The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Maxium soaked alfalfa per feeding?

How much alfalfa (soaked cubes) do you consider a "max" per feeding per horse? I had never considered it being problematic, given that it is a roughage, but someone said something today that made me pause. If alfalfa is being fed in addition to 24/7 pasture - are there concerns about feeding too much for the gut? My understanding was the "no big feedings!" had to do with concentrates/starch.

Am I on the wrong path?

I generally follow the 5 qt rule (dry...not the water included). No more than 5 qts of anything a horse can rapidly consume. Being that alfalfa pellets are fiber but not long stem fiber and some horses would hog them down, then do not think I would feel comfortable for most of my hogs with volumes greater than that.

That said my hard keeper tends to pick and I leave him a huge munch bucket of feed which includes fiber from alfalfa pellets, BP and more with out concern. It takes him all night to polish off his munch bucket and a small flake of alfalfa hay.

Well, I could be on the wrong thinking path here, but alfalfa cubes are technically considered long stem forage, and can be used as the sole ration of forage for olders horses that need it but have a hard time with hay.

So, technically, I wouldn't see a problem feeding a large amount of alfalfa cubes because how would that be different than offering free choice (or a large amount) of alfalfa hay???

I would be careful to make sure soaked cubes aren't in an environment to ferment or mold before the horse can consume the amount given (i.e. during a humid summer weather).
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Well, I could be on the wrong thinking path here, but alfalfa cubes are technically considered long stem forage, and can be used as the sole ration of forage for olders horses that need it but have a hard time with hay.

So, technically, I wouldn't see a problem feeding a large amount of alfalfa cubes because how would that be different than offering free choice (or a large amount) of alfalfa hay???

I would be careful to make sure soaked cubes aren't in an environment to ferment or mold before the horse can consume the amount given (i.e. during a humid summer weather).

would the amount of weight be too much for the stomach? I always figured no more than 5lbs of anything (except actual hay since I doubt they could eat so much hay in a short time to overload/overdistend the stomach.) at a time.

so I would do 5lbs of cubes (wet) at a time.
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*