The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I feel young at 63
    That makes me The Baby at 62

DH started riding at 56yo, went on to show H/J and Event w/me.
    He'd be riding still, but sadly I lost him at 70yo.
    I have 2 horses at home and take care of my 5ac farmette by myself.
    Hope to be doing it still, well into my Golden Years
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

A fellow at the barn where I bought my horse is still showing Paso Finos in his upper 80s. Granted, a gaited horse is easier on old bones, but still . . . .
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I know a gentleman who is still riding at.... 102!!!!!! He didnt take up the sport until he was 82. Amazing man. Sharp as a tack.

Quote Originally Posted by CruzN View Post
    I know a gentleman who is still riding at.... 102!!!!!! He didnt take up the sport until he was 82. Amazing man. Sharp as a tack.
    SEE! I told y'all sixty and seventy plus was just young whippersnappers.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Well, Miss Connie Reeves, my mother's camp counselor in the 1930s, might still be riding had she not been dumped at age 101 by her 28 yo horse (died of cardiac in the hospital a few days later, she had broken some neck vertebrae but was not paralyzed).

There exists a cool video of Miss Connie but don't have time to dig it up just now, I have posted it in other threads in these parts.

The oldest rider at our barn is 67 or 68, and he takes his Tennessee Walker on 10+ mile trail rides a couple times a week.

The oldest student I've taught was probably in her mid-80s. She had hunted and shown a lot in her youth, and just wanted to putter around at the walk and trot. She was a really nice rider, and the 25 y.o. schoolie that she rode (who'd been a show horse in his youth) made a great pair. She used to tell me all kinds of stories about her hunting days when she took her caffeine-free Diet Coke breaks. And she used to come with her "gentleman friend".......who was noticeably younger than her. Awesome lady!

The subject was: "Oldest Rider/Whip

Lloyd Lyons whipped at Sedgefield into his 80's.

I did not know him very well; hunted with him only once but he was all over the place.

I was told that he pulled his horse all over the country...out west, wherever.

I am 84. I was jumping fences wherever I came to them, up to 4' until three years or so ago when my good horse died.

I am now working on an OTTB that I hope will take me to the hounds.

I think riding has kept me going. I know people who retired at 62 or 65 that were stronger than I was at that age and can't walk across the room without huffing and puffing like they ran a mile.

The Lazyboy and Judge Judy will ruin you as it did them!

My BO is 82 or 83. She did her Century Ride last year and still rides 3 or 4 times a week on an approx. 3rd level horse. She has trained several horses to FEI levels and is a recognized judge, I think an "S," though I understand she may retire from that because she and her husband want to travel more!

FWIW, I bought a 2.5 year old when I was 62 (what WAS I thinking?!?!?). It was a wild ride for a few years, but he's settling down now, and I'm 67.5(that is, I've survived so far!) . A 16.2 h.h Araloosa can be a very exciting ride! He's a pretty fancy mover and we are schooling 2nd level. I hope to show him 1st level in 2013. Lack of $$$ and a broken arm prevented us from doing that this year.