The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What horrible news! Losing a horse is bad enough, but under those circumstances...utterly heartbreaking. Weatherford, you have my most sincere condolences.

My condolences for this terrible loss and the pain that went with it for Weatherford and her mare.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

My sincere condolences. RIP Leah

So sorry Weatherford, my condolences on your loss
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

City of delusion in the state of total denial

May Leah run in peace beyond the Rainbow Bridge. Weatherford, so very sorry for your loss.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Many condolences for your loss and hugs for you. What a horrible thing to go through for both you and Leah.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Weatherford, I am so sorry.

Perhaps I get a little more than most how difficult it can be to find places here in Ireland. And when people talk about mud, you have no idea. The ground has had very little drying the entire year and that's not being dramatic. As a matter of fact the ground scares me to what type of things can be lurking in it with regards to toxic stuff. I've been putting out plenty of hay and mine come in at night, but still worries me. I had a colic about a month ago in a mare that has never had a blip in all the time I've owned her and I bred her. My vet knew where I was and it still felt like it was taking forever. Mare kept trying to go down, she was blowing, and I was in bits. Thankfully it turned out ok.

I'm so sorry again Weatherford. I can only imagine the circumstances and what you went through. Hugs.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm so very sorry. Dealing with colic is horrifying even when help is available - my heart bleeds for you and your poor mare.
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

I am so very sorry for your pain and loss
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

((((((((HHHUUUGGGSSS))))))))
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Weatherford, I am so sorry. Colic is horrible, and perhaps even more heartbreaking than not being able to "fix" it is being unable to take their pain away. I'll be thinking of you and your mare. I hope that you take solace in all that you were able to do and provide for her during the better times. I am sure that you simply being there at the end was a comfort in itself.

So very sad
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

My deepest condolences, Weatherford. Such a tragic loss...
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

This was such a scary story to follow on Facebook, and I was so sad to read her post yesterday that Leah was gone. Such a gorgeous mare, and such a tragic loss.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

So sad... deepest condolences.

The horror story continued today.

I'd thought, I think we all thought, that someone had brought a backhoe by yesterday night to inter Leah. That did not happen. It was raining and cold and, of course today was Sunday.

Weatherford's dog Sofie was reluctant to go out this morning because Leah's body remained in the driveway.

At least someone thoughtful apparently brought over a rug or blanket or something to cover Leah during the night.

I cannot imagine living through this, with no timely vet, no help and nobody present who cares.

I should add that while Di can't respond right now, she made it clear that she appreciates the support she's received both here and on FB.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

so sad :hugs:

Thanks all. it's been a sad time - my show horse also witnessed it from his stall and was a tad freaked. I let him sniff the body then turned him out in the back field. I think everyone, except the babies, knew what was happening, and they all came to the fence to say goodbye. Horses are sensitive, you know. I held her head until she started to fall down and thrash, when all I could do was talk (yell and cry) to her and tell her NOT to try to get up (frightening) and that it was OK to put her head down - I hope she heard me.

I never rode Leah as much as she deserved - I am sure she would have gone far as she had a HUGE heart and desire that I only see in great horses. But I had too many horses to ride (and being alone makes it tougher). I did breed her and have one, three next June, fabulous filly by an International Connemara stallion (who has produced FEI ranked show jumper and eventer ponies). She is cheeky (unlike her Mum Leah, who was sweet and very, very giving) and I can't keep her in any field she doesn't want to be in. But, unfortunately, I do have to sell her (along with some of these other babies). Of course, those of you who have known me since the inception of this BB know darned well that I NEVER sell horses.

Anyway, Leah had not gotten in foal for the past three years, so I had brought her in last week (honestly, she had jumped out and come in by herself) - I was looking forward to riding her again. I am glad I was with her and now I need to go out and hug each and every one of my beasties - even though, or rather especially since, it's nasty, pouring rain, windy, and the mud is eyeball deep.

Thanks again for all your support.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Sending more cyber hugs this morning.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Sending hugs and warmest wishes for your healing.
    D.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/