working.

It would also be a nice professional touch (at this late stage in the game) if they would at least have some sort of position paper from each candidate about what they hope to achieve. If I wanted to responsibly reach out to the board, it would be nice to base it on something more concrete than a really bad taste from the way this was handled.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Good thing I'm not a conspiracy theorist.
    This did make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    Another Interesting Election: This One's for USHJA PresidentPublished: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 11:48 PM Updated: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 12:18 AM

By Nancy Jaffer/For The Star-Ledger

http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in..._ones_for.html
    The actions and words of Mary Babick are a fine example of the class and professionalism that she possesses, in direct contrast to the lack of those qualities exhibited by Mr. Moroney.
    I,not being a member of the USHJA, obviously cannot
    e-mail the board members with my 2 cents. However I really, really, hope that all of you who are members will e-mail and will encourage your friends (the more active and influencial the better) to do so as well.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 21, 2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: remove full text of article in quote

4 members found this post helpful.

I had thought it was David O'Connor who "reached out to the jumpers..." at least that's the way I recall hearing it. In the 9 years that BM has been the President, what is ONE thing he's initiate/offered to the jumper side of the organization?

This is the only place I can find the "original" (?) Full slate for every position:
    https://www.ushja.org/content/news/pr.aspx?id=908
    If link doesn't work, here is the text:

USHJA Announces Candidates for Election

October 19, 2012

Lexington, KY – Earlier this year, the USHJA Board of Directors approved a new governance structure which provides for the membership to nominate Officer and Director At-Large candidates for the Nominating Committee’s consideration, as well as direct nominations to the Board through the Working Groups and Affiliates Council. Candidates were required to accept their recommendation for consideration by the Nominating Committee and to submit written answers to a series of questions the Nominating Committee created. Thirty candidate recommendations were received from the membership.

As a result of several meetings and careful consideration of all candidates, the Nominating Committee provided the Board of Directors with the slate of candidates listed below for election to the Board of Directors in December. David Distler commented that “Serving on the Nominating Committee was a learning experience. It was a fair and equitable process and I was happy to be a part of it.”

Nominating Committee member Shelley Campf shared her thoughts on the process, “I was thoroughly impressed with several of the recommended potential candidates with regard to their vision of what the USHJA is, where it came from, and where it is going. I feel we are really fortunate to have had such a diverse, educated and thoughtful group to choose from.”

The USHJA Nominating Committee includes members elected by the Jumper Working Group, Hunter Working Group, Affiliates Council and Board of Directors. The Committee consists of Chairman Howard Pike, Liza Boyd, Shelley Campf, Tara Clausen, Rick Cram, David Distler, Christine McCrea, Sally Ike and Streett Moore.

USHJA President Bill Moroney stated, “I have always felt that a duty of leadership is to cultivate capable, willing and knowledgeable people as future leaders, and when they are found, to step aside and let them come forward. Mary Babick exceeds the Presidential qualities and skills approved by the Board of Directors, and I firmly believe she will responsibly and capably lead this dynamic organization into the future. We must commend the members of the Nominating Committee for their discretion and extensive work to bring forth a slate of knowledgeable candidates to guide this organization.”

Slate of candidates for election to the Board of Directors in December:

National Officers
    President – Mary Babick
    Secretary – Larry Langer
    Treasurer – Skip Thornbury

Jumper Working Group Directors
    Jumper Discipline Vice President – David Distler
    Jumper Working Group Director – Candice King
    Jumper Working Group Director – Margie Engle
    Jumper Working Group Director – Anne Kursinski

Hunter Working Group Directors
    Hunter Discipline Vice President – Mary Babick
    Hunter Working Group Director – Shelley Campf
    Hunter Working Group Director – Liza Boyd
    Hunter Working Group Director – Colleen McQuay

Affiliates Council Directors
    Streett Moore
    Lori Cramer

At-Large Directors
    Debbie Bass
    Bob Bell
    Karen Healey
    Susan Harding
    Britt McCormick
    Cheryl Rubenstein
    Eric Straus

USHJA Foundation President Director
    Lynn Jayne

The slate will be presented for election to office during the USHJA Board of Directors meeting on Tuesday, December 4, during the USHJA Annual Meeting, which runs from December 3-6, 2012, in Miami, Florida.

Back to News & Media

One of the hardest and yet most essential things for any new organization to do is to hand off leadership to the next generation. You see this in dysfunctional governments all the time, where the current leader believes he is the One True Savior and that no other person can do the job adequately. Often this person does start out respected and highly capable... but being able to hand off one's vision to an able successor is perhaps more essential than being able to run the organization in the first place.

Moroney has served for 8 years. It is time for someone else to serve, if nothing else than to prove that the USHJA is more than a single person's vision and output. If there is more work for him to do, let him do so in a supporting role.

All organizations, if they are to survive, need to be bus-independent. That's computer hacker joke slang for "the project can survive any one member being hit by a bus." It's time for USHJA to prove that it is larger than any one person.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

3 members found this post helpful.

I sent an email, though I'm sure it will be ignore! hahaha
    Board of Directors,

You maybe thinking, "Why is a 15 year old rider emailing me on this fine day? Don't they realize that we don't have time for their petty complaints when we have an organization to run?"; this is exactly what I expect you to do. Run USHJA to your utmost ability. While I have complete faith that each and every one of the board are outstanding citizens and each and every one of you is in it for the better good of the sport, occasionally I have my doubts. I find, as a member of USHJA and as an active competitor in our sport, that the voices of many of the members aren't being heard. Additionally, I feel that to be heard as a member, you must be a high rank competitor, participant, or donator. I implore you all to address this fault: the general members of USHJA must be heard. I believe that there needs to be a higher level of membership involvement within the governing of USHJA. Our opinions need not only be heard, but action must be taken upon them.
    Foremost is the issue of the upcoming election within our organization. While I wish the best of luck to both Ms. Babick and Mr. Moroney, I do not favor the way this election is being held. How do any of the USHJA members have a say in who will become their next president? They do not. As a junior member, I in no way expect to be allowed to vote, however I do believe that the senior members in good standing should be allowed to voice their opinion on who will become president. I move that USHJA use a voting system to decide on office positions, whether it be in this election, or the next. If it is good enough for the United States of America, it should be good enough for USHJA. While I trust that you and your fellow board members will vote for who you feel will run our organization the best in your opinion, how are we to be sure you are truly representing the wide range of people that are members of USHJA? The non-competitors, the "C" show riders, and the "B" show riders are all at a minority to the members, like myself, competing at the A/AA shows across the country, and rarely receive the recognition and voice that they deserve. I simply ask that as a board, this situation is discussed.
    Lastly I ask for equality. I feel that the membership group is highly biased towards those that are already showing at the highest level of competition, with little to no consideration that may not have the talent, time, and money to compete at these levels. It seems to me that the USHJA and USEF skirt around the idea of our sport costing money. I have read the articles, and it always seems to be phrased, "resources", when in reality it appears that as an organization, we simply do not wish to address the concept of the expense of our sport. Rather than making the USHJA more and more exclusive, we need to attempt to create a pathway for those that might not have the "resources". Programs like the EAP have great helped this, but occasionally the lack of funding in our sport means that many riders cannot even make it to the EAP level.
    I have dedicated three years of my life to this sport and I truly hope were not wasted. I have worked harder than anyone I know to make it to the level I'm at in a short amount of time, and each time I have approached a goal, small circumstances have cut me down. By taking action in USHJA, I hope that juniors like me, who may or may not pay any sort of attention to the governance of the sport, will succeed quicker and farther than I have because of our fantastic board of directors and the decision that senior members will help them make.

Sincerely,
    XX

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    The actions and words of Mary Babick are a fine example of the class and professionalism that she possesses, in direct contrast to the lack of those qualities exhibited by Mr. Moroney.
    I,not being a member of the USHJA, obviously cannot
    e-mail the board members with my 2 cents. However I really, really, hope that all of you who are members will e-mail and will encourage you friends (the more active and influencial the better) to do so as well.
    If you've even thought about membership, I'd email. I know my opinion won't matter for much, but maybe if someone tells they WHY they're not joining, someone will stop and think about it. But then, I may just be too idealistic...

Random thought here, but could a positive change group be formed for the hunter/jumper world like the Arab people have done? For those not familiar:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/prom...ositivechange/

The goal of this group is to address issues within AHA by finding a solution and bringing the solution to AHA instead of complaining. We're finding that when we have an idea for how to fix it, and it's already been hashed out/looked at by a few hundred/thousand people, AHA is more receptive to our thoughts/ideas. When a complaint is brought, not so much. We have everyone from breeders to judes to endurance riders to sporthorse people to main ring involved, and we're all throwing ideas around like crazy. It's a lot of fun, educational, and we're getting somewhere. Even if the changes are small, they're starting to happen.

"Thank you for your e mail to the Board of Directors. I have given a lot of thought to how our membership should be represented and I am quite interested in studying other member organizations to see how their officers are elected. I have spent some time working on this project and have not yet come to a conclusion as to the best course.

For the moment, I feel that asking for people's opinions is the best temporary plan. I enjoyed reading your letter and hope that you and I will cross paths many times throughout the course of our horse lives.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mary Babick"
    I knew I liked her.

Does anyone know who the key contacts would be here

So what about this? An email from USHJA saying the deadline for nominations was 9/15?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-deadline-9-15

Does anyone else have a copy of this email? I can't find one in my old mail. But I do remember getting it.

How is it that additional names were accepted?

And now there is no place where the ENTIRE slate is listed?

Short and sweet email sent (CC'd to Ms. Babick, Shelby French, and Mr. Moroney):

"Dear Board of Directors,

I am writing to voice my support of Mary Babick for the position of President of the USHJA. As a member of the rank-and-file working adult amateur contingent, I feel that my interests have not been well represented by the USHJA over the past 8 years. I feel that Ms. Babick would be a healthy injection of new leadership that our sport and our organization desperately needs, and I would therefore ask that you please vote to elect her at the upcoming annual meeting. Mr. Moroney has worked hard for our organization during his tenure, but I believe that it is time for a new leader who will take the USHJA in a new direction that will better serve the core of its membership.

Thank you for your consideration and for your service to our wonderful sport."
    friend of bar.ka

The BOD list with emails is on page 1 of this thread.

^^ and Shelby French's email is sfench at ushja dot org.
    friend of bar.ka