The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Non-Slip Girths and Saddle Pads??

I am having the worst time with saddle slippage! I use a coolmax synthetic girth with fleece edges and the coolmax lining. I also use Roma square dressage pads. Any saddle I use slips to the outside at the canter in both directions. I need suggestions for non-slip girths and for a saddle pad that will stay put. None of the saddles have the rear "V" billet system or a billet attached to the rear of the saddle. Do you think that will help? Anyone with similar experiences? Help!

I've had slipping problems w/ my mare - though saddle goes forward, not sideways. I now use a barnsby grip pad which solved about 90% of the probem, and a county logic girth. And VERY regular fittings.
    For sideways slip, the barnsby pad may help. If you have regular billets, some people say it helps to cross them - ie the back billet to the front buckle, then the front billet to back buckle.
    Also not sure my memory is correct but I believe I read that mohair girths can be helpful. The Logic is designed for a forward girth groove, so it isn't likely to be much help.
    Last, if you are riding a Haffie, have you tried any of the saddles with the hoop tree? They I think are designed more for the horse that is underendowed in the wither catagory...........
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I battled saddle slippage for years with my Arab gelding. It was frustrating, since none of the usual fixes seemed to work.

Then I bought this:
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=92506

My gelding is happy and nicely forward now, and I am confident that the saddle will stay put. Win-win for both of us. I highly recommend it.
    Sheilah

I just got this one from Horze.com, $22.50 with the 50% off coupon.

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Gel-Pad/1...gid=Saddlepads

Totally love it! FAR superior to the flat black neoprene non-slip pads, and similar/better quality than similar (and $$$$) pads from other manufacturers
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

I have a high withered hanoverian gelding and his saddle always slips back terribly, especially the jumping saddle. I use a cheapo neoprene square non-slip pad under my square schooling pad, and swap out to a clean one every 1-3 rides (they don't work when they're dirty or dusty). A neoprene lined girth (for schooling only) helps a bit too.
    I used to have trouble with my saddle slipping sideways on my oldenburg mare when I first bought her. Not so much to the outside, hers wanted to go left. But it ended up being a conditioning/balance thing. Now that she's better trained, her body stays straight and so does the saddle, and the problem has completely gone away.
    If yours is always sliding to the outside, I'd look at how your horse is traveling and how you're sitting. Are you stepping more in your outside stirrup? Does your saddle slip to the outside when someone else rides your horse? when you ride with no stirrups? When you ride a different horse? Just some thoughts.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I battled saddle slippage for years with my Arab gelding. It was frustrating, since none of the usual fixes seemed to work.

Then I bought this:
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=92506

My gelding is happy and nicely forward now, and I am confident that the saddle will stay put. Win-win for both of us. I highly recommend it.
    Sheilah
    Idaho - this on the top side is almost identical to the Barnsby I use. Can you tell me if it has anything on the underside of the pad - ie to prevent pad from slipping on the horse's back..?
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

The Success pads are awesome! Grippy top and underside. I love that the underside at the withers is a lycra material so it won't rub.

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Su...FYKK4Aod8FcAWg
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Idaho - this on the top side is almost identical to the Barnsby I use. Can you tell me if it has anything on the underside of the pad - ie to prevent pad from slipping on the horse's back..?
    No, nothing on the bottom side of the pad. For whatever reason, though, the pad stays put. It doesn't bunch up underneath the saddle, it doesn't travel at all.

I really, really like how well it works. It looks sharp on my bay gelding, too!
    Sheilah