The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    I don't pay too much attention to breeds much myself unless it has something in it I'm not really wanting like a gaited breed. There is no reason that she can't be marketed as a TB cross and if asked what the other half is say it's suspected that it's Hanoverian but you don't know for sure. If the horse is winning it will be marketable no matter what I think. When you say " due to the rate of injury a grade mare is hard to sell and price is considerably less if she is grade." Are you meaning that IF a grade horse were to get hurt it would be harder to sell than say a QH? Or that a grade horse has a higher chance of getting hurt? Or neither of those two? I want to make sure that I'm reading it correctly!
    Grade barrel horses! Sorry I should have clarified. There is a much higher rate of injury in barrel horses so a lot of people buy mares with the intent that if they are injured then they can just breed them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    This confused me. I interpreted this to mean grade mares have a higher rate on injury? Did I read that wrong?
    I think the implication is barrel horses are prone to injury so people who buy them are worried about breeding as a backup plan if the horse is injured.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I don't see any issue with buying the horse as a h/j prospect. Once she is performing in the h/j area, no one will care about her breed. FYI, most people would refer to her as a "warmblood cross" not as a "grade" horse.

But, don't breed her. Like her, her offspring will be worth very little unless/until they are actually performing well in the ring.

well a grade mare cannot be sold for much of anything as a breeding prospect--they have no pedigree. they do not have a higher rate of injury because they are a "mutt" with no papers.
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

Papers do not outshine performance EQTrainer. Isn't it funny how everyone assumed it was some QH cross from thread title. Then all the sudden Hanoverian is mentioned and everyone is like, oh that's ok. Really? Nope you don't ride papers. You ride generations of horses that all brought something to the table to give you a decent horse for the job at hand. Even TB's. America had the best TB bloodlines for sport, yet they've near enough disappeared because nobody cared about papers.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Papers do not outshine performance EQTrainer. Isn't it funny how everyone assumed it was some QH cross from thread title. Then all the sudden Hanoverian is mentioned and everyone is like, oh that's ok. Really? Nope you don't ride papers. You ride generations of horses that all brought something to the table to give you a decent horse for the job at hand. Even TB's. America had the best TB bloodlines for sport, yet they've near enough disappeared because nobody cared about papers.

Terri
    Terri, I personally couldnt agree more. In fact I have a lot of personal opinions on this subject LOL but the OP asked about resale and IME papers on a mare can be a factor in ease of sale.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

If she ends up as a nice horse, especially if she proves it in the show ring, no one will care what she is. They may ask for details, but instead of saying "grade" (which makes me think draft x QH x breeding stock Paint x TWH etc...you get the point) tell them Warmblood cross without papers (unless she really is NICE and you can get her Pre Mare Book papers somewhere- although even then I wouldn't bother or breed her). It would be even more helpful if she ends up being a packer/kid's type- that gives future owners the ability to pass her down or along through the barn as a teacher type.

Obviously a well-bred verifiable mare will be more valuable because if she is injured, she has value somewhere else. But that doesn't mean there is no market for a NICE crossbred mare.

Also, people aren't always honest about what their horse is anyway. Not everyone knows exactly what their "warmblood" is and often times what you think is a warmblood could be something different anyway. For example, I was a working student at an Irish Sport Horse breeding and training barn. We got in a random mare for resale that was lovely! Tall, sane, honest, and easy easy easy. Owners said she was TB, we guessed TB x QH, and left it at that. A family came out to try her (they ended up buying her) and my [old] trainer and BM both lied to them and said yep, she's an Irish Sport Horse! Because it went along with their farm image and they prided themselves on ISH's being sane, sound, blah blah blah. That kind of dishonesty shocked me, but the family believed it. I'm sure they would have bought her either way (she was NICE) but it goes to show you people aren't always buying what they think they are anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I think the implication is barrel horses are prone to injury so people who buy them are worried about breeding as a backup plan if the horse is injured.
    Ohh gotchya! Makes sense.